How many miles to seat piston rings?

-

SoulSurvivor

Reaction score
How many miles do you think it takes to seat new piston rings? I am using Valvoline ZR-1 oil now but plan on changing to Synthetic brand of motor oil. I don't want to do it to soon. Any suggestions from the pros/engine builders out there?

Well I am no expert but I have built a few. Moly rings will be broke-in during cam break in. Cast rings take a bit longer usually within a couple hundred miles of break in. There are exceptions to this though. toolmanmike

How many miles do you think it takes to seat new piston rings? I am using Valvoline ZR-1 oil now but plan on changing to Synthetic brand of motor oil. I don't want to do it to soon. Any suggestions from the pros/engine builders out there?

If you drive it around town, and decel and accel some it should only take maybe 10-20 miles of driving. Bore finish can vary widely from shop to shop, so I would ask the guy who finished the bores. Moly rings should be in by the time the cam is in. Cast will take about 3 times as long. Those should be the ony 2 types of rings in a common build.
Brian

Thanks for the answers. I do appreciate it.

One other question. What are the affects of running a short oil filter vs the long, standard size one? I have been using the Wix brand and with the TTI headers I have had to use the shorty. I was thinking about an oil filter relocation kit but was worried about loss of oil pressure? Is that possible?

I am on motor number 7 broke in with Amsoil, no oil or compression issues, from vast experience with two strokes, I can say with a good hone and square bore, cast or moly coated, they will be broke in before you adjust the timing......

My general rule of thumb for engines NOT honed with a torque plate is 1000 miles. Might happen before then, but usually by 1000 they are broken in. If it was honed with a torque plate, they are seated nearbout soon as it warms up.

If you drive it around town, and decel and accel some it should only take maybe 10-20 miles of driving. Bore finish can vary widely from shop to shop, so I would ask the guy who finished the bores. Moly rings should be in by the time the cam is in. Cast will take about 3 times as long. Those should be the ony 2 types of rings in a common build.
Brian

What he said. VERY dependant on the bore finish and the assembly (cleanliness).

Thanks for the answers. I do appreciate it.

One other question. What are the affects of running a short oil filter vs the long, standard size one? I have been using the Wix brand and with the TTI headers I have had to use the shorty. I was thinking about an oil filter relocation kit but was worried about loss of oil pressure? Is that possible?
I also run the short WIX now and interested in the answer. Any opinions on this??

A shorter oil filter basically means less filtration, but not to the point to cause you any problems. A remotely mounted oil filter will not cause a drop in oil pressure. However, it will add about a quart to your overall capacity. I am running Doug’s headers on a small block, with the 90 degree oil filter adapter. My filter is run to the pass side floorboard, and I run a Wix 51515 with no problems.

Yeah, can size is amount of filtering area, which is not a poorer filtration but less filtration over a length of time. I've even used the 2.2/2.5/Neon filters for cam break in because it's only going to be on there for a few minutes. So if you run the short filter, plan to change your oil between 2k-3k miles. If you run the ling filter, you can go a little longer.

-
Back