how do I get my #$%@##$%^% windows clean?

-

DRENO

Reaction score
I am probably not alone on this but i am really frustrated.I have tried Windex,spray foam,just a chamois,or wash it with soap and water,let it dry and live with the water spots.:angry7: I give up,what is everbody else doing?8)

The towel you use to dry makes a big difference.... the "paper" towels work the best. If it is soft it retains moisture and that is what leaves streaks. I have even heard of people using news paper... but get the towels that are most "paper" like. Wash the window with soap and water, then dry with a good set of paper towels. Do not do it in direct sunlight.

P.S. Another thing that works great for bugs, sap, and water spots is steel wool. Get super fine 0000 steel wool.. Works wonders. Get it a bit wet with soap and water or windex and scrub... won't scratch glass at all. Also removes overspray.

know this sounds nuts but I have used Coke on a rag first than window cleaner and newspaper to remove spots

I use Dri-Wash,haven't washed my car for year's,and it's great for windows.Use the Classic formula.

3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup ammonia, 3 tablespoons hydrogen peroxide. I got this off a boating forum. It even cleans my computer monitors, where commercial just smeared the remaining crap on it.

if you finish with windex- use newspaper to polish. I dare anyone to do it, and say it isn't better. lol.

Old water spot's that has been there forever, 1 part vinegar 3 part water and use a news paper and get it dry after scrubing with a news paper is what the old widows need it seem's

My mom showed this to me years ago.

Vinegar is also good. I clean my glasses with it. Newspaper to buff; I don't know why, but it works(not the colored, only the black and white).

I use newspaper. Its cheap (our local paper sucks anyhow) and works. Leaves no streaks. As far as acid rain etching, use vinegar like Memike said.

Don't use the shiny "women's sale" newspaper tho, it has too much ink and just sucks all around. I use the sports section to start barbeque's and clean windows.

i use turtle wax( paste ). let it harden,wipe off. works a LOT better than windex, and removes bug slime

Ever since I used Cerium Oxide, (jewelers glass polish) on my windows last year to remove scratches and impurities in the 37 year old glass, I have noticed that my windows stay cleaner longer and do not streak as much or at all when I wash them.
I use invisible glass glass cleaner and have not had any issues with keeping the glass clean. Wipe the glass with "paper" towels, not the soft cloth type.

Along the lines of what dustermaniac said, there is a product that my dad found called Novus. It's a polishing liquid for plastics mainly I think by market, but I used it on my glass with a razor blade to get off all the overspray the previous owner had from the paint job. I'm pretty happy with the results, they feel pretty dang slick when I wipe them off now.

A fine steel wool.
I use it all the time.
No it wont scratch.
Try it!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies.My problem now is I don't know which one to try.:-D I will try the simple ones first I guess and see how it goes.Ordered a can/tub whatever of cerrium oxide,so I will be trying that first.I heard that newspaper was a good cleaner,someone even said to use a paste made out of ashes and a little water,it really stinks.8)

Ive been using this stuff for years and years,alot of detailers use it and you can find it at wal mart for less than $3 a can.plus it smells good,not crappy like ammonia cleaners
41RLyR%2ByfdL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
For water spots,you can try a surface clay,or this stuff called DP Glass Restorer

Ive been using this stuff for years and years,alot of detailers use it and you can find it at wal mart for less than $3 a can.plus it smells good,not crappy like ammonia cleaners
41RLyR%2ByfdL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
For water spots,you can try a surface clay,or this stuff called DP Glass Restorer

That stuff is the best. Spray on and wipe with a micro fiber towel. I let the guys at the local Streetrod store try it and even couldn't believe how well it worked. It's all they use now too. Can find it at some walmarts.

Most likely the water spots you're seeing is a result of acid rain. We have a paste we use to remove this layer of oxidation. It is called Amaze. It removes these spots with a little buffing and wiping. I always used it on my cudas windshield to get it back new looking but I have ran out so I need to get some more.

I will get some more information on the product today at work if I don't forget.

I wouldn't recommend steel wool of any kind... we have seen the results of steel wool and had to replace the ladies windshield because of hazing. It might look good after removing the spots but give it some time.

I have had good luck using good old turtle wax.

apply the paste,let sit about 15 minutes,wipe it off and the glass looks like new and repels future water....whenever I wax a car I do all the glass too.

if you finish with windex- use newspaper to polish. I dare anyone to do it, and say it isn't better. lol.

Spot on.........This was our secret weapon at the dealerships back in the 70's and 80's.......Don't know why it works, but it does. Newspaper is the deal.

Back when I detailed cars for a living there were certain things which were needed for glass: something to polish with, for those cars which had acid rain or heavy water stains; like the paste our glass pro pointed out, Sprayway, and newspaper, along with a microfiber polishing cloth.

Never knew what kind of glass I would be touching on a day to day basis and the Sprayway is formulated to work on film tint.

And for those customer who asked for it, they'd get Rain-X. Which I use on my dailies, simply because of the fact that it makes ice so much easier to scrape off.

I have had good luck using good old turtle wax.

apply the paste,let sit about 15 minutes,wipe it off and the glass looks like new and repels future water....whenever I wax a car I do all the glass too.

I had a bunch of old water spots and schmegma that I couldn't get off the Valiant glass. We tried everything and no matter what the stuff just seemed to smear. It was so bad that I thought about getting a new wind shield. Wax did the trick, inside and out!!! No more schmegma or night time glare and the water spots are long gone.

-
Back