How do you replace a front pump seal?

-

clifftt

Reaction score
Before I drop my new motor in, my manual suggests replacing the front pump seal. It was not leaking before. I'm generally one to believe if it ain't broke, don"t fix it. But its probably the original seal ('64 Barracuda) and nows a good time. Does this seal pop out from the front, or do I have to unbolt the cover and remove it from the back side? Or should I even mess with it at all??

Trans seal.jpg

there is a special tool needed to remove and replace the seal as shown...

or you can remove the pump and disassemble it to get at the seal...

you might call a local trans shop to see what they would charge to do it if the trans is out of the car...

I would just pop a flat head through the metal portion of the seal and pry it put then lightly tap the new one in going in circular motion around the seal not to distort or leave crooked.

I would replace it. like 340 said just get a good sized flat blade and pry it out. if you havent done this method get yourself some tape and put it on the input shaft so you don't nick it, then get a small piece of wood to use as a wedge for the screwdriver. put the screwdriver in the opening and pry out the seal working your way around it.

I have used a sheet metal screw, either a drill point screw or by first drilling a tiny hole in the seal face. Pulling the screw pulls the seal out. Fun part of that particular seal you are changing is finding a knocker to put the new one in with. The wrong size piece of pipe will cave the seal face and cause it to leak.
One option is to buy 2 seals. Place the second one backward with the knocker pipe inside it. Mark that second seal "Tool" and use it again someday.

Thanks for your suggestions, sounds like it comes out from the front. I'll swap 'er out this weekend.

It would probably not leak if you were re-using the same converter that came out of it. The only time I've created a seal leak, was by installing a new part into an old seal. I.E. new pinion yoke into an old seal, or new converter into an old seal, etc.

As suggested, not a bad idea to replace it. Pry it out with a seal remover tool. One thing to be aware of when installing a new seal. There is a spring in the seal that needs to stay intact, or you will have a leak. So, with that said, by driving in a new seal, that spring can become dis-lodged, from the force of driving it in.

There are two ways to replace it. With the pump in the trans, or with the pump removed. If you leave the pump in the transmission, and have the right driver to fit over the input shaft and stator support; to drive the seal in, put a bunch of trans-gel or similar transmission assembly lube over the seal spring to keep it from popping out while you drive it in.

If you remove the pump,and disassemble it from the stator support, you can use a regular seal or bearing race driver to install the new seal, of course, make sure the spring doesn't pop out!

Hope this made sense ..... :toothy10:

Thanks for the good advice on "gluing" the spring to the seal with grease. Yes it is a new torque converter, and I hadn't thought if there might be even a small variance in diameter (mfg difference, thickness in paint,...) that this could cause a leak. Good stuff to ponder Duster!

Redfish gave me an idea how to pull this seal out. I drilled two tiny holes in the seal, just enough so that a screw could get a bite into the seal. Then I used my Auto Body 101 slide hammer, and it just popped right out. There were very few shavings from the drilling of the seal collected at the bottom of the seal housing which I swiped up with a magnet. I picked up a "seal driver" at Orchard Supply Hardware's plumbing department for $1.57 -- a 2" diameter PVC pipe, Whacked it in nice and flat on the third try. Check out the pictures!

Trans seal 003.jpg

Trans seal 005.jpg

Trans seal 006.jpg

Trans seal 007.jpg

-
Back