How Do I Clean My Edelbrock Intake???

-

Glow Worm

"Not Your Grandmaw's 318"
Reaction score
My Edelbrockk, Air Gap intake manifold has some "brownish" discoloration in a few spots...How do I clean it? How do I clean the enite manifold? (NOTE: I have an ENDURASHINE carburetor... I don't want to screw it up......

:cussing: Unless you take it off the engine, you're screwed, Glow Worm. I had the same problem on my Jeep, and I realized that unless you want to spend hours with a toothbrush and some rubbing compound, there is no effective way to do it.

The problem with the Edelbrock manifolds are that they are rough to the touch, and anodized/coated. The best way to keep a manifold clean is to polish it and powdercoat it, or just powdercoat it with clear or the color of your choice. Painting it is another option, especially if you can build up enough paint to make everything smooth( er ), like what Eldubb, DVJ and AbodyJoe do to their engines.

Unless someone has a better solution, get ready for temporary intake removal. Dirt/oil/water/other clings to the gritty surface and bakes, which should explain the brown spots.

P.S. What are the specs on that motor, and how much power is it putting out?

With a nice coat of paint on the manifold, cleanup should be no problem. Now, if you insist on keeping it bare aluminum, try wheel cleaner. DO NOT use the etching type unless you are willing to remove/mask off everything. However the etching type will make it look like new (well almost, you will never get it looking new).

urchinhead said:
:cussing: Unless you take it off the engine, you're screwed, Glow Worm. I had the same problem on my Jeep, and I realized that unless you want to spend hours with a toothbrush and some rubbing compound, there is no effective way to do it.

The problem with the Edelbrock manifolds are that they are rough to the touch, and anodized/coated. The best way to keep a manifold clean is to polish it and powdercoat it, or just powdercoat it with clear or the color of your choice. Painting it is another option, especially if you can build up enough paint to make everything smooth( er ), like what Eldubb, DVJ and AbodyJoe do to their engines.

Unless someone has a better solution, get ready for temporary intake removal. Dirt/oil/water/other clings to the gritty surface and bakes, which should explain the brown spots.

P.S. What are the specs on that motor, and how much power is it putting out?

318 bored .020 over.
360 Bowl ported heads 2.02 1.60
All new valve springs, guides, seals
Comp cam 20-309-4 268/276 .464" 9.2 to 1 compression
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake
New water pump, oil pump, rocker arms/shafts, pushrods
H beam rods
New oil pan/chrome valve covers
Moly rings
Edelbrock 600 CFM Endurashine carburetor.
Balanced
Ported
Spitfire Headers
Mopar "Orange Box" electronic ignition
Underdrive polished aluminum pulleys
and $$$$$$$$$$$$ (of course)

Mike Liston (MRL Performance) built it. All he said was "It will put out well over 300 H. P."
That's all I know.........or maybe I ain't tellin.... :lol:

I use an Orange citrus cleaner and small nylon brushes.
Heat the motor a little, not too hot. Cover the carb. distr, elect boxes with plastic bags. Tie the ones on the carb and distrib. Soak it down with the cleaner let it stand for about 10 minutes then scrub and hose it off. Then use paper towels or rags to soak up the clean water all around. Works for me!

IMG_02421-1.jpg

-
Back