How fast are Grand Nationals>

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
I just worked at a dudes house that claims his GN on nitrous and methanol with race gas went 6.9 in the 1/8 . I dunno, are they capable of <11 seconds on a 150HP shot and meth @ 29 lbs boost? He had the slicks in the corner and they looked pretty worn...He said he did one pass at Irwindale and they showed him the door, too fast for no rollcage or other stuff..What do you think?

I've seen GNs running 8s which appear stock, save for the cage, and slicks.

A high 10sec GN isn't hard to build. 6.9 in the 1/8 should be good for high 10s in the 1/4.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HCvl9AtDqM"]HPJim&#39;s Grand National 10 sec. street car - YouTube[/ame]

Grand Nationals = fast.

Precursor to the turbo imports you see today. I remember back then, there were the Grand National vs 5.0 shootouts. It wasn't uncommon to see fully built Grand Nationals running 10's. Turbo's had as high of boost potential back then as they do today.

Believe it! They are very fast car's, and with a good tune, they will run real good. My father inlaw has a T-type turbo regal, and it will **** and get, the GN is even faster! I learned my lesson back in the 80's with those thing's, I got my *** handed to me by one of them damn 6 bangers.

cars 25 years years old, surely its not the stock engine-set up anymore/

i worked as an oil pit guy in a Buick dealership and got to drive them after an oil change--but never that $40,000 special car they had.

the car felt faster then it was cause if it wasn't 100% straight the car would fishtail when punched. it was awesome to drive thou, got to be fun and it did get up and go and again it wasn't the super plus model. Today its easy to build those engines to make much more hp then stock/

Now if we just supercharged the mopar v8's LOL

They also had a special edition that they called the GNX that was even faster than the stock Grand National.

Yep they are fast. I believe they out performed the corvette of that year. Maybe that's why they quit making them.

Anyone know why they quit making them?

I just worked at a dudes house that claims his GN on nitrous and methanol with race gas went 6.9 in the 1/8 . I dunno, are they capable of <11 seconds on a 150HP shot and meth @ 29 lbs boost? He had the slicks in the corner and they looked pretty worn...He said he did one pass at Irwindale and they showed him the door, too fast for no rollcage or other stuff..What do you think?
well im sure its not stock they push the head gaskets out at around 19/20 pounds of boost but that can can be made to run

Mulllinax..... you are correct .... just was talking about these cars a couple of days ago....GM Corvette people pissed at this :)

Got one on the lift as we speak.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 456
cars 25 years years old, surely its not the stock engine-set up anymore/

i worked as an oil pit guy in a Buick dealership and got to drive them after an oil change--but never that $40,000 special car they had.

the car felt faster then it was cause if it wasn't 100% straight the car would fishtail when punched. it was awesome to drive thou, got to be fun and it did get up and go and again it wasn't the super plus model. Today its easy to build those engines to make much more hp then stock/

Now if we just supercharged the mopar v8's LOL

At the gas station I worked at in high school, the owner's son got a GNX as a graduation present. It was car #251. I asked the old man what he thought of it and I still remember him telling me that you had to have the car pointed straight ahead or it would get away from you.

I have a stock turbo from a Grand Nat sitting on the floorboard of my Dart. I wonder how it would do with a 5.9?

those cars were fast for the day. think they dipped into the 13's stock..

had a buddy that had one running mid 11's and only had simple bolt ons to get it there. have seen some fast stock looking ones at atco. used to be all grand nationals and mustangs at the track in the late 80's early 90's

i was in my 67 Satellite, 383 car, and one pulled up next to me at a light, guy wanted to go, light turned green.....

CHIRP, he was gone, wtf???

He was waiting for me at the next light, laughing, lets do it again, light turns green.....

CHIRP, he was gone again, geez, i have always wanted one of those cars.

Yep they are fast. I believe they out performed the corvette of that year. Maybe that's why they quit making them.

Anyone know why they quit making them?

Don't know exactly why they discontinued the line, maybe because that platform had been around for quite a few years. But the GNX was hatched as a one year only deal that the Buick techs wanted to build to make a BIG statement in the cars last production year. They threw everything at that car and it was easily the fastest american production car for quite a while.

i was in my 67 Satellite, 383 car, and one pulled up next to me at a light, guy wanted to go, light turned green.....

CHIRP, he was gone, wtf???

He was waiting for me at the next light, laughing, lets do it again, light turns green.....

CHIRP, he was gone again, geez, i have always wanted one of those cars.

Had a similar experience in my old Nova....it was not pretty. :confused:

My First fast car was an 87 T-type and it did get down stock. I had an upgraded turbo and ran low 13's high 12's till i pushed the head gaskets out. Then built a Stage II motor with twins that laid down 550 on pump gas and 18 PSI and 780 on 118 and 32 psi.

They also put a few of the GN motors in firebirds. I think they did it as an anniversary thing back in the 80's. 89 I believe.
These cars were even faster than the GNX and handled better too.

-
Back