How much hp/w2

-
I think the 640 ish number someone posted above is a pretty fair number for a W2 head and a single 4 cast intake.
I know of a W5 single 4 cast intake motor that made 700, and proved it at the track. That is the highwater mark i am aware of regards actual track results for either set of heads W2/ W5.
To me a dyno can say anything. But getting it on a track tells the real tale. Weight/ MPH

I think the 640 ish number someone posted above is a pretty fair number for a W2 head and a single 4 cast intake.
I know of a W5 single 4 cast intake motor that made 700, and proved it at the track. That is the highwater mark i am aware of regards actual track results for either set of heads W2/ W5.
To me a dyno can say anything. But getting it on a track tells the real tale. Weight/ MPH

I made over 700 with W5 heads but it took a tunnel ram and alcohol to do it. Again, had I had to do it again, I could have made more knowing what I know now. It would take more welding and I'd damn sure use a smaller exhaust valve. Would even do that with a W2 head. Should have mentioned that earlier. I would not have used a 2.100 valve either. No matter how you do it, unless you do way more welding than that head is worth, that port just won't support that big valve.

I made over 700 with W5 heads but it took a tunnel ram and alcohol to do it. Again, had I had to do it again, I could have made more knowing what I know now. It would take more welding and I'd damn sure use a smaller exhaust valve. Would even do that with a W2 head. Should have mentioned that earlier. I would not have used a 2.100 valve either. No matter how you do it, unless you do way more welding than that head is worth, that port just won't support that big valve.

The W5 i know of was my old car/ motor, but after i sold it. Guy who bought it has become a good friend.
He took what i had( 9 sec street strip car) and upgraded the motor. Lots stayed the same.
What it became was.
4.100 X block
4 inch stroke
Fully ported blue plug W5 heads with 2.08 valve
Jesel sportsmen rocker gear
276/282 ish 700 lift roller( aggressive lobes)
Brett miller modded Victor W2
TTI w5 headers
1100 gas dominator
Compstar 6.300 rods
Gas ported slugs( CP)
14.3 compression
In spite of the shelf headers, motor made 708 dyno’ed at Best Machine
Went on to run right at 140 @ 3220 on 002/003 leafs and 28 by 10 QTP bias tires
Went 135 at 3350 when i had it. Less compression, milder roller, no gas porting main differences. Maybe better East coast mineshaft air

The Victor I ported did ok I guess. I ran 9.80’s on pump gas BP93.
Hey Pittsburgh racer, would you share that 9.80 small block .pump gas combination. I am always looking for a better pump gas engine build. I have been running the same slow 7 .20 barracuda since 1989. I raised 4 children and barely had enough money to get to the dragstrip.they are all.grown feeding themselves. I always kept it simple and affordable.i like the pump gas. Dan spends $50 for a.can I spend $ 15 2 cans a weekend 1 can Friday night and another on saturday.$400 a month vs $120 he runs 6.80 vs 7.20. I'm ready to go alitte faster.and doing it on the.same.gas.is a big deal

Hey Pittsburgh racer, would you share that 9.80 small block .pump gas combination. I am always looking for a better pump gas engine build. I have been running the same slow 7 .20 barracuda since 1989. I raised 4 children and barely had enough money to get to the dragstrip.they are all.grown feeding themselves. I always kept it simple and affordable.i like the pump gas. Dan spends $50 for a.can I spend $ 15 2 cans a weekend 1 can Friday night and another on saturday.$400 a month vs $120 he runs 6.80 vs 7.20. I'm ready to go alitte faster.and doing it on the.same.gas.is a big deal

.030 over 360 with a K1 four inch stroke crank, K1 rods, Diamond flat top pistons, .520 lift Racer Brown solid lifter cam, W2 econo heads I ported, Victor intake I ported, 750 Holley carb

App 2850 pound car at the line, powerglide with 5400 stall convertor, 4.88 Dana, 1 7/8 headmen headers, shifted at 6700 rpm. I think that’s everything

Last edited:
The W5 i know of was my old car/ motor, but after i sold it. Guy who bought it has become a good friend.
He took what i had( 9 sec street strip car) and upgraded the motor. Lots stayed the same.
What it became was.
4.100 X block
4 inch stroke
TTI w5 headers
1100 gas dominator
Compstar 6.300 rods
Gas ported slugs( CP)
14.3 compression
Went 135 at 3350 when i had it. Less compression, milder roller, no gas porting main differences. Maybe better East coast mineshaft air
You have b
.030 over 360 with a K1 four inch stroke crank, K1 rods, Diamond flat top pistons, .520 lift Racer Brown solid lifter cam, W2 econo heads I ported, Victor intake I ported, 750 Holley carb

App 2850 pound car at the line, powerglide with 5400 stall convertor, 4.88 Dana, 1 7/8 headmen headers, shifted at 5600 rpm. I think that’s everything
That's almost the same 340 in my barracuda now.minus the 4" stroke 456 gear.and it's heavy.3280 7.09 in the 1/8 is the best.pass.the dart should do alitte better.340 4" stroke dome pistons w2 810 flowing 285@700 I didn't open em up afraid of cracks.600 roller 271@.50.holley strip dominator. Just got a AED.850 annular carb today.dart.is probably in the.2700 lb range .not quite ready but soon .thanks for the information.and.keep it green.

What it became was.
4.100 X block
4 inch stroke
TTI w5 headers
1100 gas dominator
Compstar 6.300 rods
Gas ported slugs( CP)
14.3 compression
That is a nice small block.

App 2850 pound car at the line, powerglide with 5400 stall convertor, 4.88 Dana, 1 7/8 headmen headers, shifted at 5600 rpm. I think that’s everything

That is impressive for a .520 cam ! Must have had a ton of duration. But your shift point was pretty low for big duration ?

What was the trick ?

That is impressive for a .520 cam ! Must have had a ton of duration. But your shift point was pretty low for big duration ?

What was the trick ?

Like I always preach it not about tricks and spending lots of money. Think your combo out before buying parts. When I port heads I spend extra time to get my under .500 lift numbers where I want them. When I talk to Jim he loves the fact I pretty much stick with solid lifter cams and when I give him my flow numbers they are always given at .050 not .100 lift (.350-.400-.450-.500 etc) Jim can trek his old grinds so the more good info he gets the more his skills show up. And yes he does love above average duration and sometimes split duration.

sorry guys I was laying in bed today and that shift rpm jumped into my head. That was quit awhile ago and I’m not sure what I was thinking about but my shift rpm wasn’t 5700 rpm. I went back and edited that post and put 6700. Sorry about that. I was kinda into my favorite show “Seal Team” and you know how us oldtimers are. Can’t chew gum and walk at the same time

sorry guys I was laying in bed today and that shift rpm jumped into my head. That was quit awhile ago and I’m not sure what I was thinking about but my shift rpm wasn’t 5700 rpm. I went back and edited that post and put 6700. Sorry about that. I was kinda into my favorite show “Seal Team” and you know how us oldtimers are. Can’t chew gum and walk at the same time
No need to apologise,thanks for sharing your knowledge of mopar with us.you and the other members that share your thoughts and expertise on these subjects are okay but me.this information is priceless in my opinion.years of making mistakes and milestones and learning from it.then pass it to other people younger and less experienced for the love of hobby is something you don't find in the world very often. Thanks again

Seal Team is my favorite show too

Seal Team is my favorite show too

I love this show and I’m glad it made the cut and came back again this year. Another show I loved was “shooter” and it went away several years ago. They tried to sell that series to another channel but nothing ever came if it. I may have to go online and watch some of the old episodes. Criminal Minds is another favorite.

No need to apologise,thanks for sharing your knowledge of mopar with us.you and the other members that share your thoughts and expertise on these subjects are okay but me.this information is priceless in my opinion.years of making mistakes and milestones and learning from it.then pass it to other people younger and less experienced for the love of hobby is something you don't find in the world very often. Thanks again

Thank you very much. I enjoy helping guys and trying to save them a few bucks so more Mopar guys can enjoy the sport that has kept me going all these years. So many guys get discouraged with their Mopars and say screw it I’m going to put an LS engine in my Mopar. Well guess what? They don’t call them junkyard engines for nothing. I love putting them on the Trailer. Lol

Like I always preach it not about tricks and spending lots of money. Think your combo out before buying parts. When I port heads I spend extra time to get my under .500 lift numbers where I want them. When I talk to Jim he loves the fact I pretty much stick with solid lifter cams and when I give him my flow numbers they are always given at .050 not .100 lift (.350-.400-.450-.500 etc) Jim can trek his old grinds so the more good info he gets the more his skills show up. And yes he does love above average duration and sometimes split duration.

People tend to discount Racer Brown cams but Jim has his stuff wired pretty tight. You can do a lot more with less if you spend your money correctly, and a custom cam is cheap money in my book.

Agree with YR
and .050 lift is very important
you are trying to match pull from headers and then piston demand
too much stalls the flow
not enough and you can't catch up
long rods make it easier
early opening cams designed for a short rod- fast piston pull away from TDC -are a mismatach for a MOPAR excerpt for a stock rod stroked B motor

436” X block. W2 heads, tunnel ram, 13.1 compression, 668 lift solid roller, 1-7/8” headers. It made 652 hp at 6900 rpm. 590 tq at 4800 rpm on the dyno that day in that room.

this is my current W2 headed small block,
1974 360 bottom end. Cast crank/stock rods
W2’s flowing 286 @ 650 lift. 2.05/1.60
Hughes solid cam
Victor W2 single plane
950 Holley
904 with 5200 rpm stall
8-3/4” with 4.86 gear
Ladder bar
14/32 slicks
2800 lbs
10.40 @ 128.56 mph
First pass off trailer. Definitely more in it

View attachment 1715391289

436” X block. W2 heads, tunnel ram, 13.1 compression, 668 lift solid roller, 1-7/8” headers. It made 652 hp at 6900 rpm. 590 tq at 4800 rpm on the dyno that day in that room.

Nice sounding combo.
Whats it run?

Agree with YR
and .050 lift is very important
you are trying to match pull from headers and then piston demand
too much stalls the flow
not enough and you can't catch up
long rods make it easier
early opening cams designed for a short rod- fast piston pull away from TDC -are a mismatach for a MOPAR excerpt for a stock rod stroked B motor
That's
Thank you very much. I enjoy helping guys and trying to save them a few bucks so more Mopar guys can enjoy the sport that has kept me going all these years. So many guys get discouraged with their Mopars and say screw it I’m going to put an LS engine in my Mopar. Well guess what? They don’t call them junkyard engines for nothing. I love putting them on the Trailer. Lol
I am with you on putting them on the trailer. I love putting the 5.90 cars coming to footbrake class on the trailer.im half way there before they turn it loose.

I'd love to see the dyno sheets but those numbers sound true to the bone. Right down to max HP at RPM.

That thing should run like a striped assed ape.

I'm also ASSuming that's the Holley Pro Dominator intake. If so, I'm jealous. Best as cast intake around.

You got me beat by 28 cubes , 2.5 points of compression and probably a few degrees of duration.

-
Back