How much does a 1974 duster weigh?

-

PG Duster

Reaction score
I have a 1974 Plymouth Duster with a 360 magnum swap, 727 transmission and eight and three-quarter rear end. It also has no a/c, manual, steering, and manual breaks. It has an aluminum intake manifold, headers, and Weld Pro Star wheels, and no spare tire. I haven’t been able to put the car on a scale yet when I’m at my local dragstrip for test and tune the scales are not open. What do you think the weight of my car is without me in it?

IMG_9957.jpeg

IMG_9817.jpeg

IMG_9956.jpeg

Last edited:
Aluminum headers?
I’d guess the car weighs between 3300-3500 lbs

I haven't a clue to offer, but you can lose close to a metric ****-ton by removing the bumper absorbers and going to earlier bumper brackets.

I haven't a clue to offer, but you can lose close to a metric ****-ton by removing the bumper absorbers and going to earlier bumper brackets.
It does weigh a lot, I found that out when I detailed the car and took the rear bump off.

3485 lbs. and yes remove F&R bumper braces & will drop easy 180 lbs.

My 72 Demon- stripper car meaning bare bones from factory- single rear mirror, rubber mat no carpet, the only option was power steering. But 340/ 4speed 8-3/4 rear weighed 3132 at the track last year. Add a few pounds for the holidays.

Almost any truck stop or highway commercial truck scale can weigh you. Most might even do it for free. A scrap metal place or a rock and stone quarry typically has a scale too. Just ask if there is a fee but most people are good about it as long as you don’t return after every bolt you remove.
Syleng1

If I remember correctly, mine was 3160 - no spare and 1/4 tank of gas. That was with small block, 904, 7.25. Has the space saver rear seat which adds weight. Mine came with the impact rear bumper, but not the front. I also have drum brakes all the way around.

I have since added a 8.75 rear end

Last edited:
My ‘71 is listed under 3K. It ain’t got nothing!
OEM /6-904-8-3/4.

But back to the ‘74. I’d like to know!

If I remember correctly, mine was 3160 - no spare and 1/4 tank of gas. That was with small block, 904, 7.25. Has the space saver rear seat which adds weight. Mine came with the impact rear bumper, but not the front. I also have drum brakes all the way around.

I have since added a 8.75 rear end
Ok, found the image.
1700097781130.png

That’s A good idea to take it to a truck scale or scrap yard. I will do that the next time I take it out.

After I get it weighed, is there a kit to remove the bumper shocks, and mount a newer bumper on the front and rear, To reduce the weight. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Last edited:
My 72 Demon- stripper car meaning bare bones from factory- single rear mirror, rubber mat no carpet, the only option was power steering. But 340/ 4speed 8-3/4 rear weighed 3132 at the track last year. Add a few pounds for the holidays.

Almost any truck stop or highway commercial truck scale can weigh you. Most might even do it for free. A scrap metal place or a rock and stone quarry typically has a scale too. Just ask if there is a fee but most people are good about it as long as you don’t return after every bolt you remove.
Syleng1
Good idea.

The roundy round guys at Irwindale race shop can give you a four corner weight, if you ask nice. It might cost a little.
I didn’t know that, the next time I’m at Irwindale I will be making a trip over there. And I will ask nicely lol. Thank you 33IMP, the last time I was at Irwindale the car went 7.22 et.

My "Stock" 71 Demon 340 was 2900 on the scales
last week at World Finals. No Acid lightning or Aluminum
replacements parts with a 150 Lb Chrome Moly Certified Full
Cage. With a full fuel cell.

Looks can be Deceiving!

Last edited:
The doors are heavier on a 1974 with the crash doors and the ugly bumpers. I’m allowed to say that because I’ve had 3 of them.

Speedway has proform wired scales for $190 off (still $750!). I must say I'm seriously tempted. They aren't getting any cheaper.

After I get it weighed, is there a kit to remove the bumper shocks, and mount a newer bumper on the front and rear, To reduce the weight. Any help would be greatly appreciate.
I don't know about a kit..... but we have a fiberglass place we can drive to, and inspect their parts before purchase, and avoid crating and shipping charges. Unlimited Is in Hesperia. Most here don't have that advantage. (I guess I consider that local, since I go thru there at least twice/month)
I think I would put a glass bumper on it, at least on the front.
Unfortunately, unlimited doesn't sell anything I need for my cars that I would buy glass for.

This one weighed around 2800 pounds with a steel headed big block, (440) steel doors, steel fenders, stock floor, Mini tubbed with steel wheel wells, stock frontend, and me in the car at the line.

24198808717_3bee39cd1c_o.jpeg

27652226508_a415dff739_o.jpeg

IMG_3181.jpeg

38586148865_9b9b9eabce_o.jpeg

IMG_2458.jpeg

-
Back