How do I reinstall the trunk latch cover on my '64 cuda?

-

pete peterson

Reaction score
I had my '64 cuda restored, but it took ~17 months. I just got it back a few days ago. I made notes, photos, etc. of many things that I dissassembled because I stripped the exterior chrome & all of the interior before driving it to the body shop, but I didn't record the removal of the trunk latch cover. The present issue is that I cannot figure out how to reinstall the trunk latch cover. There's a tab that prevents me from getting the cover on far enough to insert the 2 screws on either side of the box. It's been so long that I don't remember the prcedure. Can anyone help? See photos. Thx,
pete

64cudaTrunkLatchBox-1.JPG

64cudaTrunkLatchBox-2.JPG

64cudaTrunkLatchBox-3.JPG

64cudaTrunkLatchBox-4.JPG

Thx Syleng1, but yours doesn't have the same opening in the box. Do you see that "tab" with the hole in it sticking out at a 90 degree
angle with respect to the latch in the top photo? That tab is my problem. I can't get the box over it ... or wherever it's supposed to go. pete

Mine is a '64. What year is yours, Syleng1? It was about 17 months when I took it off, & I don't remember the particulars of my removal. IF you take
yours off, do you see that tab that shows in my top photo? pete

Looks more like a hood latch than a trunk latch. The trunk latch should have a pop-up like what Syleng 2 shows in his photo. Looks like yours is a replacement cover too. You may have to trim it for the pop-up, or use a different trunk latch without that arm sticking out.

Well, that would be hell-arious if it weren't so far off, cudamark, but thx for your time... I've had this '64 cuda for 55 years & had it all apart, inside & out, in '76 when I had the body restored then. That was too long ago to remember things, but you'd think that I'd remember more when I stripped it inside & out 18 months ago to give it to the body man I used this time! Ha, dimentia must have set in! I took that trunk latch cover off, but for some reason, I can't remember how to get it back on. That tab in the picture is interfering. Syleng's cuda is not a '64 like mine or the latch would likely be the same as mine in the pix. Mine is original, & it is a trunk latch, not a hood latch. I guess if I cross my eyes, maybe it'd look like a hood latch, not sure. It is the original cover. I'll figure it out sooner or later. The only way the trunk latch could be the wrong one is if my body man took it off, which he didn't, & then put the wrong trunk latch on. There are no other old cudas in a pile around his shop where he may have gotten a junk trunk latch, & it'd be pretty hard for him to find one this day & age. Anywaze, what a joke. Nope, all the parts in my pix are 59 years old & they came with the car when my dad bought it way back in '64. Have a good one... or two! ;o] bye4now, pete

hmm I have the other style ready to mold now what year is yours?
What year is that from? I have the other style (and thought it was 64 only ) now in mold form and wasn't aware there was another style like yours. It looks like they made a slight change and opening fix to make it simpler to install, hmmm I'll have to model that and make that one available too! dang just found out I have the early 64 only model. and the flat toped one is 65-6.

Last edited:
Hi 66Dvert, I can't tell if you're message is to Syleng1 or to me, pete. My cuda is a '64, one of the earlier made that year I think. It doesn't help to see pix of the cover already ON & Over the trunk latch. I already know what it looks like when it's on. I need to know how to get the cover over that "tab" with the hole in it in my top photo. I may just cut it off if I never figure out how to get my cover over it without cracking the cover. It's been too long since I took it off for the body work, >18 months, & I forgot to take pix while I was taking it off. I'm working on putting chrome back on the outside for now & will get back to that cover later... pete

Mine is a 66’ and also I have the tail light covering plate - I bought that from Layson’s. #rick@laysons
It’s a one piece cardboard like product to cover the tail lights and wiring from behind.
Anyhow it is needed to seat that cover. I’ve removed all 3 years and they all tied in with the factory cardboard cover plate. On the cars. Is you cover from a barracuda originally and not from a Dart or Valiant with a proper sedan style trunk? Just asking as I am not 100% certain.
Syleng1

Hi 66Dvert, I can't tell if you're message is to Syleng1 or to me, pete. My cuda is a '64, one of the earlier made that year I think. It doesn't help to see pix of the cover already ON & Over the trunk latch. I already know what it looks like when it's on. I need to know how to get the cover over that "tab" with the hole in it in my top photo. I may just cut it off if I never figure out how to get my cover over it without cracking the cover. It's been too long since I took it off for the body work, >18 months, & I forgot to take pix while I was taking it off. I'm working on putting chrome back on the outside for now & will get back to that cover later... pete
Okay so your is a 64. hhhm is 65's like that or the flatter one like SYLENG1's is. I actually have that almost ready to remold and make some with that dip in it in the latch area BUT in your case to get it on I"d use a heat gun to warm it up a tiny bit (remember it's over 40 years old and brittle) then I'd.......Wait that's a hood latch on the trunk???? that's the same latch that's on my hood got my 65,66 dart with that little tab sticking out to hook the spring to so the unlock mechanism returns to position double check your hood latch to see if it doesn't have that spring tab on it , if so switch em around . this is what's on your trunk latch bolts now, and yes, they do fit (don't ask me how I know cause I'll lie about it) 1965 65 Dodge Dart Hood Latch Release CATCH ASSEMBLY USED OEM BARRACUDA CHARGER | eBay

what I have and am going to make. I'm thinking 64 only or maybe 65's also.edit to post , just found out it's a 64 only and the flat one is 65-6. ahh well back to the pouring phase

20210630_151120.jpg

65 hood latch see the tab
!!!!latch for hood.jpg

and trunk latch no tabs and if you slam the hood down with this on and the grill in place it's a total bugger to pop back open
!!!!latch for trunbk.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is a 66’ and also I have the tail light covering plate - I bought that from Layson’s. #rick@laysons
It’s a one piece cardboard like product to cover the tail lights and wiring from behind.
Anyhow it is needed to seat that cover. I’ve removed all 3 years and they all tied in with the factory cardboard cover plate. On the cars. Is you cover from a barracuda originally and not from a Dart or Valiant with a proper sedan style trunk? Just asking as I am not 100% certain.
Syleng1
it's from a barracuda collection I bought and want to make parts off of. but it should work okay on the darts also come to think about it. Thanks for the reply.
So yours is the 66 red cover?
hmmmm, now I have to find a 65 to check and see if it's 64-5 the same or 65-6 that are the same $#%#$^&%& another mold to make. hmm, laysons makes/has the cardboard. I might have to buy a set to make a 3some replacement covers for the different years once i figure out 65 style cover on the latch
Thanks again!

20210630_151123.jpg

IMG_5100.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

20230423_163851.jpg

20230423_170517.jpg

20230423_170550.jpg

20230423_170730.jpg

20230430_132351.jpg

Well, that would be hell-arious if it weren't so far off, cudamark, but thx for your time... I've had this '64 cuda for 55 years & had it all apart, inside & out, in '76 when I had the body restored then. That was too long ago to remember things, but you'd think that I'd remember more when I stripped it inside & out 18 months ago to give it to the body man I used this time! Ha, dimentia must have set in! I took that trunk latch cover off, but for some reason, I can't remember how to get it back on. That tab in the picture is interfering. Syleng's cuda is not a '64 like mine or the latch would likely be the same as mine in the pix. Mine is original, & it is a trunk latch, not a hood latch. I guess if I cross my eyes, maybe it'd look like a hood latch, not sure. It is the original cover. I'll figure it out sooner or later. The only way the trunk latch could be the wrong one is if my body man took it off, which he didn't, & then put the wrong trunk latch on. There are no other old cudas in a pile around his shop where he may have gotten a junk trunk latch, & it'd be pretty hard for him to find one this day & age. Anywaze, what a joke. Nope, all the parts in my pix are 59 years old & they came with the car when my dad bought it way back in '64. Have a good one... or two! ;o] bye4now, pete
it's a hood latch I just went out and looked at a friends 64 .yup hood latch, you got em reversed.

Hi Syleng1. Thx. Yes, I have the cardboard cover that goes across the back of the trunk & surrounds the Trunk latch assembly from the bottom. However, that cover is not going to help me with the interference provided by that "tab" that shows in my 1st, top, photo. I've got that cover in the garage. It's of no significance with respect to the tab issue... I'm busy putting chrome pieces back on for now & will get back to my blue trunk latch cover at a later date. I may analyze things & just cut the tab off if it has no function. TBD... I don't know why the heck I cannot remember the details that I went through when I took it off 18 mos. ago, but dimensia may be taking its toll, idk. I am 71 yo, so... It may help if someone with a '64 cuda would show photos of the sequence involved in taking the cover off of the trunk latch & then putting it back on, but even then, it would only help if his trunk latch has the same tab sticking out as mine has. Everything in my photos is original for my 1964 Barracuda, no variants. Good day, & bye4now, pete

Sorry 66Dvert. My 4 photos shows my trunk latch. You are totally wrong. My trunk would not close & latch if I had a hood latch back there. The same assy. is in the trunk as the one that came from the factory in 1964. I don't know why some people think they know more about my car than I do since I've owned it for 55 years & it was in my family for 59 years, but I run into someone like that periodically. I've done almost all of the work on my car for the whole 55 years that I've owned it. I don't know what to do for you. It's obvious by looking at Syleng1's pix that mine is the same, functionally, as his. I can send you a photo of my hood latch if it'd fix your conclusion, but it's not important. I'm the only one who knows my car... pete

Sorry 66Dvert. My 4 photos shows my trunk latch. You are totally wrong. My trunk would not close & latch if I had a hood latch back there. The same assy. is in the trunk as the one that came from the factory in 1964. I don't know why some people think they know more about my car than I do since I've owned it for 55 years & it was in my family for 59 years, but I run into someone like that periodically. I've done almost all of the work on my car for the whole 55 years that I've owned it. I don't know what to do for you. It's obvious by looking at Syleng1's pix that mine is the same, functionally, as his. I can send you a photo of my hood latch if it'd fix your conclusion, but it's not important. I'm the only one who knows my car... pete
umm okay. it's your car and you say you know it . But it's still a hood latch on the trunk latch position and is incorrect so somehow it got switched somewhen some where. I don't care either way and was just trying to help. but you do you and I'm out of here. since you won't listen. Have a great day

Do your really think the people at the factory were so dumb as to put a hood latch in the trunk, 66Dvert?
1) all parts in my trunk are factory installed, no changes
2) would the factory workers put a hood latch in place of the trunk latch?
3) if #2 were true, why did the trunk close & latch since it was bought in 1964, & why does it still work?
You are the one who won't listen (& listen is the wrong word from you, too, since we are writing) or maybe you can't understand 1, 2, 3. If it's not clear to you, there's nothing more I can do. I wrote the truth, facts... Good bye. pete

You post here asking for help, and then berate us when we point out that accidental swapping of a hood latch with a trunk latch is not uncommon. Not cool, and I don't think it is helpful in solving your problem and will probably turn a few people off to assisting you should you need additional help in the future. If these are indeed the original parts, and the correct ones for their location, they should fit if you play with them long enough. I'm out of new ideas at this point. Good Luck!

-
Back