Eddy Air Gap intake dual plane
Eddy 650 Carb
Comp Cam XE284 hyd.
Comp. Ratio approx. 8.5:1
Balanced rotating assembly
Stock 1972 360 cast iron exhaust manifolds
Probably a 2-1/2" Flowmaster exhaust system

For those of you that have gone thru this, about how
much power and torque should I expect at the wheels?

Thank You for your input

Tony,
With the stock intake and manifolds I would guess about 320 HP and 300 Ft.Lbs.. The heads become ineffective with the manifolds, exhaust. Can't get it out effectively enough to make use of the heads. IMO

Sorry I didn't see it, but your still limited by how much the engine can get rid of. Hedders would be a big help with everything else that you have.

What he said...You can make better useable power without the big $$ parts if you plan to run manifolds. Useable being the key word there...

what they said. Nick

NMC_ru_Pickerell_jpg.jpg

The XE284 is going to be too much cam for a compression ratio less than 9:1. The engine is going to be quite doggy below 3000 rpm and the stock exhaust manifolds will limit the power where the cam will start to work. You will also require a convertor with quite a high stall speed to make it driveable.

A much better choice for a cam would be the XE262 or XE268.

I already have the converter (2800-3200) I believe. Looks like it would
be better to dump the stock exhaust manifolds and go with headers based
on the replys I have got.
If I do this I will go with the TTI's. As far as compression ratio goes the 8.5:1
was a guess. Block was not milled so the pistons are still down in the hole. I wanted to be able to run 87 octane fuel. This way I would never have to worry about finding prem. fuel.

The car will not be used on the strip, only on the street, and a Power Tour
now and then.

Would the 284 cam still be too much...I had ordered a 268 but decided to switch to get a little better sound.

Tony Fields said:
Bores +.060
Eddy Performer RPM Alum. heads 2.02 x 1.60
Eddy Air Gap intake dual plane
Eddy 650 Carb
Comp Cam XE284 hyd.
Comp. Ratio approx. 8.5:1
Balanced rotating assembly
Stock 1972 360 cast iron exhaust manifolds
Probably a 2-1/2" Flowmaster exhaust system

For those of you that have gone thru this, about how
much power and torque should I expect at the wheels?

Thank You for your input

My calcs say you have ±9.5CR with flat top in the hole .080 pistons, .024 gasket and 63cc Eddys.
As said the XE268H would be a good cam
Camshaft Part # 12-242-2 Designation XE268H-10
Duration @ 0.006" 268 / 280 Duration @ 0.050" 224 / 230
Max Lift w/ 1.5RR 477 / .480 Lobe Separation 110
Lobe ID#'s 5443 / 5203 Intake Centerline 106

or my rec would be to step up a bit to the XE 275HL part # 20-227-4 which will still work good with your convertor - and the sound will be there too.

If you only plan to drive on the street I would go with the XE268H. My 360 is built with 10.6:1 compression with the XE268H cam and is producing ~370 HP and has run a very traction limited 13.7 second 1/4 at 102 mph.

I am using iron magnum heads which are closed chamber and with the ideal quench the engine runs with no audible detonation just fine on 89 octane so using step dish pistons to get the compression somewhat under 10 should make it run on 87 fine. With aluminum heads you can run more compression (and need to to get the same power) as iron heads. The throttle response is assume with the higher compression, the engine revs instantly and it's very satisfing to drive around.

If you have no plans for the strip then why saddle your self with an engine that will make all it's power in the 3500-6500 range when most of your driving is going to be in the 1500-3000 range? I would go with a cam of less duration and make the car more street friendly.

Also, why would you saddle your self with a requirement for 87 octane on a cruiser when it will only cost an additional $3 more on a typical 14 gal fill-up to use 93 octane. I can see the concern on a daily driver but a toy?

I dont' think I have ever seen a gas station that does not sell premium, a few that don't have the middle grade but with so many of the new performance cars requiring it can't imagine a station staying business long if they didn't.

Tony, We run the xe284 cam in a 360 Duster. Its alot of cam for street use. Its happy in our application with 9.8 CR, 3.9 gears, 9 1/2" 3500 stall converter and headers. It wouldnt work well with your converter, exhaust manifold, and all street use. The XE series are great cams to minimize cylinder pressure bleed off, I'd look at a smaller one like the other guys suggested.

Just to add: More cam overlap = less static compression. The valves are opened longer and thus at low speeds it is more likley to reduce the effective compression and result in much less low end pulling power. I would get the compression in the 9.5 range with this much cam, or get one of the other cams suggested above. It is always better to under cam on the street!

Good luck, and with decent headers, a good ignition system, and a good valve job you should be at almost 1HP per cu".

-
Back