How do carb restorers clean the outside of the carb?

-
Sno Bowl toilet bowl cleaner(dilute hydrochloric acid) will strip a carb down to the raw metal finish quickly and will also eat the carb if you leave it in there too long. I have taken carbs that had water in them and had caused corrosion that this stuff ate out no problem. From my experience with it I wouldn't leave it in there any longer than 10 minutes. And rinse THOROUGHLY.

I've been using an ultrasonic cleaner for around 40 years. I am a pinstriper and clean my brushes and airbrushes in it and have used it religiously for any tool or parts from my car which fits in it, it has a 2 quart tub. To clean tools you'll need the US cleaner with a stainless steel tub, a timer and one without a heater as the water or whatever you use in it will heat itself. I personally use a cleaner called Rapid Remover which is a citric cleaner with D Lemonine, I use it full strength. A good US will set you back a good $175. and getting one at Harbor Freight will just waste your money. Here is a link to my website for anyone interested in my job http://inflite.tripod.com/

Awesome work! I picked up a pinstripe brush a while back but gotta get better at it.

Sno Bowl toilet bowl cleaner(dilute hydrochloric acid) will strip a carb down to the raw metal finish quickly and will also eat the carb if you leave it in there too long. I have taken carbs that had water in them and had caused corrosion that this stuff ate out no problem. From my experience with it I wouldn't leave it in there any longer than 10 minutes. And rinse THOROUGHLY.

I do not doubt this input one bit LOL and believe him when he says not to leave it in too long.

we use to throw balls of tin foil in pop bottles and pour that stuff in and screw the cap on,shake it real quick and throw it and RUN and in a matter of minutes...sometimes second .....you had a bomb that made one heck of a BOOM!

( DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME THOSE OF YOU WHO JUST HAD A LIGHT BULB POP ABOVE YOUR HEAD LOL.....ITS VERY DANGEROUS AND WE WERE STUPID KIDS GROWING UP LOL.....JUST USING THIS AS AN EXAMPLE TO ITS POWER)

because the chemical reaction between this toilet bowl cleaner and and the metal would eat the metal and release gas's and what not.

BUT if you want it to clean your parts fast you will want the original formula (blue cap and label I believe "maybe the green" can't remember which.....and you do not want the "gel" you want the liquid)

after he mentioned this I bet it would clean a carb up in no time.....as well as a variety of car parts

I'm going with StokerScamp on this one. The tumblers like you would use to polish your brass cases as in reloading would work wonders seems to me.
Small Block

If you blast it, you ruin it, as far as I'm concerned. The surface finish can't be duplicated once blasted. It's a little bit shiny, and a little bit porous. That disgusting looking, chlorinated stuff that stings your eyes a bit, and has an oil floating on top to prevent it from evaporating is the stuff. It will dissolve anything on the carb. If it's corroded, well then you're screwed. That metal can't be put back, but blasting will surely ruin the appearance, plus I don't know how one can guarantee they get all that media out of all the passages.

I had a carter snad blasted eons ago, came out looking white and felt like sandpaper. Pretty much ruined it but I bought it for 5 bucks and the shop next door did blasting so it was free too. Used the old berrymans (circa 1985) on a Holley and it came out dark gray, no more gold on it. I think I left it in there for about 2 hours. I recently used Berrymans again (CA edition) on a Edelbrock and it came out very nice, still had the shine to it (they are ball burnished in a huge tumbler FYI). also used Pine-sol full strength on a Carter and the results were mediocre, still had to scrub the crud off wiht a toothbrush, but it smelled OK. I hear simple green and water at 130 degrees for 2 hours does wonders, and the 'ol Vanish toilet bowl cleaner? Never tried it but I hear anything aluminum starts to "vanish" after about 15 minutes. I like the crock pot idea. I have a brass shell vibratory cleaner (with rouge walnut, dont get this, just the straight walnut or ceramic shapes) and it works great on linkage parts, too bad I cant put the entire body in there (it does fill small holes with the walnut crud though).

Restoring chromate finishes on carburetors
Posted on Tuesday 15 June 2010
Let’s say you have a typical, reasonable condition, not-seized muscle car Holley or Rochester Quadrajet. The bodies of these carbs are green chromate-finished zinc; the throttle bodies are natural aluminum. In my old carburetor shop (now closed) we would remove the throttle plates, choke plate and all shafts and fittings before cleaning.

For your own sake, remember that I’m presenting this information only for reference purposes – you must use your own judgment and be sure that you are aware of any hazards present if you’re going to try any of these operations. Some of the chemicals and procedures used below are dangerous and are for professional use only. ‘Nuff said.

Here is a typical cleaning sequence for a fully disassembled carb:

Degrease: I use lacquer thinner, gunwash grade. This stuff is flammable and you don’t want to breath the vapors. Use caution. An overnight soak followed by a thorough brush cleaning is sufficient. Use a wood-handled bristle brush, not a synthetic one (they will fall apart). Work outside or in a fume hood.You can also use commercial carb cleaner. If your cleaner contains dichloromethane or tetracholoroethylene (2-layer type cleaner) DO NOT soak aluminum parts any longer than necessary. They will corrode if left overnight. Many bike carbs and SU’s have been ruined this way.
Air dry thoroughly and blow out with air. Wear eye protection.
Acid soak. I use a commercial metal cleaner which consists of mainly phosphoric acid and detergent. Soak for a couple of minutes until fizzing is evident and ‘white rust’ is removed. Don’t overdo it or your carb will be destroyed! If you don’t have this cleaner or you aren’t restoring the chromate finish later, you can use vinegar instead. It won’t attack the finish as fast, but will remove crud with a bit of brushing. Again, don’t overdo it.
Rinse thoroughly in hot running water.
Air dry and blow out very thoroughly. The carb must be bone dry for the next step. Bake in a 200 F oven for half an hour if unsure.
This and the following steps are only performed if you’re going to restore the original chromate finish.
Glass bead: One way to get the carb down to bare, shiny white metal is to bead blast using very fine (#8) beads. Use clean beads and do the carb inside and out until it’s a shiny silver color. Use a blast cabinet and wear breathing protection.
Blow out thoroughly with a high pressure blow gun – a ’safety gun’ isn’t powerful enough. Wear full-face and eye protection and hearing protection and be thorough.
Acid rinse: Using a fresh batch of the same type of phosphoric acid/detergent as above, immerse the zinc parts of the carb only for about 30s or so. Aluminum parts don’t need this step, though they can be cleaned this way – no more than a few seconds exposure, or they’ll go dark on you.
Rinse very thoroughly in hot running water until all signs of fizzing are gone.
Immerse in the chromate solution for the appropriate time (see below). This is the trickiest part, since it depends on the concentration of the solution, the temperature and on the type of carb – not all zinc alloys are the same. I will say more about the chromate solution below, but for now, suffice to say that it’s dangerous, expensive and tricky to use. You can immerse both zinc and aluminum parts for corrosion protection, though only the zinc parts will pick up the green colour.
Rinse thoroughly in COLD running water until all traces of coloured chromate solution are gone. Hot water will wreck the finish at this point.
Air dry. Blow out with clean compressed air, thoroughly as before.
If everything is done right, the zinc parts of the carb will be an iridescent olive-green colour, just like new. Be warned though, it’s tough to get it right.

If you’re doing a backyard resto, you can stop after step 5. Usually, it’s best not to remove the finish (step 6) unless you’re going to redo the chromate. So, I would stop after the vinegar rinse if that’s the case. Now you can invest in a can of Eastwood carb finish and spray the carb. It’ll look OK from a distance, and even better when the hood is closed.

About the chromate solution

This consists mainly of chromium (VI) oxide (aka chromium trioxide) dissolved in water with a bit of nitric acid added. These are dangerous chemicals in untrained hands!

If you want to try, you can obtain the chromate mix (solid) from Atotech. Minimum quantity is 100 lbs – enough for a lifetime. Follow the mixing directions and prepare a solution of about 30 g / L of the solid mix in water. Add about 1 mL / L of concentrated nitric acid.

With this solution, it takes a 10 s soak for a typical Holley or Rochester carb to form the chromate coating, OEM style. The picture above shows a 1970 big-block Quadrajet that was refinished using this procedure.
As I said, this isn’t really practical or advisable for most people.

Info from http://oldcarblog.com/

~Michael

Mike, Ya lost me on the third paragraph. LOL I can see now that there is no simple answer to this solution and a full restoration should be left to the professionals. By following the procedures you listed, it's easy to see how the pros get $3-400 for a carb resto and what you described is just the cleaning portion of the procedure. Thanks for your knowledge. toolman

-
Back