how does door lock

-

roncof

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to lock my doors when exiting the car. for the life of me I can't figure out how to lock my doors.

My 65 Dart 4 dr allows the doors to be locked without a key by:
0.) Lock passenger side doors from inside
1.) Close driver front door & open driver rear door
2.) Press inside lock down on front door when reaching from the rear door opening
3.) Press down driver rear door lock before closing rear driver door
4.) Close rear door & your locked out of the car....especially if you left your only set of keys inside the car.

I use this method to cut down on key & key lock wear but only after verifying the key is in my pocket....this practice might be important to those using their car as a daily driver.....for me it's a minimum of locking up twice a day.

After messing with my door latches the other night I also found that the pass door catch is set up to where the door will not unlock from the inside buy just trying to open the door from the in side. The drive side will though. Kind of strange but thats how they set it up for some reason.

can anyone tell me how to lock my doors when exiting the car. for the life of me I can't figure out how to lock my doors.

Open door, get out, push lock down, close door. At least on mine anyway.

My 65 Dart 4 dr allows the doors to be locked without a key by:
0.) Lock passenger side doors from inside
1.) Close driver front door & open driver rear door
2.) Press inside lock down on front door when reaching from the rear door opening
3.) Press down driver rear door lock before closing rear driver door
4.) Close rear door & your locked out of the car....especially if you left your only set of keys inside the car.

I use this method to cut down on key & key lock wear but only after verifying the key is in my pocket....this practice might be important to those using their car as a daily driver.....for me it's a minimum of locking up twice a day.

Wow, you could lock and unlock the door with the key 10 times before you did that.

I know that key only lock mecanisms went away by early 70s . Not sure of exact year. There is a lock blocking finger that can be cut out of the lock mecanism but you'll need to remove the entire assembly from the door to do it.

My 64 owners manual states it like said above it was design to not lock you keys in the car. My question is why did they get rid of this. You know how many times I've locked myself out of 82 swb Dodge.

71+ is the push button while getting out, 70- you have to use the key.

I'm pretty sure most cars,to lock the door you have to hold the button or latch while shutting the locked door.mid 70's and up anyways.
If that don't do it just roll the window down:smilebox:

I have tried everyone of these ways to lock both my 65and 66 .Nothing has worked , I have not removed door panels on either one yet .But everything is orignal on both plus, I owned a 1965 in the late sixties and I can't recall how we locked the doors or maybe we just didn't have to back then. I'll have to take the panel off a just figure it out . But do to my inability to move or strain, I might just sell them.

I'd like to know more about that '65! If it's a two-door I'd welcome a chance to buy it. Send me a private msg, please.

Thanks!

BC

I had the same experience and actually had a locksmith come out to get my 65 re- keyed. During his visit, he too was perplexed on the matter and we came to the conclusion that that's the design mechanism. Suffice to say, I lock the door from the outside.

When I lock either door, all I have to do is push on the door handle button and it unlocks, the button pops up and the door opens. I can lock it by holding the handle button and shutting the door and the lock button remains down but when I push on the handle button the lock pops up and you are in the car. Is something worn out on my car?

When I lock either door, all I have to do is push on the door handle button and it unlocks, the button pops up and the door opens. I can lock it by holding the handle button and shutting the door and the lock button remains down but when I push on the handle button the lock pops up and you are in the car. Is something worn out on my car?

That is just the way they were made. By holding the button in you are putting things into a bind. The door unlocks when you close it, but pushing the button prevents the lock button from popping up to signal that is in fact unlocked.

And yes the drivers door is the only door that will unlock and open from the inside by just pulling the inside door handle. These are old old forgotten design features that chrysler thought up way back then.

That is just the way they were made. By holding the button in you are putting things into a bind. The door unlocks when you close it, but pushing the button prevents the lock button from popping up to signal that is in fact unlocked.

And yes the drivers door is the only door that will unlock and open from the inside by just pulling the inside door handle. These are old old forgotten design features that chrysler thought up way back then.

No you misunderstood. I shut both doors and lock the doors with a key standing outside the car. When I use the outside door handle the car opens and as I push the button on the handle the black button inside the car pops up and in you go.

if you lock with a key while the door is fully shut and pushing the button on the handle unlocks then yes i would say it is broken. i world remove, clean, and lube the latches and see if that helps

A much better design than the new cars with a key FOB that costs $$$ when lost or failed. What will owners do in 20 years when you can't get a FOB and the engine computer refuses to start. I wouldn't get rid of a car because the key doesn't work. Many leave their cars unlocked because a thief will get in anyway and break a window in the process. Of course in states where you can still shoot horse and car thieves, fewer cars are stolen.

on all of my pre-70 Mopars, I could open both doors from the inside just by pulling on the door handles if the lock buttons were pushed down.

all Mopars were made to lock the doors with the keys from the outside from 70 on down.

I really don't see an issue with this....it's designed this way as to not lock keys in car.

point of note: we had a 68 Firebird that could be closed with lock button down just by shutting door....she left the keys in the ignition, plus, she left the kids in the back seat...and they were too young to understand what to do when she told them to pull up on the lock knob.

Bryan (think about it)

-
Back