How hard could it be to sell a 318?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I thought I was going to go with a 318 a while back, and I bought one with a 904 tranny for $350.00. Well if course the next day I found a 360.
So I figure... No big deal I'll just resell the 318/tranny combo. I'd just simply like to get my money back out of it. Well... It's been for sale on Craigslist, Ebay, and on the forum here for two weeks. I honestly didn't think it would be that hard of a sell. Not even an offer. Now I'm thinking about keeping to 904 for the 360, and just take whatever little I can get for the 318 alone. I'd hate to take that hit...

I did state that I won't ship the thing. Maybe thats part of the issue?

What do you guys think?

Thanks! :munky2:

My guess is you bought it locally and you will probably sell it locally. It may take a while. I suggest you try local advertising too i.e. paper like local news paper , auto trader, whatever.

hey man, hows it going? i love your car. the color is great.just a thought i was having.i'm not trying to get in your business but why not ship? is it a weight, or an oil thing? no crate or can't move it around now? i'm just curious. btw, have you ever seen that color with the stripe kit? i knew a guy that had one with the black kit. ooooooooo ooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeee!anyway, good luck on the sale.

So you guys think I should keep the tranny, huh?

Funny you mentioned that about the stripe! I bought a black 340 one!
I wanted to get it repainted, but they wanted $5000.00!
It's got some dings and things, I might just put the stripes right over the dings. Maybe it will just look more, "real" that way? I have to get the old sticky stuff off the sides first from the stupid molding.
Thanks!

you might want to edit that WORD>>>>>>and I don't have a clue what you are trying to say

I agree . Although the F word dont bother me nearly as much as GD on a post
Some here will never get a responce or reply from me and if they take it personal , they earned it.

Oh, and yes I wont ship it because I don't have a crate, and I have no idea who I would use to ship it?

I don't mind the swearing, but I didn't know what he was talking about either?!?! Maybe he's still drunk from last night? :eek:ccasion:

Yes, that 904 will be perfect behind the 360. Just remember that the 360 will need some sort of balance for the converter. Weights, flexplate or..... since the 360 is internally balanced and the 318 is internal. I do think not shipping may be holding up your 318 sale. Someone might pay the shipping price if you would be willing to help from your end with some arrangements.

Good Luck!

I've been trying to sell a Jeep 4.0 with HO heads for a long time. What's really crazy is the offers have actually gone UP! I've had a buyer at $75, $85, $100 and now $125. Called the guy three times and haven't heard back/doesn't answer my PM's (different site than this). Getting to the point where I'll probably just store it. Love to trade it for a small block Chrysler...

I've never had luck selling 318's either, I think the most I paid for one was $100 and it had a good 904 behind it and was still bolted to a A body K frame. I usually end up giving them away to people that are just starting out and can use it.

I had two.

One with a 4-barrel intake and carb. Lower miles (may have been rebuilt). The other was out of a truck. I had experience with both of them etc. so I knew what they were.

I ended up selling the two of them for $150 and just moving on. I did not want to sit on them forever and with my storage getting slim it seemed like the right thing to do.

FWIW-ROB

Well, I'll hopefully be getting a 360/904 combo here next week for my barracuda for down the road sometime. I would have taken a 318 as well but I just wont pay over like $100.00 for one unless it has a trans. Maybe that is why they are hard to sell. I've seen the same ones advertised locally around here for months. And they still wont sell. I actually think its is kinda weird.

Keep the 904 to run behind your 360,as for the 318.. mariners are always looking for boat anchors...

I just keep'em.....somebody will want it one day. Got a 427 Chevy i've had for 6 yrs., just sitting on an engine stand.......don't know why i do these things.....pack rat

:munky2::munky2::munky2::munky2::munky2::munky2::munky2::munky2::munky2:

It is likely that when you walk outside next time you will trip over a 318. They are common which is why no one wants to buy them. It seems like people either yank them out or leave them bone stock. The only time I have ever sold one is when someone needs one as a replacement for a busted one. I would just hold onto it and give it to some who is just starting out, or keep it as a spare in case something happens to the 360.

I had the same problem selling an engine last year. I finally had to agree to ship the engine. Check with your local trucking companies and get the details. All I had to do was pressure wash the engine and strap it to a pallet. The buyer had to pay the cost of transport to San Diego from my house.

I would take them both but we are too far apart ! They would go good in my 72 Swinger special w/ 81/4 rear and 5 leaf springs

like to have a 318 around when my 340 was out for rebuilding....bolts right in and can take a pretty good bashing....I could use that 427 i saw someone here was sitting on...i have a fresh turbo 400 and a sweet 66 short/fleet to put it to use in...:evil3:

-
Back