How many CURRENT owners of real '74 360 Duster 4 speed cars on here?

-
Sounds pretty well optioned. Just curious, does it have a console?

Any pictures?

It is my understanding that you could not get a console in a 74 Duster 360 4 speed, only the automatics. I also believe that the 360 4 speed was a one year only option on the Duster-please correct me if I am mistaken.

My first car in 1975 was a 74 318 black Duster with bucket seats & auto console. It had a white half vinyl roof & white racing stripe. I actually tried looking for it again about 12 years ago. I found it, but the current owner would not sell it. I searched for another black 74 Duster & came up with the one I have now. I am working on a resto that is taking "forever". I have found the following parts NOS- Grille, headlamp bezels, windshield gasket, dash guage bezel, "360" fender emblems, 14" Rallye wheels, trim rings & center caps, tail lamp bezels and lens, front & rear bumper fillers + other small parts. I also found a pair of 360 only mufflers that I have decided not to use.

I will try and upload a few pictures once I read up on how to do that.
-Lou

8 here on the board so far, 9 if we include Dart Sports.

(2) individuals that haven't posted, so I wont say who they are.
Myself - DionR
oldkimmer
TimS
MrHemi
360Duster4speed
Driven

and honorable mention - Dartnut with his Dart Sport

Can't remember seeing that many auto Duster 360's on the board, and they made almost 6 times as many in 1974, at 2975. Maybe I just miss them as I've always been looking for other 4 speed cars.

count 1 more. bought in 1976. now has 63000 miles. car is yellow with black stripe and was repainted in 1993. has not been washed or wet since then and has not seen any weather since 1984.interior is all original but engine has a few minor mods. got it at midway chrysler in winnipeg.

Wish i knew how to figure out where mine was sold. Sure like to have some more background info on it.

I do have some earlier info as one of my best friends owned it in the lat 80's. It was his first car. But that's for a later story.

Pictures? Starting to sound repetititive, huh.

I also believe that the 360 4 speed was a one year only option on the Duster-please correct me if I am mistaken.

oldkimmer said he has a 75 4 speed Duster 360, so maybe?

My first car in 1975 was a 74 318 black Duster with bucket seats & auto console. It had a white half vinyl roof & white racing stripe. I actually tried looking for it again about 12 years ago. I found it, but the current owner would not sell it. I searched for another black 74 Duster & came up with the one I have now. I am working on a resto that is taking "forever". I have found the following parts NOS- Grille, headlamp bezels, windshield gasket, dash guage bezel, "360" fender emblems, 14" Rallye wheels, trim rings & center caps, tail lamp bezels and lens, front & rear bumper fillers + other small parts. I also found a pair of 360 only mufflers that I have decided not to use.

Sounds like it should be a nice car when you get it done.

Just to make you guys salivate...............

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

I know it is a re-post !!

Also notice the excellent quality control.
Rallye mirror on 1 side, standard mirror on the other.

Nice cars, i test drove a '74 360 4 speed Duster back in the early '80s, man did that thing go!
It was dark green with a black interior (my favorite color combo) rallyes and white stripes and i remember it had a really bad clutch. They wanted $1200 for it and i offered $1000 and they didn't take it. It stayed on the lot for another 4 months then it was gone.
I have no idea where it went, but i never saw it again.
The Dart Sport i have is a real valentines day built car, built on feb 14, 1974. It's red with parchment bucket seat interior, parchment vinyl roof, and parchment stripes according to the fender tag, 360 4 speed ps and pdb.
It's in the same condition maybe a little better than the Duster 360 when pulled out of the junk yard in Spokane by DionR.
It's definitely restorable.
I'll post some pics if anyone wants to see the car.

I've noticed some 73's with a dual snorkel hood. Could you get that in 74?

On 74s you could only get scoops on a Dart Sport.
Dusters were stuck with only a black hood.

75 and 76 got nothing on either car.

8 here on the board so far, 9 if we include Dart Sports.

(2) individuals that haven't posted, so I wont say who they are.
Myself - DionR
oldkimmer
TimS
MrHemi
360Duster4speed
Driven

Can't remember seeing that many auto Duster 360's on the board, and they made almost 6 times as many in 1974, at 2975. Maybe I just miss them as I've always been looking for other 4 speed cars.
Original paint 74 Duster 360 w/auto.:thumrigh:

Attachments

• 74 Duster 026.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 857
The Dart Sport i have is a real valentines day built car, built on feb 14, 1974. It's red with parchment bucket seat interior, parchment vinyl roof, and parchment stripes according to the fender tag, 360 4 speed ps and pdb.
It's in the same condition maybe a little better than the Duster 360 when pulled out of the junk yard in Spokane by DionR.
It's definitely restorable.
I'll post some pics if anyone wants to see the car.

Pics?

Wow, nice car Lou! Can't wait to see it done.

Tim, I wish mine was the color yours is. Mine is Deep Sherwood Green (I think that is the name). Yours is a nice car, great buy.

After further review, I think I need to drop the tally by 1. Looks like one of the unnamed individuals has a "L" code 74 Duster, but I think I made a mental jump based a on a post and it might not have been accurate to say that it is a 4 speed car. If he posts it is, then I will add him back to the list at that time.

So, 7 current owners here on the board so far, 8 if we include Dart Sports.

1 individual that hasn't posted, so I wont say who he is.
Myself - DionR
oldkimmer
TimS
MrHemi
360Duster4speed
Driven

Love to see some more pictures and hear more stories!

When I got my car out of the yard, it went to my brother Steve's house as he had room to store it and could help me with it. Just as a side note, this is the same Brother that built the orange '71 340 Duster with the AirGrabber hood on it. Seems to show up on the board once a year or so. Here's a picture.

StevesDuster.jpg

My brother helped me get the holes in the cowl fixed, and fix the trunk and rear spring hanger where it was pushing up through the floor (wish I'd thought to take a picture of that). He hooked me up with a friend of his who rebuilt the motor for me and after putting some fresh paint on the engine compartment I put it in.

About that time, I graduated from the local Community College and got a job about an hour north in Colville. So, we towed the car up there so I could continue to work on it.

Found a set of 70 or 71 Duster buckets to put in it, a used carpet out of a Feather Duster, along with a bunch of other miscellaneous parts and got it running and driving. It was November of 1994 when I got it inspected by the State Patrol so I could license it. The officer didn't like that I couldn't find the paperwork for the suspension and transmission and wrote on the paperwork “RECOMMEND TITLE ONLY”, but whoever processed it ignored (or missed it) and I got my title about a month later.

Had to swap the rear axle out as the one I found in the yard to get it rolling was a 2.45. It was brutal just trying to get the thing rolling. Found a 3.21 gear axle in a third yard and swapped that in, which made a world of difference. After fighting with about 4 different ThermoQuads, I finally found one that would run right on the car, and from then on out it was my daily driver. Took it to a couple of shows just for fun, and the drags once or twice. Never did break into the 14's, seems like it was a mid 15 second car, but it was probably a 16 sec car as time always seems to make them faster. Never did a hard launch or anything, though. Drove that car all over the place and the only time I remember it letting me down was when the coil went bad and the car wouldn't start. Luckily, I had just gotten back from a 100 mile drive and it was already in the carport. Sure brings back memories.

Ironically, while I was working on finding all of the missing bits and pieces, I ended up talking to a guy in a wrecking yard while we were waiting for the rain to subside. Ends up he was working on a '72 Demon that turned out to be my Brother's old Demon. It had been rear ended while his wife was driving, totaled, gone through a couple of hands and ended up in Kevin's possession. He'd gotten the quarter fixed and swapped a 360 in and was looking for a couple of straps for a fuel cell. When he asked what I was working on, I told him about my Duster, and before I could get far, he was telling me what it looked like. Turns out it was his first car. We exchanged numbers and kept in contact and have been good friends ever since.

In fact, some where around 1999, due to me shooting off my big mouth, Kevin ended up buying the Duster back from me. I had been at a swap meet with my Dad and a couple of his buddies in the summer of 98 when I had foolishly mentioned that I wanted to build a 46-8 Plymouth streetrod. Well, one of the guys made a trip to Arizona a couple of weeks later to tow a car down for a guy who was retiring there, and rather than bring the trailer back empty he found a '48 Business Coupe and called my Dad who said bring it up. I ended up owing Dad $800 for the car. I tried to keep the Duster, but Dad needed his money and I needed to focus on one project, so I worked a deal with Kevin such that he got his old car back and I got Dad paid off. I should have kept the Duster. It was fun messing that Plymouth, but I went 12 years without a running car to enjoy, and I never got the '48 much farther than a rolling chassis.

Kevin tore the Duster apart for a restoration, which stalled for a while. He put a quarter on it and got it back together in primer about 5 years ago. Here are some pictures from about that time.

DSC02854.jpg

DSC02855.jpg

DSC02857.jpg

Later I will relate the story of how I got it back, and the fiasco that followed.

I do want to say that I have to thank Kevin for his friendship through this. Sometimes when cars trade hands among friends, things don't always go smoothly and the friendship ends. This could have been one of those times, and I didn't make things easy (to my embarrassment), but we have still managed to maintain a good friendship, of which I am glad. Thanks Kevin!

-
Back