How do you lift a motor?

-

73_Dart

Reaction score
This may sound stupid, but how do you do it. I am possibly getting a 318 if everything goes right, and I need to know the right way to lift it to put it in the back of a truck. I am borrowing an engine hoist from a friend.
Pictures would be really helpful. Thanks.

Thanks for your guys info. Also, what size socket do I need on a 1976 318 so I can check if it is seized up or not.

Like this:
74%252520dart%252520012.jpg

u need about 20 inches of chain and 2 longer intake bolts front drivers side and rear passenger side.bolts should be 2 1/4 inshes long and get som washers so they dont pull through the chain.good luck. I love goen on engine buys, good exuse to stand around it and have a few beers.when u get it back home of coarse

Well im do young to have beer and I dont want one. I think it stinks. haha.
Anyway thanks for the info. Im gonna go try to find a 1 1/4" socket now. Hopefully I can find one in our mess of a garage.

Assuming you haven't done this before, do not let it sit on the oil pan when you put it in the back of the truck.
C

If you never done this before,the first thing you need to do is...CLEAN AND ORGANIZE THE GARAGE>...J

Green 1,
The oil pan has several things going against it, it's thin sheet metal - wouldn't do to have all that weight on it; it's small contact area that the weight would actually sit on makes the situation worse; if the pan gets damaged, you could loose oil capacity, damage the oil pickup/pump; or even put a hole in the pan. You get the idea.
C

I've never damaged an oil pan by allowing the engine to rest on it nor have I ever had the carb mounting hole threads pull out. But since this is a 318 the carb lift plate may not work as all the plates I've seen are for four barrel manifolds.

u need about 20 inches of chain and 2 longer intake bolts front drivers side and rear passenger side.bolts should be 2 1/4 inshes long and get som washers so they dont pull through the chain.good luck. I love goen on engine buys, good exuse to stand around it and have a few beers.when u get it back home of coarse

like me

How do you lift a motor ?

Like this. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• faucet pics 572.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 116
-
Back