How much to cut off 8 3/4

-

swest

Reaction score
I am getting and 8 3/4 built and wondering how much is a tipical 8 3/4 A body housing shortened by each side for a 72 dodge dart mini tubbed and inboard leafs, my center to center pin is 34 7/8.

I will be installing 15x10's but no rim purchased yet, i plan to buy when its all done.

My guess was 2 inch each side so id be dealing with about 5.5 inch backspace with 15 x10.

Any help woudl be great!

I wouldn't narrow an a body 8 3/4 housing.
I would find a c body housing for cheap and do that one.
The a body housing is worth a lot more and should be easy to sell. You could pay for the narrowing costs and the c body housing with the cash you make on selling the a body one.
Just a thought.....

I am getting and 8 3/4 built (new housing tube and ends) Trust me if I had a stock A body housing id sell it for a billion dollars lol.

Anybody have any input on my question, cheers! :)

Yes, don't cut anything until you get the wheels and tires you plan on running. Put them in the wells and measure so you know exactly what you need. If you are pushing the limits of the wells, 1/2 inch difference in backspace can make a huge change in fit.

I've got a spreadsheet that figures out housing/axle lengths based on overall width and brakes. If you want a copy, shoot me a pm.

Im shooting for a common 5 to 5.5 inch backspace. Im building a driver restoration and rims come in August when more funds arrive after paint. But i need to get an axle out under the car to drive. I have no idea what rim i want but im sure ill be safe with 5 to 5.5 inch backspace with 15x10 as they are very common in LBP wheels. I want to get the axle under there and then figure out what backspace i need and order rims then with the mountain of catalogues of rims in 100's of different backspacing. man its not gonna be easy choosing lol

Do you plan on putting drum or disc brakes on? If you go with disc brakes, you will have to make sure the rim will clear the brake caliber. I had to order a different wheels than I wanted because they would rub. Mine wheels are 4.5 back spacing. so you could narrow the axle where you want it.

I plan on going drum. Here is my mind map:

Stock rear most run 7.5" backspacing on a 15X10

So I need 2 inches of the total length on each side (wheel mount to wheel mount) to run 5.5”backspacing

Figured it out based on another members same set up as well. Thanks everyone.

Looks like 2.25 inchs off each end (.25 to compensate for the little xtra from BBP axles and green bearings) will get me at 5.5 inch backspace with 15x10.

Or better said Total A body with stock DRUM TO DRUM (Wheel Mounting Surface) is 57 1/8" or so. I want 53 1/8 Drum to Drum on new rear.

57.125inch stock minus 2.25inch on each side plus.25 inchs for BBP axles and bearings = 53.125. My original 7.5 inch backspaced wheel on 15x10 sbp can now be 5.5 on BBP.

Wow i need a new hobby. :) lol lol

You can leave the rear end untouched and use the 7.5" back space in most cases.
Measure it out, it should fit, most do. This will save you some money spent on the rear end, unless you really want that deep dish look. Even then the deep dish look is not that deep on a 10" rim.

BUT if you are doing this from scratch and are having one built, then do what crackedback said.

onig

Your on the right track,here,s what I did..
I took a C-body rear and had it narrowed to 46 5/8 inches(6 inches shorter than A-body)basically 3 inches shorter each side.This way I can run a 15x10 rim with 4 1/2 back spacing.I went 1 step further and run a 15x12 inch rim with 5 1/2 back spacing with a 29 inch slick.I,m guessing you,ve done a minitubb?

Yes mini tub and relocated springs, thanks for the info Prettybludart you have confirmed that im on the right track with your calculations. :) 15x12 hey!!! Well no wonder your twisting axles lol!! DAM! must look nice!

On the 15x10 and 15x12 rims, what size tire did you mount, how tall and how wide.
thanks
Ray

I had my Strange 60 built 4 inches narrower on each end (8 total). That allowed me to run 3.5 inch BS on my 15x10 wheels. Fit like a glove.

Tires015Medium.jpg

Perfect. rear is being built and all my calculation in relations to your examples should come out perfect.

Thanks Everyone!

-
Back