How Rare? 1976 Dart Lite

-

celcius232

Reaction score
I came across a 1976 Dart Lite, 225,4-speed OD, TX3 black with the dark red interior. It also has the Dart Decorator Package A62 (Boca Raton upholstery F1E7). Any idea how many Dart Lites were manufactured--I have read in other posts that 1500 were produced. I think that I have to rescue it.

A 4 spd for a slant engine sounds rare, but I know nothing, especially about 1976. If an aluminum case that would be desireable regardless. It would be neat to fool w/ a Dart Lite to push for mileage. I think adding MPFI, wideband O2, and more modern ignition (knock sensor feedback), one could get 35 mpg hwy w/ a slant.

Pretty rare. Aluminum intake, aluminum bumper braces (pinched in place, rather than spot welded), among other equipment mods. The aluminum parts were able to shave 150 pounds off the total weight, and the 4 speed overdrive manual was in fact in an aluminum case. They even had a lighter engine block. Dodge made these in honor of America's 200th birthday, and so did Plymouth (Feather Duster). Rescue it! Less than 1,000 were produced

Just a few corrections.....There was a "Spirit of '76" option with special decals to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the USA. Yours may not have that, but check the option plate. The aluminum bumper reinforcements inside the bumper were bolted together. The hood had the aluminum bracing crimped to the steel hood. The hood requires lower tension hood springs. Standard springs for a steel hood will make it hard to close and may kink it. The trunk underside appears to have been glued somehow. Some may have come through with all=steel trunk lids (shortage?) because I went to buy a hood/trunk combo that the owner swore it came off the same car and the paint matched. The color combo sounds very unusual and may be rare on those cars.

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2012/04/01/hmn_feature12.html

http://www.foundationpc.com/press/press76a.html

I had an original feather duster, It had an all steel trunk lid. I would guess most were 4 spd od. my car was an auto which defies the reason to make them.

cool cars, rae yes, but no one seems to get too excited bout them!?

I think that car is very cool. You can't go by what other thing. The lite cars were said to get 36 mpg. Super cool

It's pretty dang rare. They made more Feather Dusters, I believe. Also, they made less of each with the 4 speed.

As mentioned, I too think it would be interesting to see how economical you could make one go on the highway with modern mods as mentioned. I thought that Chrysler used some tweaks to the EGR system to extend total timing along with a Feather-Lite model only one barrel carb. The old EPA mileage rating document from 1976 did not identify the Feather-Lite models and showed the 225 manual trans Dart and Duster models to get 23 mpg highway. I wonder if some additional lightening and engine tweaks god get this car into the high 30s fuel economy.

.............A guy really really has to wonder, if that amount of weight, 'specially with a slant, really had all that much effect on mileage............

I came across a 1976 Dart Lite, 225,4-speed OD, TX3 black with the dark red interior. It also has the Dart Decorator Package A62 (Boca Raton upholstery F1E7). Any idea how many Dart Lites were manufactured--I have read in other posts that 1500 were produced. I think that I have to rescue it.

My grandpa gave me a 76 dart lite as my 1st car. Same slant 6 and 4-speed OD. Had a black vinyl roof. Car was maroon. Sold it like an idiot when I was 22.
Are you interested in selling?

Not just the weight but the timing and lean burn tune on the carb. I had a 71 Sebring with 318 auto and highway gears that could get well over 20mpg on a trip from Washington to California at interstate speeds. A 6 a body with overdrive and the right tune at the 55 mph they used to do the mileage test on I believe could easily be in the 30s.

Rare and desireable are not the same thing. It's cool, I think it's reasonably rare, and if it was clean i'd love to have it. But it won't ever be worth "a lot". So be aware of that when you're considering a restoration or it's in project condition.

Won't ever be worth a lot. I'm not so sure of that. Make it perfect original and it could be worth a lot to someone

I was asked if my Duster was a "Feather Duster" the other day. So people know they were out there and like so many other things, they'll get their day.
If you can get it right, and can afford it, do it.

I have had dusters with the 4 speed OD and a GOOd engine get 30mpg tooling along about 55. my feather duster got 26 with the AT about same speed.
everytime I tell these mileage figures, I get the "
BS" remarks.

I had a feather on here for sale year or so ago, Alabama car, straight, what rust there was in floors and rear qtr had been patched, interior there but needed restored. paint old and faded but ( original)...... new exhaust, new gas tank etc. couldn't get any lookers on here at $2500. I traded it off for something I was more interested in.

one mans diamond is another mans turd????? LOL

All Lite aluminum parts are there, interior is roached, will need a lot of cosmetics, poor 20 year old bondo repair behind rear wheels, surface rust in floor pans and maybe some small holes, mostly original paint, a few dents, runs and drives. Interesting car, but a bit of a project and interior such a door panels and seat upholstery would be big $$ or unobtanium. Likely not worth an original restoration, but could be an interesting "ecomod" for crazy mpg experiments?

Attachments

• DSC03639.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC03646.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC03650.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 358
-
Back