How much did you pay for your A Body

-
I paid $605 for my '67 Barracuda fastback in 1974- just needed basic transportation while I finished my degree. Turquoise exterior, tan interior.

It had been originally sold in New Mexico, driven to Georgia and traded in at a Ford dealership. Windshield and paint on front end of the car had been eroded in a sandstorm, but it had a good-running 273/4-speed. Power nothing, aftermarket A/C unit, buckets, console. It needed a clutch and a battery, so I installed a factory clutch and LIFETIME GUARANTEED PENNEY'S BATTERY and haven't spent a dime for new batteries since- but have been through 5 batteries.

Moved to Michigan in 1976, repainted the car and stored it over winters. Another re-paint job 10 years ago, the painter was amazed to work on a car that old with zero rust. Now on clutch #3, but still the original, un-rebuilt motor and transmission. Over the years, added a Holley Economaster and MOPAR electronic ignition (both highly recommended). Looks good, still a nice ride.

Well lets see I paid $500 for my first car back in 2005..aaaaannnnnnnnnndddddddd 18 cars later I have my dart. Traded every other car up for a better model and eventually found my Dart...or it found me rather.

Paid $800 for my '68 Dart GT last year from a craigslist ad. It had been driven to the spot 15 years earlier. I had to replace the fuel tank, fuel pump, and rebuild the carb, as well as a basic tune up to get it running. And some used tires got it running and driving. But I bought it for a big block project.

After cleaning up the interior, all that needed replaced was the seat upholstery and the carpet, the door panels and dash pad look excellent. I have the 440, 727, 8 3/4 in and going, just needs body work and paint.

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_dscn0294.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 277
  • rsz_dscn0306.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 265
  • rsz_img_0005.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 260
  • rsz_img_0014.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 267
i paid $90.00 for mine back in 1986...........the guy had it advertised in the paper for a $125.00 and stated it didn't run. when i went over to look at it, it was just what i was looking for..........a 66 two-door hardtop valiant, r1 yellow with a vinyl top. left frt. fender was hammered, the rest of the body was ok.

so i ask the dude "does it turn over?"

suddenly the price goes down to $110.00. he states he doesn't know, so i get out a socket set up to turn the crank on the slant.

price goes down again..........100.
i tell him i don't care if the motor is good, its coming out anyway, i just want to know if i could start it to drive it home.

i put the socket on the crank, it turns about a quarter turn then locks up.

"ok" he says, "90.00" and points out that it has a brand new starter.

i say "kewl" and give him the cash. after i get it home i take the starter off of it, there's a hole in the block behind the starter about the size of a softball. lol.........

i guess #5 decided exit. heh.........
higgs

I paid $350 for my 70 swinger,but the pass door and 1/4 were stove in. Other than that it was a running driving plain jane Dart with a 318/904 and 8 3/4. There were some nice extras on the car like pinion snubber and rear defrost,but not much else..

Traded this less engine
scan0013.jpg

scan0009.jpg

For this
scan0040.jpg

scan0059.jpg

Was a running driving totally complete 340 H code 4spd, pic is when I started tear down for back half.
Motor was the one from the Challenger.

I paid $3000 for my 74 Dart Sport running and driving. I had to replace the fuel pump, starter and radio. It could use the V8 parts swapped over but it runs and sounds really good.

I paid 3300.00 for my 66 Dart GT 273 4 barrel 4 speed. right off the show room floor 45 years ago. Traded in a 62 Ford 406. Been MOPAR since then.

Dart8-17-2011006.jpg

In 1993 I drove past a house in Sherwood Oregon that had a 69 Dart Custom parked in the car port. The right front fender was smashed and the edge of the right door was damaged. It had obviously been sitting for awhile so I stopped and asked if it was for sale. The elderly lady that answered the door said no it was her husbands car and he was going to fix it. Long story short I stopped at that house every few months for the next 2 years. Finally in the spring of 95 the old guy decided that due to health reasons he would sell it. I asked him how much and he said $100.00 cash.
I paid him the money and he gave me the keys and original California title dated 1969. I run to the local parts store and purchased 5 quarts of oil, a battery and an alternator belt. Returned to the car, changed the oil, installed the battery and the belt, pumped up the tires and fired the slant 6 up. The car ran amazingly well. Just as a was leaving the wife brought me a box of paperwork for the car that included all documented services, oil changes etc since the car was new. The paperwork included the original owners manual and the business card from the dealership it was purchased at in San Bernardino California. The paperwork documented the 87,000 original miles on the vehicle. I drove the car 75 miles home without issue. Hung a used fender, fixed the door and shot it with a fresh coat of green paint and drove it daily until 2001 when the transmission went out. After sitting for the last 10 years I have decided to get it back on the road.

Had a motorhome with a big block sitting in my driveway that got 6 miles to the gallon, so we hardly ever used it.
I have a Nissan 720 PU that I used for my daily driving around to appointments.
When I parked it had just under 500,000 on it and I was getting sick of driving it, and now use it only to get my dirtbike to the trails.
Found the Dart on Craigslist in Phoenix and the car was actually 25 miles south of Phoenix.
I had been looking at Darts for a few weeks and had decided that this was what I was going to drive to my jobs from now on. (WAY more fun to drive)
Two days after I put the motorhome up for sale I sold it, called the guy and drove down to get it the next day.
He was asking 23 hundred for it and had to give it up since he had a new baby on the way and was very young, I gave it to him with no haggeling.
He had already done new disks and pads up front, new control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, U joints, timing chain and gears, water pump, distributor, plug wires, ign module, voltage regulator.
It has a Sony Explode system and a 400 watt amp (That I took out, cause don't need an amp)
Also got a box of extra parts and a Haynes manual.
Got in it and revved it to 4,000 and handed him the money and drove it 110 miles home without a hitch.

OH, I also talk to him via email and pictures to keep him updated on it like he asked me too.
And when he is in a better finacial spot may buy it back from me, because I actually wanted a 67-72 and will have it some day.

Attachments

• 1973Dart.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 232
traded mine what use to be my 1974 ford f100 ranger for my 1974 ply scamp. straight up.. ask me He got the better deal. but did trade for new baby needed something with a back seat asap. also am in the middle of buying, what i truly wanted, 69 dart gt. no motor trans for 600 needs body work.

About 5 minutes after bickering with my wife about getting another car, I walked out the back door of my house. Perfect timing, there was my 71 Dart sitting outside of a neighbors garage 3 houses away from me. I had never seen it before then and we had just moved in a few weeks earlier so I didn't know what was around. Musta been in the garage I thunk. An hour later I was sitting at her grandparents house eating our 2003 Easter dinner. The whole time I was thinking of that car. I told her about it and she said that its probably not for sale. "Ok but if it is maybe it will only be a grand or so" she said yeah, if you can the get it but don't get your hopes up". Looks like all my whining about was wearing her down.
About 3 months earlier, I stupidly sold my 70 Buick GS Stage 1 cause I lost my job (and as soon as the GS left, I got another one) and she was freaking about the mortgage. Ok, my idea but its what I did for my wife. I regret it now. And I sold my 66 Charger for an engagement ring but that's another story.
So heading home, about to turn onto our street, wouldntcha know what's sitting out on the main road for sale...
I called the number and long story short...that night my new Dart was sitting in my driveway. Whew.
98000 granny fresh miles 198/6. Oh...got it for asking price $500.00
I will post some pics when I figure out this stupid smart phone.?

1969 340 Notchback purchased reasonably complete with assembly required (still trying to lock in the LH Grille) in February 2011 for $2000 - Project almost complete say 15,000$ in it when done

1966 Formula S 4 Speed - purchased in 2000 (complete and running) 4500$ - nothing else done

1969 convertible - older restoration, not numbers matching, in process of purchasing and shipping (13,000) - car looks good in pictures, hope it meets my disillusion.....

NOTE TO SELF.......never build your own car!!! it cost too much!!!!

1969 340 Notchback purchased reasonably complete with assembly required (still trying to lock in the LH Grille) in February 2011 for $2000 - Project almost complete say 15,000$ in it when done

1966 Formula S 4 Speed - purchased in 2000 (complete and running) 4500$ - nothing else done

1969 convertible - older restoration, not numbers matching, in process of purchasing and shipping (13,000) - car looks good in pictures, hope it meets my disillusion.....

NOTE TO SELF.......never build your own car!!! it cost too much!!!!
never build your own car? wheres the fun in that ... i like to look at it and say i did that... Not say well i got it this way some other dude did it lol but hay if u have the cash go for it :burnout:

-
Back