How much money do you put into a car?

-
i will tell how much is to much when i am done cause its going to be way more than i thought, but when i die the keys will be in my pocket!

I put about $66 in it every 6 days...in gas....:-(
I need to run the 1/2 tank of 3.18 per gallon out of mine, it's 6 weeks old by know.. Road trip to check on small block would use it up :)

I love it, but I know I've got about 10K in it so far. Am I done? Nope, still got another 5ish to go before it's where I'd be fine not touching it. But then, at that point, I'd probably find something that I'd want to change on it. So it'll be a never ending cycle.

Right now, I want a new wiring harness, new torsion bars, new transmission (4 spd od or 5spd), new headliner/vinyl top, new stereo and speakers, Eaton truetrac LSD, a new intake, distributor, efi. yeah, I think that'll do for now.

Since January 1st 2013 I've spent 375. on my 64 Signet rebuilding it's front brakes and new bushings for it's front sway bar, got over 30 grand in it over 30 years. For my 90 Chevy p/u, I've spent 350. for it's WRX seats and had to fab brackets, 200. for music, 100. battery and will be installing a new LT1 to mate to it's t56 six speed which has been in it 2 years, got around 10 grand in it over 2 years. Just had my 69 GMC completely gone through and repaired of rust on and in the cab including all new rubber for doors, glass etc 1000. and a custom interior for another 500., straight six and 5 speed, got about 3500. into it over the past six months. Slammed 66 VW bug 300. since January and about 5000. since I bought it a year ago. 87 MR2 I bought this January needing an engine which cost my 1200. and got around 2800. into it.

I love vehicles and each one of mine drive entirely different than another one. My Signet is my attitude and my 90 p/u is my attitude adjuster, it's fast, corners like there's no tomorrow and is a total sleeper, it cruises 90mph @ 2000 rpm.

How much to put into a car?

Depends on what you plan to do to/with the car. If you're going to flip it, it's the old rule of thumb of not putting more into the car than you can reasonably expect to get out of it. Note: 1. Your labor is worthless. 2. Don't use Barrett-Jackson as a barometer of value of your car. Most of their cars have A-1 build quality, are relatively scarce, or have unusual provenance that appeals to a wide range of people. Example of last point: Linda Vaughn's '69 Chrysler 300 isn't going to draw as much interest from the general public as the same car owned by Meg Ryan or Steve McQueen.

If you're not going to try to flip the car, I agree with the sentiment others have expressed. As long as you don't take clothes off the back, roof over the head, or food from the mouth of anyone who depends on you, have at it. It's your car, do as you wish.

well i have been doing the jeep thing for to long but this is what the jeepers say, " Just Empty Every Pocket" but it more of love than any thing else. or should i say the money does not matter just as long as you are happy

You liked my test panel so much you use it as your Avatar nice! Thanks I love that color!

I'm at over $30K (and I'm still not done..), 80% of that is 90's dollars. If you had to replicate what I've done it will be much more. Depends on how much work the car needs and your goals.

How much do you spend on everything else? Housing? Recreation / vacations? We all have our own standards and circumstances. Some posters here are likely better off financially than others. Perhaps they are in a better position to spend more on this hobby. Maybe not.

My point is, be cautious not to spend more than you really should, no matter what your income. If you are a family man (or woman) take their feelings into consideration. Don't turn your hobby into a hardship for them. If you dont have 'disposable' income, you are taking too much money away from more important things and you will not be happy. If you dont have the time & place to stop at a certain point and pick it back up again when ready, you may not have the right circumstances. In my book, family comes first.

My Dart has been in the same condition as when i bought it 5-6 years ago. It is not until now that i feel i can spend the money to restore it.

My last 'hobby' was building a conversion bus (busnut.com) which drained my time and bank account. I dont feel very proud of the fact that I spent much more than I should have. The Dart project will be a 'cake walk' in comparison!

Why keep track, it will only depress you. If I go thru with my original plan of a large cube, EFI crossram 2G HEMI it will be a lot more than I will be comfortable with.....

Half as much as I need to in order to make it really nice.
Twice as much I have to spend.
Ten times what it is really worth.
Walking into the shop and seeing a car that had "crush in 30 days" on the window and looking at my Dad grinning ear to ear looking at the progress...PRICELESS!

Attachments

• 71 B5Charger as Bought.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 71 Charger March 1, 2013.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 114
Depends on the car, is it an original high performance model,? If so i'd do what it takes to restore it. If its a run of the mill slant or 318 car its a blank slate to do what you want with it. restore it, hotrod it, make a tribute car, drag car. The possibilities are endless.

My 67 notch started life as a slant 3 speed on the tree with bench seat, and no other options except a factory vacuum gage and trip odometer. It is also battered to hell. Is it worth restoring? Hell no. Im modifying it to my liking, and enjoying it. Its not a formula S car or a big block car so who cares. Im making nice fun to drive car. I may not even paint it and leave it in gray primer.

Just my .02
Matt

The feeling I have is that it's up to the owner what they want to spend BUT the issue I have is when the time comes to sell is the :butthead: cruise night "appraiser" that says your out of your mind when you place a value on the car trying to get back SOME of your investment.:violent1:

sooo..... lets see.... $35,000 divided over 24 years..lets see now... that only comes to $1458.33 a year for a hobby. Now if I smoked and averaged $5.00 for a pack a day that would be $1825.00 a year. So for not smoking I saved $366.67 dollars a year and am healthier for it and have a pretty awesome car.
Also... not a dime ever came out of my paycheck to go into my car. All was done with selling parts, working side jobs, etc.. for "play money" hence the 24 years !!! lol... Hey....its all part of the fun !

-RPM

RPM!

You are so right. I started to sum up all the money in my restoration and I gave up after I passed USD..........! I don't care! I do this restoration for myself. Not for someone else!!

:burnout::burnout:

Heres the way I roll....

Bought a 72 Harley Sportster in crates for $600...spent a winter putting it together and a few $$ on parts at the swap meets. Traded the Harley for a 64 Belvedere...pulled the drivetrain and installed a 440 I built myself. Traded that for a 67 GTX that needed an engine rebuild and paint job. Sold the 6pak intake and carbs that came on it for $800 and rebuilt the motor, and paid a buddy $400 to paint it and I bought the paint. Total investment to date, not including wear parts and the rims... about $3500!!

How much do I spend on cars?? As much as I need to but as little as I have to!!! Geof

Sweet ride and a great story. That's the way it should be!!

Half as much as I need to in order to make it really nice.
Twice as much I have to spend.
Ten times what it is really worth.
Walking into the shop and seeing a car that had "crush in 30 days" on the window and looking at my Dad grinning ear to ear looking at the progress...PRICELESS!

Thats a nice looking project you got there!!! Nice save too!!

-
Back