How do I remove the Grant steering wheel?

-

flynlady

Reaction score
I have an ugly aftermarket Grant steering wheel on my 1966 Plymouth Valiant. How do I remove it?

I'm working on restoring a steering wheel that I bought from woody30 a little while back. So far I think I'm doing a pretty good job. I'll post pics when I get it finished.

Did I post this question on the correct forum?

Thanks!

I have an ugly aftermarket Grant steering wheel on my 1966 Plymouth Valiant. How do I remove it?

I'm working on restoring a steering wheel that I bought from woody30 a little while back. So far I think I'm doing a pretty good job. I'll post pics when I get it finished.

Did I post this question on the correct forum?

Thanks!

any pics of the aftermarket wheel ....usually they unbolt and then there is an additional bolt on adaptor ....might need a wheel puller on that

I had one when I got my dart and it was the first thing to go

Attachments

• CIMG9744.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 354
I had one when I got my dart and it was the first thing to go

Those seats look fantastic!

I got a split bench front seat for the Valiant and a great quote to recover both front and back. Can't wait to get that down too. I'M SO FREAKIN' BROKE ... THIS CAR IS KILLING ME but I'm obsessed!! :blob:

Those seats look fantastic!

I got a split bench front seat for the Valiant and a great quote to recover both front and back. Can't wait to get that down too. I'M SO FREAKIN' BROKE ... THIS CAR IS KILLING ME but I'm obsessed!! :blob:

funny you say that ....I actually got rid of the almost perfect bench for some buckets in lesser condition ...just to have buckets ....paid up the nose for the buckets too BWAHAHHAHA

Attachments

• CIMG0069 (3).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 268
Here's picture of the ugly steering wheel:

Attachments

• steering wheel (480x640).jpg
    131 KB · Views: 353
Most wheels you have to pry the horn button off of them. They are pressed on a fiber circle that serves as the horn switch (there is a spring under the button). Then three screws or so and they come off... then you have to pull the Grant wheel adapter that is under the steering wheel.

That wheel looks like the actual allen bolts hold it on... hmmmm....

Most wheels you have to pry the horn button off of them. They are pressed on a fiber circle that serves as the horn switch (there is a spring under the button). Then three screws or so and they come off... then you have to pull the Grant wheel adapter that is under the steering wheel.

That wheel looks like the actual allen bolts hold it on... hmmmm....

Pretty much covers it. remove allen head screws and see if the wheel just comes off the adapter. then remove the adapter.

I have the same steering wheel on my truck, didn't realize it was ugly, so much for my taste :eek:ops: now you're probably going to tell me sandals with socks isn't cool either :D

Unhook the battery first! Pry the horn button assembly out with a small screwdriver. Unhook the wires. Remove the allen head screws. There will be 3 bolts and a large nut. Remove them.The wheel adapter will come off. The other adapter that is aluminum, and that the 3 bolts came out of is held onto the steering shaft by the splines. You need a steering wheel puller to remove it. May be able to rent one at Autozone. Now how your wheel goes on, I have no idea.....

I have the same steering wheel on my truck, didn't realize it was ugly, so much for my taste

haha i was thinking the same thing. But then again, i do plan to change mine out, i just didn't think it was ugly enough to be an urgent issue.

Especially if you consider what some of the stock 70s era cars had for steering wheels.

-
Back