How do you save car money

-

daredevil

Reaction score
Post any tips or tricks you use to save money to buy parts and such for your car. I carry my coffee from home. saye over a buck at the drive thru. I carry my lunch. Can make it at home for a couple bucks instead of spending about 6 bucks. If I dont carry it i eat 2 tacos for 99. at Jack in the Box with a glass of water.Quit stopping at the Ice House on the way home.Beer from grocery store much cheaper. Mucho savings. Where do you scrimp to save car money?

I scrimp and save just to live. I sell car parts to pay for the car stuff.
Nothing on my car was purchased with my 'paycheck' . Maybe thats why it took 20+ years to get the car done-ish. On the side note... I now love selling car parts as a big hobby. Helps others not to have to spend so much and brings cars back to life. Besides that... I dont pay for cable or satellite ...just watch whatever is on free air.. or not at all.

-RPM

The old change can trick. Most nights I empty the change from my jeans and put it in the car fund can. Suprising how fast it can build up, especially if momma doesn't NEED it for something. :)

I opened up a "Car only" account at a bank that see extra money from working overtime. Anything over a certain amount in the weekly check gets dumped into the "Car only fund" so it doesn't get spent on something stupid like.... OH, I don't know, Food, oil for heat, etc.....LOL!

I wish it worked as well as it sounds in real life, cause the theroy of it was great. But, house, health and family first, car second.

The old change can trick. Most nights I empty the change from my jeans and put it in the car fund can. Suprising how fast it can build up, especially if momma doesn't NEED it for something. :)

I used to use this one but it doesnt work anymore. I havent been in a convenient store except to buy fuel in years. Carrying everything from home I never break any dollars. Diesel is my biggest expense and i always pump to an even dollar. But i,m sure it will work for some.

me I'm a Vol fireman in my township so all my reimbersment money goes into my car fund

Form a plan and stick with it.

I don't waste my money on fad crap like drilled and slotted rotors, chrome, or tubular control arms.

My wife and I budget for everything, every month. Her hobbys, and mine are included in that budget.

Anything "extra" I can make we spend on the cars. There are lots of different ways I do that. Right now they are:

-Flipping cars, parts (some on CL now), guitars, amps, bikes.

-Construction side work (fences, decks, roofs, interior finish work etc).

-Overtime (when I worked)

I made an extra $450 yesterday selling off some parts but I need a roof on the house so I have to save for materials first. :angry7:

When I am broke, I do cheap stuff like cleaning or sanding (like I am doing now) until I have a little to spend.:-D

I used to use this one but it doesnt work anymore. I havent been in a convenient store except to buy fuel in years. Carrying everything from home I never break any dollars. Diesel is my biggest expense and i always pump to an even dollar. But i,m sure it will work for some.

I have the answer for that. :toothy10: Lots of evenings after work I'll stop at the local watering hole and have a wobbly pop, and never pay with my pocket change. Then I get more change from the bill I pay with. :cheers:

Hmmmm, maybe if I just stopped having the wobbly pops I could put the bills in the can instead of just the change ................................... :stop: Naw, not going to happen. I enjoy my few wobbly pops each week. :toothy10:

I scrimp and save just to live. I sell car parts to pay for the car stuff.
Nothing on my car was purchased with my 'paycheck' . Maybe thats why it took 20+ years to get the car done-ish. On the side note... I now love selling car parts as a big hobby. Helps others not to have to spend so much and brings cars back to life. Besides that... I dont pay for cable or satellite ...just watch whatever is on free air.. or not at all.
-RPM

Same here, if I can't get money from selling parts, buying and selling BMX & Stingrays &/or parts or from buying and selling vintage model cars then I don't get it. It took me 25 years to get the Fish done.

I opened up a "Car only" account at a bank

I did this a long time ago, it makes it a lot easier to save the money for the cars.

I do this also but have found that my wife steals from it for the kids school lunches and anything she thinks she has to have.

It does help that I don't smoke or drink, I see how much my friends spend on cigs and beer and it amazes me how much money they waist. It's kinda funny because they are always asking how I can afford to buy this or that and when I point out that the money they blew at the bar, I bought a carb and the money they spent on cigs this month, I bought all my primer. I also tell them it helps to have your priorities in line, they like to smoke & drink and I like to work on my cars.

Like Rumble I setup a seperate car fund. Used a money market account so it will make a little money from interest & can only access it a couple times a month to prevent temptation. My wife makes side money as an online editor and blogger that goes in and any profit from my parts sales also goes in the car fund. Car pooling together helps save us about 2grand a year( can only do 3 days a week or we would kill each other) and believe it or not getting a freezer & buying meat in bulk has really helped out with some big savings. We also try to eat out for lunch only once a week & go out for a nice dinner once a month which is tough but the savings really adds up.

Oldschoolcuda

I sign up the wife and kids for as many paid clinical trials as I can fine in a 50 mile radius.

You will never see a light on in my house "until the wife comes home from work or is leaving for work".
I never wash clothes while I am heating the house.
And when I shower and use hot water for for dishes or anything I shut the heat off... There is 35 ta 70 a month 8)
My truck don't leave the hill unless needed and that ain't very often.
I am sure I have over $140.00 in change as long as the wife and children stay out of it, But that's why it's there 8). And they have a key to my house and know it :happy10:
I spend 10 dollars a week on cigarettes instead of $45 a week.
Take it one step at a time and don't go in debt doing updates on your MoPar.
I bought a 16 hp cub Cadet rider 42" deck that just needed fuel pump and fuel line for $175 and traded it for a bran new Ingersal 5hp 60 gallon on the pallet compressor then sold it for $500 a couple weeks latter.
That goes to my car fund :-D "sometimes" :angry7:
Having folks around you you can help in any way it seems to make thing happen to help you get what ya need with out needing more money.

The change jar has help me allot, It was there when I needed extra cash when I picked up my wheels.
That's all the help I have :-D

I have money go direct deposit into a savings account every payday. Then wait till it builds up to buy what I need.

Dealing blow and heroine. Pimpin' ho's too. Every little ***** helps. :toothy10:

No.. no.. no... :angry7:
I took on a second job for a year. It ended last Nov. 15. In the end I was down to 12 - 16 hours a day. Before that I was working 16 - 22 hours a day. I'm working 1 job now. Taking a breather before I find something in the spring. I was working too many hours to spend any of it. But now my Scottish side doesn't want to spend the cash.

I don't go out to bars. If I drink, I buy a 40oz bottle and can make it last a month. I don't smoke. I've cut the fast food way down. I've got no wife, girlfriend or kids. That saves me a bundle right there. My rent is cheap and utilities are included. Although this year I want to find a 2 bedroom. I just cut out all the digital cable crap. Cut my bill down by almost $100/month. If my apartment faced the south, I'd get a free-to-air box.

In the 10 years I've owned my Demon, I have spent less than $2,000 on it. This spring I take the prybar to my wallet and start spending.

Wylde1.

Stopped smoking
I sell beef jerkey on my tool truck
Ask Santa (mother in law) for "cash for clunkers"
sell a few parts
save my pocket change

It all works a little bit at a time toolman

Dealing blow and heroine. Pimpin' ho's too. Every little ***** helps. :toothy10: now thats funny

No.. no.. no... :angry7:
I took on a second job for a year. It ended last Nov. 15. In the end I was down to 12 - 16 hours a day. Before that I was working 16 - 22 hours a day. I'm working 1 job now. Taking a breather before I find something in the spring. I was working too many hours to spend any of it. But now my Scottish side doesn't want to spend the cash.

I don't go out to bars. If I drink, I buy a 40oz bottle and can make it last a month. I don't smoke. I've cut the fast food way down. I've got no wife, girlfriend or kids. That saves me a bundle right there. My rent is cheap and utilities are included. Although this year I want to find a 2 bedroom. I just cut out all the digital cable crap. Cut my bill down by almost $100/month. If my apartment faced the south, I'd get a free-to-air box.

In the 10 years I've owned my Demon, I have spent less than $2,000 on it. This spring I take the prybar to my wallet and start spending.

Wylde1.
now thats funny

I do car repairs out back in the shop, brake jobs exhaust any thing that comes my way. I also do body work and paint jobs its a little bootleg shop We call it Back Yard Customs. I have a job also but mama gets all of that for the budget so anything I make in the shop is car and beer money.
icon10.gif

-
Back