How fast have you gone with exhaust manifolds?

-
My car (the '72 Valiant in the picture to the left) was built in 2002 with a 360 Magnum, and everything except the carburetion and cam was OEM. except I had opted for early 340 exhaust manifolds hooked to a TTI H--Pipe system.

Carburetion was a box-stock 3310 (750) vacuum-secondary Holley on an M-P dual plane manifold, which was WATER HEATED!!! (WHAT were they thinking???) Jeesh...

The cam was (and, is) a Hughesperformance hydraulic roller, and very mild: 214/218 duration at .050"-lift, with .525" total lift, ground with 214-degrees od lobe separation. WAY mild; idles fairly smoothly at 475 rpm, making 12 inches of vacuum for the brake booster.

The transmission is a stock 904, with a 2.45 low, and a 318 torque converter with 2,500-rpm stall speed. It also has a Trans-Go shift kit

With an open 3.91 third member and some 26"-tall, 8"-wide T/A Drag Radials (BF Goodrich), it ran a best of 13.35 @ 102 on a 95-degree day at Sacramento Dragway (sea level.) Best 60-foot was 1.91. Most were 1.93- 1.94.

That was, as I said, with early 340 (swept-back passenger side) manifolds, through the mufflers, which were the TTI mandated DYNO MAX Super Turbos.

I later decided that that really wasn't as fast as I wanted to go, so I decided to add a Vortech blower. That made me think about my exhaust system, so I sold the cast iron manifolds on ebay and replaced them with some TTI step headers.

I installed an Air Gap-style *Crosswind" intake manifold and a Carb Shop-prepared 750 double-pumper Holley carb that is supposed to be set up for "blow-thru." I really wanted an Edelbrock manifold, but none were availble, yet... casting problems delayed the release of that particular manifold for months, so I ordered this Chinese knockoff; I needed a manifold.

I DO try to "buy American" when I can!

Then, I got sick and spent three months in the hospital and couldn't finish the car, but I'm well now, and am about done with the changeover to forced induction. Had to make everything myself, 'cause Vortec doesn't make a kit for an L-A/Magnim motor. That was fun..... and, time-consuming.

I am hoping to pick up about a second and 10 mph, but we all know that "talk is cheap"!!! LOL!

We'll see... :)

Bill
PS is there any way to upload pictures to this forum from my hard drive? I don't have any online, so can't do the "http" thing... . Any onfo will be appreciated.

I lost the URL for this manifold test months ago, but had forgotten that I'd printed the article out. Ran across that article by accident, this afternoon.

Here is the URL: http://tinyurl.com/6jdgne

This guy set up a dyno "mule" engine and ran individual tests of 340 manifolds using two left side manifolds, then, two right side manifolds and then, one of each. He also tested Magnum truck manifolds (two right side manifolds;) dunno why he didn't test one of each, but I think there's not much difference in the right and left sides with the truck (Magnum) manifolds, so maybe he didn't see the necessity of doing that test.

He also tested the engine with a set of dyno headers.

It's pretty educational, especially to see how much flow difference there is between the right and left-side 340 manifolds. Too bad you can't run two right side manifolds with the engine in the car... lol!

Check it out. It will make you want to ditch that driver's side 340 (upswept) manifold...

Bill

I'm running a bone stock 67 GTX, 440 auto, 3:23 sg with all original parts, and have had a best time of 14.06. Probably could have dipped into the 13's one time but I had to lift to keep from breaking out. I am not looking for anything other than a good time at the track with family and friends, so I'm happy with it being all original, but I would have liked to dip into the 13's that time, but I didn't want to lose. Have fun all!!! Geof

This is my 65 Dart, decent 383, 4.10's, 4-speed and 7-inch slicks that were hard as nails.

Dart_03_Engine_1.jpg

I don't know what the manifolds were from, I went through a pile until I found two that would fit in the car. The car ran mid 12's @ 110 to 112, video here. Using the weight to calculate HP, the manifold cost 60 HP. This engine with headers in an E Body which weighed 300 pounds more than the Dart went about 3 MPH faster (but was a whole lot quicker since it could move out of the hole without spinning the tires.)

13.62 in my 66 Coronet

440, self ported heads, Edelbrock dual quad w/2 600's, Hughes cam (228-232@ 50, .524 .540 lift), auto, 3.23's, slippery tires

Hey Dale, this is Mike. I still want your Demon!! HAHAHA
You ever going to get back over to Puyallup? Did you get the motor back in? One of these days we have to get together. I sold my place and have a new(smaller )shop up on South Hill. My Demons headed for paint shortly. I sold two others and still have a 72 340 we are going to make a modern street rod out of. I have a R3/W8 motor that might land under the hood.
Good to see ya here
Mike

Hi mike NO YOU CAN NOT HAVE IT yes i got the bolt out of the pan and the magnet was on the crank it is now going back together had to take a x-mas brake in TX will finish it up and start it in late jan. hope it will be as good as i think it will be dale

Seems like the minimum you're going to pay for decent manifolds is $250, and that's not for the HPs.

Still, I'm considering it.

What idiots are paying $250 for NON HP manifolds ??? send them my way :snakeman:

Non HP manifolds are worth their weight in SCRAP unless you are looking for a date coded set for a 318 car resto :bootysha:

You never said what size engine you are running ?

-
Back