How long does it take to have a long block built for you??

-

hardcore5657

Reaction score
JTL in keyport new jersey is building me my long block. I brought him my 360 block a month ago. He is going to tear it apart check everything out and polish some stuff up. Freshen up what needs to be and then put in my new cam, RHS magnum heads, and so on. My question is how long does it take?? It has been a month and I can't wait to get it back and put it in my duster already!!

twice its taken over a year to get a complete motor built, i understand the frustration. good luck with a timely return.

Over a year is a small time. My 340 took 2 years to complete. The problem wasn't the shop doing their job it was a total lack of parts! I'd order parts and being forever on a waiting list.

Everyone is different depending on the level of care expended in the engine build. I generally figure 60 days if there are no complications. I think I would ask your engine builder for his estimated completion date. It will generally take that amount of time, even if you scream and jump up and down and push him for an earlier date.

60 days is outstanding for a real blueprint job,especially if it involves a aftermarket rotating assembly,or a engine brought in a bushel basket.I am used to 6months to a year ,depends on on your game on is.It is getting hard to find a good race machinist,you cannot buy cheaply and expect it to work.

If somebody brings me the core engine and ALL parts, I can get machine work and assembly done in three weeks max. But I am a one man show with not much of a line at the door. lol

And you trust your machinist.That sir, Is a rare thing nowadays.

It also depends on the shop. A good shop is a buisy shop. I happened to get mine built just before race season. All the race guys were trying to get their engines done before race season so mine was hit and miss for a while.

2 to 6 weeks tops. Most of the time we end up waiting on the customer to finish paying while the engine sits ready to go.

Depends on the time of year for me. If I get them the parts to machine between late fall and February, it's a matter of a couple weeks to machine, and another two weeks to assemble if I have nothing else to do on the block or heads and hit no issues. I don't do it for a living, so it gets done nights and weekends. I've had shortblocks done in two weeks. I usually figure on 60 days, provided as I said, everything works. If I have to port heads, or tweak parts to get things right, it's longer. Otherwise, the shop has a large clientel of circle track guys and they spend nights and weekends at the track helping customers. Summer work always takes longer.

MoPar makes a good point. Time of year is a lot. I try to get stuff to my guys ASAP once the new year is in. No later than mid March. After that, it could get slower in return time for things I'm having done. My machinist knows I have cash on hand and pay him that afternoon or the next day for the part.

I think the quickest turn around on any part was a block that was degreased cleaned up and honed, ready for me and in my garage in 3 days. Everything else was a known good on it.

Once I have everything, assembly time is just that.

I had a 451 strker built and dynoed and it took 3 months. so a long block month half, maybe 2 months.

-
Back