how much horsepower from my 318?

-
Jones, you will get all chewed out for hinting he better upgrade something....... Strokerscrap will be all over you.

I didn't chew anybody out. You're the one callin people "pumpkin". All I tried to do was keep in mind that he said he didn't have much money. If the thing runs good now, use it. You sure are gettin sensitive. You need some Midol, and some Kotex?

hello, my old 318 made 240,as far as i know the engine itself was standard internally except for a very mild cam, 650 holley,offenhauser inlet,headman headers.was a livley motor,i just got bit with the 440 bug.....

My Wifes Ramcharger with a stock 2bbl, single plane intake, and 70 truck manifolds will outrun your dart 0-60, with a crane 270 low lift 119$ cam and lifter set cam........ (3.55 gears may have some to do with that, but it is still a heavy brick)

The stock 318 cam is too small for gas mileage even. :icon_smi: No joke.

Ohhhh so your wifes Ramcharger, that probably weighs Over 4,000 pounds or more with a 2bbl 318, Cam and some 3.55 gears will outrun my 4bbl 600cfm Holley and dual exhaust dart? Suuurrreee I hear a lot of :bs:.
A 1970 Dodge charger with a stock 440 only does 60 in 6 seconds. Your wifes 2bbl 318 Ramcharger thats heavier must be faster than that too eh? 8) So that 2bbl 318 is making as much power as a 440 now? Might as well be with all these false claims you have going around. Even with a stock 440 that heavy truck would never get a 0-60 time of 7 seconds. It'd need more.

The only way a 318 will get decent benefits from a cam is with some head/valve work FIRST. Otherwise the gains are small.

I would suggest that you save your money, not do a thing with the 318 and go and buy a running 360 with a 4bbl and intake. you can find them easily for $200. much better bang for your buck.

i had a 318 2barrel std exhaust and a904 auto it gave me 160hp at the rear wheels unrestord. (exscuse my spelling)

I figured I was pretty close with his with 4 barrel and headers at 180 plus if you got 160 with a stockert hanks for helping me out on this one. I had a slant 6 years ago that went fro 18.8 bone stock 1/4 mile to 18.0 with a super six carb and intake and some clofford headers. Thats 8/10 of a second and I would assume his 318 with 4 barrel and headers woulsd achieve similar results

i all ready have the heads on the engine but ill see if i cant find a picture somewhere on my phone of the porting. i don't know if its a roller cam. the engine is out of a 86 dodge panel van.

I think the roller motors began in 88.

Ohhhh so your wifes Ramcharger, that probably weighs Over 4,000 pounds or more with a 2bbl 318, Cam and some 3.55 gears will outrun my 4bbl 600cfm Holley and dual exhaust dart? Suuurrreee I hear a lot of .

9.2 seconds? Yes, I shoulda' clarified....... my bad, I wouldn't of expected you to read and think at the same time, and be aware of the possibility I was comparing your 2bbl 318 to my 2bbl 318.....

A 1970 Dodge charger with a stock 440 only does 60 in 6 seconds. Your wifes 2bbl 318 Ramcharger thats heavier must be faster than that too eh? So that 2bbl 318 is making as much power as a 440 now?

The 70 440 Charger is heavier than an 88 2wd ramcharger....... But it's your story, since you are putting letters on my screen....

Might as well be with all these false claims you have going around. Even with a stock 440 that heavy truck would never get a 0-60 time of 7 seconds. It'd need more.

Sigh.......

The only way a 318 will get decent benefits from a cam is with some head/valve work FIRST. Otherwise the gains are small.

*bowlshit* cough cough........

But if you believe your stock cammed 318 runs as good as it would with say, a off the shelf 260ish duration summit cam? Then it's your story too......

For ***** and giggles, I'm gonna' go take me a video of the RC doing exactly what you did, I'll post it up for ya in the next couple-few days.... :)

And since were dinky waggin' in another dudes thread.... my 74 Dually would make your holley carb dual exhaust car look like a VW bus....... :)

Funs over, I'll get me a vid, and count the seconds, post it, and if I am lucky, it will beat 7.2!!!!! (not gonna happen, I don't think)

I had to do a doubletake.....I was like "pumpkin"? wtf? LMAO

LOL, yeah, just a little subtle reminder that I never ever get agitated about things on the net.... It's all in fun.

BTW, for anyone that is wondering why I would like details about the porting, IF, it actually is ported, pretty decent, from experience, it will actually make less power than it would not ported with the stock cam. You see, sometimes the cam doesn't allow enough flow at said RPM, causing the fuel/air mixture to be slow, dead, and not mix.... Getting something to run good is more of a matching game, than a throw parts at it game. All in all, I was really trying to be helpful, really, I swear!

I would suggest that you save your money, not do a thing with the 318 and go and buy a running 360 with a 4bbl and intake. you can find them easily for $200. much better bang for your buck.

But the mount and converter are a months pay........ on top of the engine he already has...

What is up with you 360 guys, gawd, almost as bad as the 350 guys......

Chevy guy #1: Dude, nice camaro, whats it got in it.
Chevy guy #2: A 325HP 327.
Chevy guy #1 Oh, dooooood, you should put a 350 in it........

What's the casting number on the heads?

Is it a hydraulic roller block?

You know, thats what I think too, or was it 86???? I have seen 85 year blocks drilled for the rollers. Tried and true rule of thumb for these mid 80's rigs seems to be the rule that nobody knows for sure.

Have you really? Then, I would say 85 was the first year cause they didn't do extra machinin just to waste money. You can bet on that.

My math... Estimating a little:
230 + 25ish more hp = 255
255 x .82 (18% driveline loss) = 209hp at the tires. The big deal is the cam... Stick the small summit cam in it and I'd expect another 25hp at least.

Just some input but I bought my cam, spring, lock, and retainer set from Herbert cams I don't remember the price though I no for sure it was under 300 shipped. My 318 runs awesome I have a 600 cfm edel, hooker headers, double timing chain, edel performer int, bored 40, tayler wires, dual exhaust 40 flowmasters with cutouts, and cam 485 ish lift and 225 dur @50 later I'm going to upgrade my heads to 302 swirl port heads and port em

Ohhhh so your wifes Ramcharger, that probably weighs Over 4,000 pounds or more with a 2bbl 318, Cam and some 3.55 gears will outrun my 4bbl 600cfm Holley and dual exhaust dart? Suuurrreee I hear a lot of :bs:.
A 1970 Dodge charger with a stock 440 only does 60 in 6 seconds. Your wifes 2bbl 318 Ramcharger thats heavier must be faster than that too eh? 8) So that 2bbl 318 is making as much power as a 440 now? Might as well be with all these false claims you have going around. Even with a stock 440 that heavy truck would never get a 0-60 time of 7 seconds. It'd need more.

http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums...le Uploads/?action=view&current=Video0020.mp4

i got the engine in, didnt do anything else to the engine other then dual 3'' dynomax race mags exhaust.

268425_240826905930140_100000084975404_1044163_4947788_n.jpg

253773_227346610611503_100000084975404_1002211_4152078_n.jpg

This is all above me.

STOCK 318 2bbl that cars came with .

putting a 4bbl intake , 500-600cfm 4bbl carb , headers and straight exhaust has to add some small amount of hp. I’ve done this many times and cars run waaaay better , faster and better response than they did stock . How much hp is actually added ?

-
Back