how much for a 70 dart?

-

mopar marc

Reaction score
Ok heres the deal, My buddy has a 70 dart (340) swinger that he bought new when he got home from Vietnam. He put 30,000 miles on the car before wiping out a cam lobe, then he parked it. So it sat in his back yard for the last 30 years and needs a complete restoration, no seriuos rust issues but some surface rust and lots of dents and dings. Again this guy is a good friend and has always said if he is going to sell he will sell to me. So my delimma is how much to offer him I am thinking 2k, again numbers matching 340 dart swinger that needs complete resto. I know its tough without seeing the car but you guys get the idea. Thanks for your input. Marc

Marc, in cases like this I usually never make an offer - let the other person give you a price first then wrangle from there if necessary. I find that sometimes you can either insult the person you make the offer to if you go too low, or you can really spend a bunch more money than necessary if you offer a price and find out later they would have accepted much less and been happy.

I agree with OldVart, let him know you`re interested but let him pick a number to start with. From there you can negotiate a price that both of you can remain friends over.

I will agree with oldvart.
Another solution would be try to find another car about the same condition and you and him be the judge. Hope you both are happy campers after the sell.
Friendship first car second :toothy7:

I paid $3500.00 for my '70 Dart Swinger 340 3 years ago without an engine or Transmission. The Body was for the most part immaculate and had already had the paint stripped. Saved alot of money not having to do major body repair. Swinger 340's and Demon's are getting harder to find as the other Mopar Muscle has gone into the stratosphere.

Marc, let him give you a price. Say this to him, "It is your car and you are the only one that knows how much you will let it go for". This has worked every time for me.

Chuck

I'm in the car biz. Let the owner set his price & go from there. I would think the car would do 5-6 grand if it is complete & a 1-owner. Bottom line after a full resto, what will it be worth? Are you buying it to keep or sell after the resto? If your buying it to keep, then paying a little more than its worth is not a bad idea. Spend the money & be happy. Its not every day that you can find a complete 340 Swinger with history. You might try this, offer him what he paid for it new. Now that would be a bargain.

The drive line alone is worth 2K... Priced complete core 340's, a body 8 3/4 and complete 4 speed set ups (if it's a 4 spd) lately????

I'd say a fair value is anywhere from 3-6K depending on condition of the body and options. If it an impact color that makes it more desirable as well. If it needs every panel replaced, obviously, on the lower end.

If you can get pics and a look at the fender tag, post up the info/pics. I have a 70 340 swinger as well and always interested in what's out there.

And try and have him give you a price... you can always look like the good guy by giving him more than he's asking... Just a thought and it really works. If he gave you a $500 price you could buy it for the $500, then float him an additional amount later, $1500-2000, because you found out the car was worth more. You get a good baseline car, your buddy thinks you're great for squaring up to a more reasonable level. All about Karma... All sorts of ways to get him a fair amount for the car. Let him price it first.

Rob

Thanks guys, its a plum crazy low option car and I will be keeping it once its finished he will of cours be able to drive it when ever he wants. I will try and get some pics this weekend.

340mopar said:
For a factory 340 Swinger? OK, you have got to be kidding!

Chuck

I agree....I would buy my car again in a heartbeat! Perfect sheetmetal and already soda blasted to strip the paint so no hidden surprises. Didn't care about engine Transmission as I already had something in the works. I've always loved Gomango with the blacked out hood. I still kick my self in the arse as a little over a year ago someone from Tampa on Moparts had a Plum Crazy '70 340 Swinger with original engine and 4 speed for like $4500. It went unsold for a long time because it was dismantled and the guy had lost interest....supposedly no or little rust. Seems people would rather buy a rusty complete car than an unfinished resto that is decent shape. Don't see to many Demons or 340 swingers for sale anymore and if you do they're commanding premium prices.

I can tell you this: In the Bay Area/nor cal area, 340 dart's are going for more than 3000, in whatever condition. There is a 383 gts with front end damage and a parts car on craigslist in sonoma going for 5000+, and it looks like crap. There is a 340 swinger going for 3500 also that needs total resto, does not run! So, respectfully submitted, those of you who think 2000 is too much, well you must get good deals, and I could use a hookup!!! so get back at me if you get better prices than these, cause it's crazy trying to find good mopar out here these days! I am paying 3500+ for a 68 barracuda right now! But I love it............

stroker mike said:
I can tell you this: In the Bay Area/nor cal area, 340 dart's are going for more than 3000, in whatever condition. There is a 383 gts with front end damage and a parts car on craigslist in sonoma going for 5000+, and it looks like crap. There is a 340 swinger going for 3500 also that needs total resto, does not run! So, respectfully submitted, those of you who think 2000 is too much, well you must get good deals, and I could use a hookup!!! so get back at me if you get better prices than these, cause it's crazy trying to find good mopar out here these days! I am paying 3500+ for a 68 barracuda right now! But I love it............

fastback or notchback? A body Barracuda's are cool!

Fastback! 318 ELE police interceptor, A999 tranny, no rust, all chrome and trim intact, disc brake conversion, and more. I love the little badge on the side that says Barracuda-V8 with the fish!

a number 5 "restorable needing complete restoration) 1970 340 swinger is valued at $2,400 in the old car price guide. a number 4 car which is"driveable needing minor work to be complete, from 20 feet away there is no doubt it needs a lot of help" is valued at $4,000. it's the only info i have.

I paid about $2500 for mine 4 years ago. Fairly solid and rust free body, but needed total restoration. An original B5 blue 340 4-speed car; matching #'s 340 short block included but not much of anything else; no heads, exhaust, intake, accessories, etc, etc.... No interior whatsoever, some missing and/or cracked glass, lots of missing trim... You get the idea.

:nike: Check it out good. frame rails that have set near the ground for 30 years are probably paper thin, same as the floors, look under the carpet in front. The windshield wipers probably leaked and their are probably issues there. Check the fire wall and where the fenders bolt to the inner fenders. All of this aside what state of the union did this car reside? Did the sun destroy the interior or the snow and ice get to it? If it was garaged it would be a steal!!! I travel the back country roads in Pa. as part of my job and have found some but most are bodily junk. NOW THE GOOD PART, AS EARILER SAID THE ENGINE IS WORTH 600.00 THE TRANY 200.00 AND THE REAREND WITH LIMITED SLIP 500.00. IF THE ENGINE TURNS AND ITS A 4 SPEED YOUR TALKIN 2000.00. iF IT HAS BUCKETS 300.00 AND RALLEY DASH/ WITH TUFF WHEEL 200.00 AND IF YOU HAVE RALLEY WHEELS REFINISHING THEM WOULD BE ANOTHER 400.00.
IF I COULD BUY THIS CAR FOR 2500.00 I WOULD JUMP ON IT. MY 2 CENTS.YOUR MOPAR BROTHER WALT. :thumbup:

I recently bought a 72, 340 Duster for $2200. No motor or running gear. My family thought I was eating funny mushrooms. A true H car with 8 3/4, and decent body. Looking at some of the prices on E-bay, I consider it a value, and a good investment. The last post had some very good advice.
Howard

Brother walt had some great advice as well as everyone else, as I recall it had bench seats ( low option ) I am currently out of town so I have not had time to get back there and check it out. as I said he wont sell it to anyone but me mostly because he knows he can drive it whenever he wants. Thanks again for the input guys once again this website has proved to be tops. Marc

-
Back