how many dart generations are there?

-
I think Rani's got it right although the 60-61 and the 62s weren't stand alone models, but were re-badged from other models.
And don't forget the first year (1961) sweptline truck was named Dart also.

Yes they did!!! I forgot about that one!! Lets just say Ma Mopar has been building Dodge Darts for the last 53 years.....and counting lol

I have to agree with Bill on this one. Take a 73 dart, put a 68 front clip and 68 tail and most people would not know it was born as a 73.

maybe to the average person ...i suppose that could be ...and maybe i am being too picky but i have seen ppl put earlier front ends on 73-6 and there are still a lot ways to see the original heritage of the car......its not just sheet metal .....interiors were different

door frame tops were plastic not metal.
seat belts were configured different
73 for example had the osac valve on the firewall
heater blower motors were different
the firewall itself was different
even the heater bezel changed
bumper mountings changed.
side markers
even seat patterns can be a give away.

you can almost smell the difference LOL

i went to Colorado springs to look at what the seller claimed to be a 72 even had a 72 vin number but i wasnt fooled for a min and walked away from it when i saw the numbers on the radiator supprort were different from the vin it was a 73.

If I ever go to look at a car it might be worth a plane ticket to get the Rani report!!!!

maybe to the average person ...i suppose that could be ...and maybe i am being too picky but i have seen ppl put earlier front ends on 73-6 and there are still a lot ways to see the original heritage of the car......its not just sheet metal .....interiors were different

door frame tops were plastic not metal.
seat belts were configured different
73 for example had the osac valve on the firewall
heater blower motors were different
the firewall itself was different
even the heater bezel changed
bumper mountings changed.
side markers
even seat patterns can be a give away.

you can almost smell the difference LOL

i went to Colorado springs to look at what the seller claimed to be a 72 even had a 72 vin number but i wasnt fooled for a min and walked away from it when i saw the numbers on the radiator supprort were different from the vin it was a 73.

Yea... But the front and rear windshield glass is the same from 67-76 LOL!!!

I think the Dart Sports were all Demons. The "Moral Majority" made Chrysler knuckle down and drop the Demon name and symbol. Otherwise those Dart Sports would be Demons.
Dodge Dusters, just like Scamps were Plymouth Darts.
I'd label a Scamp a Dart before I'd call a Dart Sport a Dart.

I think the Dart Sports were all Demons. The "Moral Majority" made Chrysler knuckle down and drop the Demon name and symbol. Otherwise those Dart Sports would be Demons.
Dodge Dusters, just like Scamps were Plymouth Darts.
I'd label a Scamp a Dart before I'd call a Dart Sport a Dart.

If your talking about the organization, 'Moral Majority'......it wasn't founded until 1979......long after the Dart was out of production. If you're talking about a bunch of 'preachers' complaining about the 'Demon' moniker, I'll agree with you there! Ben.

notice when ya buy or look for aftermarket parts, or re-popped parts the description says A-body (67-76)....well, IMO that would cover ONE generation of darts...from 1967 to 1976....

Don't forget that Dodge also built full-size Darts In 61 & 62, also Mexican but ones and some other Dart compat cars, not including like the new one.

Keeping with the old ones, I say 3, 61-62, 63-66, 67-76. Those 3 generations were totally different cars, frames, body, roof, glass, etc. Yes, each class had some exterior changes but under the trim and and minor fender changes they were almost the same in the categories.
nailed it! theres 3 different body structures....

notice when ya buy or look for aftermarket parts, or re-popped parts the description says A-body (67-76)....well, IMO that would cover ONE generation of darts...from 1967 to 1976....

only a few parts interchange from the 70-72 generation to the 73-76 generation

these companies don't know the small differences in these cars :protest:

I ordered some stuff for "67-76" only fits a few cars not the whole range

Don't forget the new Dart. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I'm reAlly liking this one!

Attachments

• image-3198691594.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 73
nailed it! theres 3 different body structures....

I believe there are only really two generations of Darts. The narrow body 63-66 and wide body 67-76. There is also more in common with the 61-62 Lancer than the fat darts of 60-61 and 62, so they really don't count!

I lump all the 67-76 Darts in one category because you can literally swap many parts. You can take a 67 hardtop roof and put it right on a 76. Sure the doors changed, but you CAN make them work. The 67-69 fenders and the 73-76 fenders CAN be swapped out with not much work. Heck I had to tell an original owner of a 69 M-Code Dart GTS that he had a 74 fender on his car, he didn't even realize it after the car was wrecked and a body shop fixed it!

I believe there are only really two generations of Darts. The narrow body 63-66 and wide body 67-76. There is also more in common with the 61-62 Lancer than the fat darts of 60-61 and 62, so they really don't count!

I lump all the 67-76 Darts in one category because you can literally swap many parts. You can take a 67 hardtop roof and put it right on a 76. Sure the doors changed, but you CAN make them work. The 67-69 fenders and the 73-76 fenders CAN be swapped out with not much work. Heck I had to tell an original owner of a 69 M-Code Dart GTS that he had a 74 fender on his car, he didn't even realize it after the car was wrecked and a body shop fixed it!

even the b body darts...

-
Back