How much do plan to have saved for retirement?

-

Ddaddy

I'm changing the World... one pixel at a time!
Reaction score
As I continue work through my retirement plan to be able to retire at age 65 (10 years away) I wonder how much other folks plan to have when they retire?

I am curious and looking for insight into what other folks plan to have saved.

I'm 15 years away from 65. And hoping to retire at 65 as well. I did manage to land a state job 5 years ago. A little late to the game but I'm still working with a pension. I should be getting about 50-55% of my pay at time of retirement. Plus I have enough time paid into social security to get a small % of that if it still exists in 15 years. And I also have a thing called the smart plan that I pay into every month. It is taken out before taxes and is invested in the stock market like an IRA. If that doesn't tank should be able to have about $100,000 in 15 years. I definitely feel behind on saving for retirement but at least on the right track now. Maybe when I retire I can afford a quality cardboard box and fancy cat food.

Semi retired now working part time in the oil field. 36 years in at the other company, have just under 1 mil in my 401. Plan to fully retire in 2 years when I'm 62. Should be good between pension that I'm getting now, SS, and 401.

How much you have in savings for retirement really depends upon how much income you will have in retirement and how much you need for expenses.
Just considering savings does not consider the complete picture.
I am not a financial planner, but I certainly recommend speaking with one when doing retirement planning. They can give you tips on calculating expenses, estimating income (social security-pension) and help you determine a plan that fits your requirements.

How much you have in savings for retirement really depends upon how much income you will have in retirement and how much you need for expenses.
Just considering savings does not consider the complete picture.
I am not a financial planner, but I certainly recommend speaking with one when doing retirement planning. They can give you tips on calculating expenses, estimating income (social security-pension) and help you determine a plan that fits your requirements.
I know how to plan appropriately for me, but I am curious what other folks are planning for them.

I know how to plan appropriately for me, but I am curious what other folks are planning for them.
Well, you should be good then, but just knowing what folks have saved, as you asked,,without knowing their planned income and expenses is meaningless.

5 months until retirement ...turn 66 in April....retiring at the end of June...Have Pension from State Job...that I retired at age 55...

If you are planning on getting a pension from a government job.....and social security, watch out for Windfall Elimination Provision...

Well, you should be good then, but just knowing what folks have saved, as you asked,,without knowing their planned income and expenses is meaningless.
Not really, it is still a point of reference even knowing that everone’s circumstance is different. Besides, opening the discussion is half the point.

The million dollar egg is overated. I too am Blessed with a pension. It is income streams that are important in retirement. Can’t live off of assets. 65 now. Working due to great job and getting out of the house. (Away from Linda). Postpone SSI too, even after retirement. Grows 8% a year.

To do again, put more in the Roth. Get it later without tax or penalty. Pile is too painful to touch now, therefore no Hellcat.

Last edited:
I retired 20 years ago from a City job with a comfortable pension. House was payed off so just have utilities, house taxes and other necessities. The big thing is when I'm gone so is my pension, so years ago I took out an insurance policy so my wife would have something substantial to survive with when I'm gone. Actually with Direct deposit I have more money in the bank now than ever before.

We have $350k in savings, no debt, full medical and a monthly pension of 9k, I think we are sitting pretty good.

Last edited:
If I'd stayed at my first job, I would've had to take early retirement last year (a bunch of guys from my 'class' at that company did in December), or face a much lower retirement plan payout...not sure what that would've been by this point, but would've been enough of a monthly (plus medical benefits!) to allow for a lower stress/fun 'second career' job for another 12 years until SSI (if it's still solvent). But I sold out for a bigger paycheck at a new gig 20 years ago :)

It's all about income stream, not principal. If I could figure out how to get a steady 10%-15% return, I'd probably be good, barring runaway inflation, changes to tax laws, etc., if I had medical coverage...

No pension for me, just my savings and SS. Figure I’ll need $1.2M saved here in Taxifornia. Maybe five or six years down the road. I’ll be about 67 by then. My wife has an old time Federal Employee pension. She’s already retired and set for life.

No pension and no SS for me, I’ll be lucky if I have $100k, so I just plan to work until I keel over. Although, my circumstances may dictate an option of taking over my MIL’s property and business, which pays for the property and day to day operations.

No pension for me, just my savings and SS. Figure I’ll need $1.2M saved here in Taxifornia. Maybe five or six years down the road. I’ll be about 67 by then. My wife has an old time Federal Employee pension. She’s already retired and set for life.

Don`t know about what other people need , but you should start thinking about it way earlier than I did !!
GOD only knows , but a lot will depend on ur health !

I guess based on past employment pension no pension etc...some look at needing savings versus monthly cash flow.
I look at monthly cash flow. Like some here, I retired with a state retirement. I also get a military retirement (National Guard) which pays for the wife and I's health insurance (BIG!!).
My wife soon will retire with her state retirement. In a couple years she'll also get her military retirement.
We both get VA benefits and someday soon SS.
Our monthly cash flow is pretty good.
Combine that with savings and Roth IRA we have done well with our combined efforts.
I tell my kids that they can't start too soon planning for retirement. I hope we've set a good example.
Everyone needs a plan to somewhat maintain their life style in retirement. I feel retiring on a savings must be a thoughtful process. How long will I live/plan for?? What do I want to do?? Economy up/down?? The unplanned big bump good or bad?? Lots of things to consider.
Knowing you somewhat Dave I'm sure you have an idea. Everyone is different due to the variables involved in their individual lives.
I got a feeling you'll be fine!!

I'm scheduled to retire on my 55th birthday with a full pension. I've been saving extra as I want to play with cars and enjoy life after the hustle.

Riddler

To all of you who have had a good or great career and could afford to support your family, educate the kids and prepare for your golden years , I congratulate you . Not only do you need this planning but you must be in good health . Health is of the utmost importance . Having menial jobs most of my life , it took everything I had just to get by . God was good to us and fortune prevailed . We have a wonderful home in the north with mountain views , 2 car garage , a dog , and dependable transportation . Unfortunatly Mrs.'s health isn't good and it's a BIG exense . Anyway , a big mistake retired people make is thinking they can maintain a lifestyle that is the same as when they were working 2 jobs and spouse working 1 job . If you like working , keep working if you want . If you decide to stop working be prepared to live on 1/2 of what you previously earned . the sucky part is that prices keep going up but the income is the same . We can always go live in a ship container in the woods with no indoor plumbing . LOL

Probably not enough.... Health insurance is the wild card. No pension, just 401K and savings. Gotta get the twins through college (The graduate HS in the fall...which floors me!), then see how the finances look.

I'm 15 years away from 65. And hoping to retire at 65 as well. I did manage to land a state job 5 years ago. A little late to the game but I'm still working with a pension. I should be getting about 50-55% of my pay at time of retirement. Plus I have enough time paid into social security to get a small % of that if it still exists in 15 years. And I also have a thing called the smart plan that I pay into every month. It is taken out before taxes and is invested in the stock market like an IRA. If that doesn't tank should be able to have about $100,000 in 15 years. I definitely feel behind on saving for retirement but at least on the right track now. Maybe when I retire I can afford a quality cardboard box and fancy cat food.

Keep in mind that 50 to 55% of your gross actually gives you a significantly higher percentage of take home pay, as a lot of employment taxes are no longer taken out once you retire.

You can estimate what your take home pay will be by starting with your average gross pay per pay period, subtracting just the state(if any) and federal taxes from the gross amount. That remaining balance represents what you can expect your take home pay to be, which is usually a much higher percentage than the 50-55%.

Keep I mind that those same taxes could be lower too, depending on how much other income you have coming in versus how many write off's.

The current wealth redistribution focused government of California takes over 11% right off the top. First thing I'll do at retirement is move to Nevada. That's like giving yourself an 11 % annual income increase, and you can always visit the overcrowded place. The $ grabbers are working overtime over there to invoke a state tax to fill their coffers and grow the government bigger. It's mostly the idiots that moved from California to get away from the very same taxes they want to induce in Nevada.

Last edited:
To all of you who have had a good or great career and could afford to support your family, educate the kids and prepare for your golden years , I congratulate you . Not only do you need this planning but you must be in good health . Health is of the utmost importance . Having menial jobs most of my life , it took everything I had just to get by . God was good to us and fortune prevailed . We have a wonderful home in the north with mountain views , 2 car garage , a dog , and dependable transportation . Unfortunatly Mrs.'s health isn't good and it's a BIG exense . Anyway , a big mistake retired people make is thinking they can maintain a lifestyle that is the same as when they were working 2 jobs and spouse working 1 job . If you like working , keep working if you want . If you decide to stop working be prepared to live on 1/2 of what you previously earned . the sucky part is that prices keep going up but the income is the same . We can always go live in a ship container in the woods with no indoor plumbing . LOL

I have been blessed and divinely guided in life and in a career that spans 30 years and provides a pension and lifetime medical. It is the exception these days.

At 56, I am too young to retire according to my fathers retired friends, so I plan to work until 60. Two years later, I will get the maximum Social Security benefit if I decide to take it early. I also have 5 rental units in Silicon Valley, which continues to be very lucrative , as is the property value growth here.

I spent this past December in Thailand. It was my first time there. It is the best country and nicest people I have ever experienced, and they can friggin' drive over there. I never did get used to driving on the opposite side though. Living costs are about 12 cents on the dollar compared to here. Annual full coverage medical insurance is less than $200 a year, and medical tourism is a huge attraction there. Their doctors are almost all educated here, the facilities in the cities are brand new and state of the art.

My goal is to adopt an orphanage or small school there and help the kids get a good education. I respect and appreciate the culture they have there. It is respectful, tolerant and welcoming.

I plan to spend 3 months during our winter there each year. It will reduce my monthly living expense to less than a third of what it is here during that time, and at a much higher standard of living.

None of this was planned because I am super smart or anything, rather I have just been suiting up and showing up and doing the next right thing. My income will go up considerably when I retire do to some minor changes I'll make at the same time. I am blessed because of God working in my life.

None of this matters if I don't continue to have good health, exercise and eat & live clean though, right? It's also very important to give back with time and resources to those who are otherwise without.

Last edited:
I think that with SS if your family history says that you'll live a long life then start taking SS later but if your family history says that you won't live more than 10/15 after you retire then I would take the SS as soon as it's available so that you get the most out of it. As for myself, we managed to pay off our house a long time ago and put a ton of money into Roth IRAs. Now with interest rates rising we're getting a great pay back with no taxes on the interest (ever). The other good thing about Roth IRAs is that they can be transferred to your kids (if you have any). I retired at 54 after working my @ss off for many years. I get SS and my government retirement. My wife will also be getting a retirement check when she retires. So....we'll be OK but only because we put as much money as possible into the retirement system and into Roth IRAs.
We consider ourselves lucky!! Treblig

Good luck to you. I've worked for several places that ended up out of business. One of them in particular got me a huge loss in retirement due to backruptcy. Along with some medical hits over the years. So here I am at 70, working 3 days a week building electronics/ electrics for wheelchairs. I've doubled my income over SS, but franky, double "not much" is not much of an increase, especially when you were behind to start with.

State pension, well over funded so no worry there, retired at 51 due to on the job accident. Wife almost 150K and growing, 401 that we haven't touched. Our SS and my pension easily covers the nut. Our health insurance is free for us through my employer for life. Mandated Part B $3,000 total a year for both of us. Spent a ton on daughters education, which was the best money we ever spent. (Only $8,800 in school loans after 6 years and three degrees. Very Proud of her.)
Mutual funds have been very good to us, other than occasional bumps in the road. Wife is the saver in family as we lived for the most part on my salary for years. Hers went to some savings and daughter$ education. I began to learn about investing when I first retired, had good advise.
I would find a good financial adviser, and also educate yourself about investing in the market. I had a lot of time on my hands at 51 so I read a lot about finance, but a pro is the way to start. I often looked over their shoulder and now make my own investments.

Just a blue collar bum who was blessed by the Lord, because I had NO plan. :) ... Get started NOW. Good luck.

Last edited:
-
Back