How fast would you like to go.

-
How Fast ??? 55 mph all the way across "old" route 66. Sometimes we had to back off of that speed on the old original two lane roads... :)

Why end your ride in a mere 7 seconds ???? :realcrazy:
Okay, it's the racer's forum.... I don't have a "specific" time-of-my-life ET, but we ARE hoping to go into the 7.99's in the 1/8 with our '80 Dodge truck in a few weeks :)

It's not "what you run" .... it's "how you ran it"

I'd be quite content if I could pinch 10.90's out of my ride and call it done. Raced in the mid 12's for years "back in the day" and had a blast doing it. Parked all the cars for about 28 years and then built this avatar car. Ways to go with it. 7.11 in the 1/8 so far with a 1.51 60'.

Rusty, I ran high 12's to 13.0's with my slant for many years.
pittsburghracer, This is back in 2005 or 6. KEYSTONE ! Boy, I'd still be racing if we had a small hometown track.
Not a fan of Las Vegas Motor Speedway anymore.
View attachment 1715903152
Norwalk !
View attachment 1715903154
Very cool. I'd love for mine to go that fast....but honestly, like I said, I don't really care. Man, I had my belly bait FULL of racin from the time I was a freshman in high school to my early twenties. We were at the track every single weekend. It was fun back then, because we could run ten or twelve times a night. Nothin like it is now.

Have you got those supertricks on the back inside out?

Lol, run what you brung! Those rear rims were on it, just like that when I got the car many moons ago. They are Weld wheels, from what I know (ain't much). They'd be sticking out mighty far, if I turned them around (if that's even possible). That's Torino?, or medium bodied Mustang rear, IIRC. Thx for the tip tho, lol. Maybe it's time I got real glasses;
Brian Regan Cartoon - Eye Doctor - YouTube

Lol, run what you brung! Those rear rims were on it, just like that when I got the car many moons ago. They are Weld wheels, from what I know (ain't much). They'd be sticking out mighty far, if I turned them around (if that's even possible). That's Torino?, or medium bodied Mustang rear, IIRC. Thx for the tip tho, lol. Maybe it's time I got real glasses;
Brian Regan Cartoon - Eye Doctor - YouTube
No worries Lefty, I was just curious. (They still look like Cragar Supertricks to me! with a weld racing center cap). I have seen it done, for the exact reason you stated. With them mounted as built , the tires would stick out, or hit the fender.
If you want to know, pull one off, and look for another valve stem, or a plug, on the inside half.

Last edited:
Had a ton of good times running 13s, and never broke one damned part, I'd say that was good. Doubt that I will ever have anything really fast at this point in my life.

I won’t put a cage in the Duster, so 11.50 is the goal.
Duster with 318 in it = 13.6
Duster with 422 in it = ??? (11.50s?)

I never had the need for pure speed/times, not there's anything wrong that:). I just loved making whatever i had my hands on at the time run solid. Without the coin over my life to run a class car, i just had a great time running brackets. Keep in mind that when i started in the Mid 70's, my local track had 8 brackets, A thru H. Like 10's and faster & 17's and slower. lol. Winning one of those and moving up a letter or two was a big deal at the time.

This was at 75/80 in Maryland. And guys actually towed 13/14 sec cars to the track. The theme for most cars in the points races was, 1 size bigger engine, 1 size smaller cam & carb, lots of timing and tires that would dead hook. Not many today could think cars like that would be competitive and fun, but it was serious racing with guys that new there cars in and out.

I truly miss those days.:thumbsup:

Well, that’s the funny thing, I think, about the engine size and cam size. If you take the time, a big cam isn’t always the answer. Cammed right, you shouldn’t need a whole lot.

Trailering in a car beats driving home in someone else’s car when you live more than JUST a couple miles away.
Heck, walking 5 or 6 is like forever!

A wheely and a 60 ft blast from the stoplight at the stroke of midnight.
Set off all the alarms at the downtown businesses as the windows vibrate on the way home.
That's where I'm at these days. lol

P.S. to my earlier post. In 76' i was running a 13.0 car that won my bracket. I got a case of oil, $40 and a tee shirt. Life was good :). Then in the winners run off i lost to a 70's 6 cyl. Nova in the "H" class that went 20.66 :BangHead:. Our time slips at the time didn't have anything but ET/Speed & W/L. I certainly was motivated next time out...lol

Case of oil? Sweeeet! I’d take that! No problem!

The competition and fun was what it was all about for me. I knew even then i wouldn't get rich racing :).

P.S. to my earlier post. In 76' i was running a 13.0 car that won my bracket. I got a case of oil, $40 and a tee shirt. Life was good :). Then in the winners run off i lost to a 70's 6 cyl. Nova in the "H" class that went 20.66 :BangHead:. Our time slips at the time didn't have anything but ET/Speed & W/L. I certainly was motivated next time out...lol
When I was going to the original Irwindale Raceway in the seventies, we had a racer we called "Wally Rambler". Always drunk, always in a 19/20 sec 6 cylinder rambler American,...... and I can't count the races I saw him win.

When I was going to the original Irwindale Raceway in the seventies, we had a racer we called "Wally Rambler". Always drunk, always in a 19/20 sec 6 cylinder rambler American,...... and I can't count the races I saw him win.

My guy looked like Grizzly Adams and i'd never seen him at the track before...lol

Well, I was looking for 6.30's with the 434 and its ran 6.25 so it surpassed my goal. I would like to get a 9 second pass though, it would be pretty cool with a pump gas small block. It ran 10.008 in September last year.

I'd be happy to break into the teens with the Valiant. The only time I tried it was something like a 20.5 second pass at best.

start line.jpg

I won’t put a cage in the Duster, so 11.50 is the goal.
Duster with 318 in it = 13.6
Duster with 422 in it = ??? (11.50s?)

Same 11.50 want no cage.
I detuned my 380 hp crate engine.
Plan on add Nitrous to make up the difference to go 11.50 then down the road swap the nitrous with turbo or torqstorm supercharger.

I'll be really happy if I crack off 10.50's my 1st time out with this car. I've got more than 10k in the engine I think, I think my 260-264 @.050 .650-.660 lift cam maybe a bit smaller than it should be, we'll see !
I'm building everything except for the engine, which was finished today, So ill need to build up my trust even though I'm very thorough.

Last edited:
I'll be really happy if I crack off 10.50's my 1st time out with this car.
I'm building everything except for the engine, which was finished today, So ill need to build up my trust even though I'm very thorough.
Please tell me YR didn't build your engine. lol :poke:

-
Back