How do you get a Suspension to hook, when the track surface is marginal at best

-
Luck for me, in the early 80's, it was a 600 dollar purchase.
Drove it home with no alt and shot front end.
Will never sell it because i will never find a, drivable, 600 dollar cuda, Ever Again.:wtf:

No still need to do some clean up under the rear area and also need to pull my transmission to fix some seal oil leaks and a stripped mount bolt.
My first race, if the weather hold out will be Memorial Weekend.

Rear axle is done except adding the oil.

Next is pulling my transmission.
fixing all the seal leak is a no brainer but,
would like some thoughts about the stripped out transmission crossmember bolt hole. I have no idea how long it has been this way but while it out and on the bench.............How would you fix it. All the thread are gone in the alu bolt hole.
Was planning on using a Helicoil........is there anything better out there?!?

transmission mount.PNG

Rear axle is done except adding the oil.

Next is pulling my transmission.
fixing all the seal leak is a no brainer but,
would like some thoughts about the stripped out transmission crossmember bolt hole. I have no idea how long it has been this way but while it out and on the bench.............How would you fix it. All the thread are gone in the alu bolt hole.
Was planning on using a Helicoil........is there anything better out there?!?

View attachment 1715330465

If done right , will probly be stronger than stock.

I have heard of a better thread repair then Helicoil but couldn't find it. until now.
Then i found a youtube video were these helicoil and the like were tested until fail.....was real interesting!!!!!!
And made me go Hmm. check it out!

I have heard of a better thread repair then Helicoil but couldn't find it. until now.
Then i found a youtube video were these helicoil and the like were tested until fail.....was real interesting!!!!!!
And made me go Hmm. check it out!

I chose the standard Helicoils!
Replaced all the seals
service the Transmission. hasn't been done in 5 years.......
IMG_1427.JPG
IMG_1428.JPG
NO Surprises Wooo Hooooo.

did you get the car back to the track yet?
Yup today!
Got my "Gangster Lean" Back.(SS Springs) It plants, hooks, much Better. Et before was 7.86 (when the track was fresh prepped) But mostly 8.0x.
After my first 2 shake down runs, they were all in the 7s and my best et now is a 7.78!!!!!:D
My old car is back!!!!!.Now time to start focusing on my reaction times again.:rolleyes:

How do you get a Suspension to hook, when the track surface is marginal at best
Relocate your springs .080" inboard, replace or install SS Springs, upgrade slicks from 26x10x15 to 28x10.5x15. Fix you broker, but working (sortof) clutch style sure grip.
Note: I really think it would have work, without, the upgraded slick. but i need taller tires or change my gear ratio.(for when i race at a 1/4 mile track).

-
Back