How much weight gain from adding a Dana and roll cage.

-
Seems like with all the fab 9 producers and part availability that might be why people choose the 9 over dana
Aftermarket support is part of it. You can bet if the demand for Dana parts was equal to the 9" stuff there would equal parts available. These guys are chasing numbers, if the Dana gave them an advantage, that's what they'd be running. That alone tells me that the higher friction of the 9" doesn't equate to slower et's on the track.

Aftermarket support is part of it. You can bet if the demand for Dana parts was equal to the 9" stuff there would equal parts available. These guys are chasing numbers, if the Dana gave them an advantage, that's what they'd be running. That alone tells me that the higher friction of the 9" doesn't equate to slower et's on the track.
Probably right or it's a push, weight vs power to spin it.

I doubt that. Gear selection is one issue. The other is the copy cat fallacy. That’s when guys buy a 9 or use an 8.75 because they are going to have 2 or 3 third members and they are going to change them out. Almost never happens.

Can you define "much more"? One of the car mags did an article years ago and yes, the Dana and 12 bolt needed less torque than the 9". But, if it was a substantial amount, you can bet the guys running the fast heads up stuff would be running Danas and 12 bolts and the aftermarket support for them would be there too.
I believe if you making gear changes all the time, then the 60 and 12 bolt don't make as much sense, and they make so much stuff for the 9 inch now, alum reinforced cases, 40 spine axels and whatever gear ratio you can think of.

A lot of the weight in aDana is the carrier. a spool makes them much lighter. The truck Dana in my caris 45" wide. With Ladder bar shock, and wheelie bar mounts it was 165lbs. chrome moly weighs no less than dom or elw. It's what thickness you can use. The thickest tubing required in a CM cage is .083", dom is .120", elw must be .134" to pass cert. CM must be tig welded.
Doug

I have a rough estimate of my cage and frame weight. I came up with 262 pounds.
That's a 14 point cage with a dash bar and rocker bars.
Cage & frame materials consist of .120 wall 2 by 3 and 2 by 4.
.134 wall 1-5/8 mild steel.
6 by 6 .125 plates × 10

-
Back