How many of you do woodworking / DYI stuff?

-
There are already several woodworking forums.

I just found at least three while I was looking for a router bit to make "standard" clam shell profile baseboard out of the rough hewn cedar we currently have but my wife hates. I wanted to keep the cedar and it's insect repellent properties while eliminating the rough hewn look.

For the record, there are none! You can get bits for WAY more complicated baseboard and casing profiles but NOT the most popular, most simple profile. WTF?

BTW- my wife was a professional finish carpenter/cabinet maker for about 10 years.

I'm more of a wood butcher than a woodworker! My best project so far, was building my wife a few bird feeders out of Trex decking boards so they don't rot away in a few years. My woodworking tools consist of a Skil saw, chop saw, table saw, sawzall, and my trusty Stihl Farm Boss!
To answer the question, I have never gone to a woodworking website to find something out. It's always You Tube, which is where I went to learn that you cut crown molding upside down and backwards! :eek: :BangHead:

I'm more of a wood butcher than a woodworker! My best project so far, was building my wife a few bird feeders out of Trex decking boards so they don't rot away in a few years. My woodworking tools consist of a Skil saw, chop saw, table saw, sawzall, and my trusty Stihl Farm Boss!
To answer the question, I have never gone to a woodworking website to find something out. It's always You Tube, which is where I went to learn that you cut crown molding upside down and backwards! :eek: :BangHead:
That's my story too. lol

I've been working with wood since '89. I dunno if that qualifies.... o have built some strange things for people

What I'm wondering is if there is enough interest for me to make a new site based on this
I think that you make a killer site. I would be interested. So I would say give it a go, but I would not expect your car crowd to necessarily be the majority of folks over there. I believe of course there would be some, but I would try to reach out of the car folks to promote it. If that makes sense.

How many of you do woodworking / DYI stuff?

I'm wondering if I should make a seperate site for something like that....
I like woodworking and woodturning.

You can call it For Woodworking Only.

I wouldn’t add a Political forum to it though.

What about a metal detecting forum?

download.jpg

Joey,

From a money making perspective, I am afraid you may be behind the curve on this idea. Lots of youtube channels and facebook groups already out there.

If it were me and I decided to move forward, I would focus on a niche that would translate to clicks from your current user base. Maybe shop and garage building and improvements, along with some tool review content. I think you would have a large participation among for ( ) body type clients with this setup.

Just my two cents as a fellow small business owner.
AGREE! You beat me to it. There will be some interest, but will there be enough for a profitable site?

As an Electrician, I am a novice at woodworking, but with general DIY on my own home, and the need to dabble with wooden fixtures occasionally on my jobs.....I could benefit from proper methods and decent videos, if contributors to the site were honest.

I am tired of watching HGTV and the fact that they gloss over the real work that is required to complete or even begin a job.

My projects around home probably look a bit complicated or cumbersome...but I get the results which I am pleased with. I know that there is room for improvement here.

BTW I am building myself a set of outdoor stair stringers in the next few weeks.....having watched one guy on YT, I feel confident of cocking it up making a decent job of it. Might have to buy myself a pink shirt and tie my hair in a bun.

Here is my setup for making the cappings for garden & retainer walls two weekends back......

upload_2022-8-4_17-34-52.png

I build custom homes. Here is a 3D interactive walk through of one of my recent homes.
It's a small home. There was no large budget for this home. Very simple. Not a lot of really fine details.
Regardless, they are happy and this smaller style home has become quite popular as of the last year and a half.

Explore 30491 National Forest Dr in 3D

I would look and possibly participate in a wood working site. forwoodiesonly.

AGREE! You beat me to it. There will be some interest, but will there be enough for a profitable site?

I don't know. But pulling from the already established subscriber base would give it a good head start with traffic while it grows from new viewers added.

-
Back