How not to ship a car...

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
lol, check out 10:26..."we lost another one..."
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK-NtBJWblA#t=596"]SHIPS IN STORM - INCREDIBLE VIDEO - YouTube[/ame]

Why these were not chained down....? Thats a demolition derby on deck.

I watched the entire video from the start. I'll tell ya sumthin, you gotta have a lot of respect for the ocean. When you see waves crashing over the bow of a 90 foot ship, or a cruise ship bobbing around like a cork, you're at the mercy of the captain, better hope he is an experienced veteran on the ocean.

Yeah you don't mess with the ocean. It'll kill the **** out of you.

Reminds me of Typhoon evasions when I was in the Navy.................

Pretty sure when it was over there was nothing on deck that couldn't be cleaned up with a push broom...

Reminds me of Typhoon evasions when I was in the Navy.................

Yeah, I disappointed a lot of guys when I was a newbie in my shop. When I first got to the USS Abraham Lincoln, CVN-72, all the guys that had been there for a while were telling me that when we got out to blue water I was gonna turn green. Never happened. I had the time of my life! Even when we dodged a typhoon in the Indian Ocean coming back from WESTPAC in 95.

But you wanna talk about rough seas... Where the Pacific Ocean hits the Straights of Juan de Fuca at the entrance to Puget Sound between Washington State and British Columbia, we got some gnarly waves up there. Supposedly the USS Carl Vinson, CVN-70, took a rogue wave to her port (left) side and cracked her hull 60 feet above the waterline and washed away the radome on a CIWS mount 20 feet higher.

Here's a short video of the USS Kitty Hawk, CV-63, fighting some pretty big waves back in 2008. This is what is known as "green water over the bow". For those who don't know, the bow of a supercarrier is around 80-90 feet above the surface of a calm sea.

[ame]http://youtu.be/k1graEzmeRU[/ame]

The ocean can be REALLY scary!

I was on the USS Tarawa (LHA-1) in 89 during a WESTPAC and we had to go right through a typhoon to get to Hawaii to mount up for Panama that was going down. We were condition Zulu the entire 24 hours powering through that storm (full watertite condition). We had waves reportedly cresting over the flight deck, thats like 5 stories tall. All I know is there were some sick Marines below decks, hot and stuffy didn't help one bit. Our fellow ship USS Anchorage cracked a bulkhead during that storm too. They were an LST that had a flat bottom so they were rolling something awful, one of the guys in tracks told me they recorded a 50 degree roll while they were looking at their gauges. No thanks!

...one of the guys in tracks told me they recorded a 50 degree roll while they were looking at their gauges. No thanks!

It's always a little nut-wrenching when you hear someone from WAAAAY up in officer's country (up in the O-sh*t decks) say they looked out a porthole and saw nothing but water and no horizon. Those kind of rolls would scare the piss outta me!

Large ocean waves are not a problem underwater usually. I have been under many hurricanes in the Atlantic. Under a category 5, under the eye, we took only 12 degree rolls, so slow that it felt like mom was rockin' us to sleep. This was at 400 feet deep though. I did not understand why we didn't bother going more than twice that deep.

South of Africa, the Fast Attack (smaller) submarines can get slammed so hard that they can literally go from periscope depth to test depth and back in brief moments. There are few things in life less scary.

Mom had that problem once when she took off in her Piper Cherokee and ended up in a dust-devil mini-tornado. She was slammed back and forth as much as 800 feet up and down in altitude, but started out only a little bit above 1000 feet to begin with.

At PD (periscope depth, very shallow) the USS Pennsylvania {18,750 tons, 562 feet steel tube four stories tall in the center, 6 stories with the sail [vertical fin]} was caught by a rogue wave.

An officer and an enlisted man were at the top of the sail, tied down to prevent from being washed overboard {tied down to 18,750 tons}. They had to hold their breathe for nearly 3 minutes until until the Pennsylvania managed to get back to the surface.

Straight down the sail on a Trident submarine is the control room where the OfficerOnDeck & the people that coordinate the sub's movement all operate.

A column of water over 3 feet wide poured down the sail, for nearly 3 minutes. This begins to flood and SINK your submarine. A junior sailor driving the boat pulled 'the chicken switches' which allow us to emergency blow from depths deeper than test depth.

This maxed out the buoyancy of the Pennsylvania and sent her to the surface fast enough to save the two submariners topside on the sail.

Those two medically quit submarine service after that, scarred/scared for life.

WTF were they doing up there, aircraft watch? Coming off the Anchorage in a track is not real fun either for a land lubber. The track drives off the ramp and goes under water for about 6-10 seconds, hope the hatches are sealed! Then it bobs back to the surface and starts chugging to the beach, the Marines inside are choking on diesel fumes and puking in the sea sick bags the track crew mandates we carry so they dont have to clean it up. I tell you we wouldn't care if we were landing on Omaha Beach, we wanted out of that coffin as soon as we beached! We were doing Zodiac boat maneuvers off the same LST (the rear opens and floods a little to let boats launch) and on our turn to get recovered, we were full throttle toward the stern ramp when the bow takes a dip, the stern shoots up and we see the freakin screws churning the water! Thank God the stern came down just as fast right as we threw the rope in and they pulled us onto the ramp. Scary stuff! Good sea stories....

People make fun of me for not wanting to go on cruises. I've turned two free ones down in my life, already.

well it certainly explains the price difference between "Drive on " and "Container" shipping my car to Europe , guess maybe I better spring for the container eh!

-
Back