How many members can currently afford to work on their project car?

-
Haven't had much money to spend over the last couple of years, but hoping to do some maintenance and repairs this year! My Daily Driver needs some attention as well, so I'll need to make sure I have an alternative if I can't get the repairs on the daily driver done in a weekend!

How many members can currently afford to work on their project car?

Which project car?

I could knock out the Fords and the M-body in relative short order.

But that money's earmarked in building a '69 Super Bee over the coming months.

The Sport and the Barracuda? Not a chance.

Heck I just need a welder to get started on mine. I have been looking at a HF real hard.

I just got a job a few weeks ago,been outta work for nearly a year and a half.I sell lots of parts and repair plastic grilles but that $$$ has been used to take care of the family.I hope to have the funds in a few weeks to buy the new fuel system for my 69 cuda.I will also be buying the parts to repair the 93 Daytona Iroc R/T as I smoked the intermediate shaft and oilpump taking the boost over 18psi,oh well,live and learn(see pic):D
As far as the cold goes that never stopped me as I replaced the clutch in the Iroc R/T in my garage with no heat and it was 12 degrees.
I wish everyone here a great New Year and hope you all can get the funds together to take care of your projects.
Doug

Attachments

• 000_3955.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 170
To everybody that is cold in their garage.
Look real close at Lowes for a Mr. Heater it is 30-60,000 btu's hooks up to a propane bottle, they are on sale now for $109.00.

I'm done with projects. Just gonna enjoy them now.

Just waiting for spring.:sad5:

Attachments

• DSCF4807 (Medium).jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 162
Not I,I can do a few things that will not cost me money.But I am broke and out of supplies.

Jim

Every now and then I found some parts for my project but the biggest issue is time! Family, kids and my wifes horses takes time too!

i haven't had a job in about 1.5 months, so buying any parts has stopped me dead in my tracks...i cant really continue without the parts i need...the parts i had laying around and planned to hold on to for future builds, i sold just over the past 3 weeks to pay for rent, food, diapers, and my credit card....yea, im stressin out...

Mine is going very slowly due to funds. I need to get off my butt and try selling some of the spare stuff I have laying around to fund some more of it. The fact that the snow is on the ground doesn't help much either as the shop isn't heated. I'm hoping to be back on track starting this spring when it gets warmer out.

No, not at all in the last two or three years. I started gathering parts like gang busters right after I bought the cuda, then things tightened up through a couple of job losses. Then I lost my garage when I made the move so looking for things to turn around in the near future.

Just sold my done car, Now jonesin for a project.I swear I'm like a junkey.Got 2 lined up to go get after the 1st.Money from the done car will be used to start all over ...

Well, I have a heated shop but still spent the entire day outside working on a parts car that is trailer bound!! 8" of snow and more coming down, but I don't mind!!

As for my own projects, i always have something to do, and a hundred jobs lined up so I can always work on something!! Better yet, I have enough $$ in my Paypal to work on the dash for Sunfish, thanks to everybody here who bought parts from me in the last 6 month's!! Thanks y'all!! Geof

Well, since I have three kids in school at The University of Southern Miss, I don't have a lot of money for the car to say the least. I don't mind though, it's what's best for them right now. I drive the car at least 3 times a week every week so I wouldn't classify it as a project car. I have a wish list and I am currently working on a custom dash but it's not costing me anything except labor. If something major came up, it would be a disaster for me because it would take a while to fix it.

I really can't afford a good paint job right now and I really need to finish the body work for that to happen so it stays in primer for now. Other than that I'll do a few side jobs for cash for the car and I've sold some parts lately to fund my current upgrade.

I feel fortunate to have a garage now and a kerosene heater. Many a year all I could do was sit in the car and listen to the radio (as long as I charged the battery first). All work was done outside in the warmer months if there was money to buy supplies.

I can afford everthing that costs nothing & some of the other stuff as long as you don't tell the wife

I can afford to work on my '69 Dart,the really sad part is that I just don't have the desire to anymore !!! It's so close to being finished,but it's been that way for some time now !! Almost tempted to post it on Ebay and see what I can get for it !!:sad11::sad11:

not me ....
X2,...Not enough time, money, or daylight,...this time of year I try to get a part a month,....after all the other minor things like mortgage, food, power, Xmas, etc...weekends right now are for oil changes and repairs on the dailies,.man ***** chores, and firewood,...

Definitly low budget, but trying to do it 'decent' no matter how long it takes...
First thing I spent money on when I got my Ruster a few years ago was a Hobart 140 (never used a MIG previous) and some sheet metal. Saved a good bit by getting sheet metal and piecing things together. Lower quarters, inner fender area, trunk holes etc. I did shell out for the front floor pans from Year One.
Doing everything outside, so she's tarped for winter. Kinda works out good since I can't spend much on it for a while.
Watching ebay for parts over the winter.

Attachments

• 1348407935176.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 1348407952971.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 1348407962930.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 1354906683256.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 134
the ONLY reason i can do it, is bcoz i live with my aunt and uncle and i dont have to pay rent........they support me but not my hobby.....so they dont charge me for food or utilities or rent and they buy my books for school....but i have to support my own hobby and lifestyle and i owe on student loans for school. if i want fancy clothes or anything like that its all on me.

so i have a newspaper route and side maid job.....thats my mopar money....if i had to pay rent on what i make i would prolly be living in my car......but as long i dont get in trouble with the law or do something totally stupid they want me to stay here....so thats why i dont mind chores here...its the least i can do for a roof and a garage to make my car mess.

-
Back