How rare is a GA4 paint code demon?

-

luis9995

Reaction score
i recently purchased a 72 demon 340 car 4spd and it has a GA4 light gunmetal metallic paint color from the factory. The previous owner passed away but the wife found papers on the car from when he purchased it a build sheet and the missing fender tag. I bought it to restore to any color and thouhtit was a light blue. But now that I read the description of the car fromrhe paper works when he purchased it. Says it was made in July 28 and could be the last 340 demon built. Also factory ordered and special paint. Was wondering how rare that paint code is especially on a 340 demon? Production numbers? I'm thinking this could be a one of one car because of the big things like a 340 demon 4 spd car with light gunmetal metallic factory paint and was ordered with heater delete. It has other rare options but I believe those are the rarest to mention to possibly make it a 1 of 1? I'm sure it won't raise the value. Just would make it a cool car to have with those facts if anyone knows the production numbers for at least the engine trans and paint ? Let me know. Never heard of that paint code until I bought the car and couldn't find much on it thanks

GA4 was available for the entire 1972 model year & would not have been a special order color.

What are the Y codes on the broadcast sheet?

Was the original buyer in Hawaii or possibly Mexico?

GA4 was available for the entire 1972 model year & would not have been a special order color.

What are the Y codes on the broadcast sheet?

Was the original buyer in Hawaii or possibly Mexico?

What I meant was it was ordered with the options it has from the dealer. Not one did the lot but ordered with the options it has.

The Y codes on the fender tag will identify if it was a car ordered by the dealer as floor stock, or whether it was ordered by a customer.

My guess is it was a customer order, because of the heater delete.

Have you not read the responses to your other post?

There is no way to know if it was the last '72 340 Demon built. Production continued after that date in '72, and you'd have to have the numbers of those cars. Except, those records aren't available. So you'd literally have to track down the other cars, if they still exist. And not finding any doesn't necessarily mean yours was the last one built.

There is no record of how many 340 cars were painted GA4. That color typically was about 2% of production numbers, that's what it was for the Dusters. But notice, that's not broken down into 340 cars. And the information isn't readily available for the Dodge's. This is from Alaskan_TA's website, and has the '72 Plymouth data. But as you can see, it isn't broken down like you need it to be in order to show a "1 of whatever" car. Heck it isn't even broken down into just Dusters, it includes Valiants. And you can bet that the numbers didn't look exactly like this for 340 Demon's, you'd expect more "high impact" paint schemes.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...hAdvanceInfo/73_Plymouth_advance_Info0012.jpg
73_Plymouth_advance_Info0012.jpg

There is some high impact paint % numbers for the '72 Demon 340's, but even that's incomplete
1972 demon 340: hemi orange=15.2% , lemon twist=10.4%

The rest of that info is here High Impact Color Production % #'s

The bottom line is though that you aren't going to be able to prove it's a 1 of anything. A '72 Demon 340 4 speed is pretty rare. So is the GA4 paint code. So yeah, the car is "rare". But that's the best you're going to do.

These are the production numbers I've seen for '72 Demon's. No mention of auto vs manual break down, or 3 or 4 speed break down.

1972 Demon
Fastback Coupe: 39,880
U.S 340 Fastback Coupe: 8,700
Total 1972 Demons: 48,580

Last edited:
Need a few pics.

I don't think the color was popular at the time, I assume that as I see very few in Winchester Gray and I've been looking for ages. Green certainly was popular, lol.

f9cefb0b403cd39a4c036bd2d4fa290c--demons-dodge-dart.jpg

Need a few pics.

I don't think the color was popular at the time, I assume that as I see very few in Winchester Gray and I've been looking for ages. Green certainly was popular, lol.

It was more popular than black! (TX9). But yeah, most make/model break downs by percentage show GA4 was usually only 2 to 2.5% of total production. My '71 Satellite Sebring Plus is a GA4 car.

The Y codes on the fender tag will identify if it was a car ordered by the dealer as floor stock, or whether it was ordered by a customer.

Actually, no.

Not all tags have Y codes showing ordered or not.

Y14 would indicate that a deposit was put down at time of order. This deposit could have been made by a customer at a dealership or the dealership ordering its own stock. (Y14 should not be confused with Special Order which is Y39)

Y16 indicates an order initiated by Chrysler to be shipped out to a dealership later to be determined in the hope it would sell.

Some car invoices show Y14 & Y16, in these cases the dealership maintained a balance with Chrysler to offset the prices of the cars sent to them for lot stock.

That's weird the second one is my exact car!!! Same spray paint looking thing on the hood and everything! Every detail from the stripes interior, marker lights is the same.

View attachment 1715119371

I thought it might be based on the description. You should contact that website and have the ad removed. Sometimes 3rd party vendors like that will pull info off of the internet to boost their traffic, I had to contact one about my Satellite long after I had purchased it.

Here's another one. This one's an auto, but a '72 340 Demon in GA4...
1972 Dodge Demon 340 By Raul Garza - Update | Mopars Of The Month

I also did add the heater delete option for making it a one of one. Didn't say the color and engine with trans made it a one of one.

You aren't listening. You'll never be able to prove it's the only one optioned like that. The records you would need to prove it do not exist. Same for the last '72 340 Demon. There is no definitive proof, because the records no longer exist.

As far as 'one of one' claims go, the normal question is;

Do you have any evidence to support the claim?

The answer I usually hear is "No."

Because proving it is impossible.

Wow. I clicked on that ad & saw this;

1972 Dodge Demon 340 - Original 1972 Demon 340 4-speed factory winchester grey with deluxe white interior, white top, and white stripes. Extremely rare color combo. It is an original California car that was parked in the 80's and has the number matching motor and a build sheet. The car could be one of the very last 340 Demons built as it was built on the last Friday of July, 1972; which is two weeks after production stopped. The tranny and shifter are missing but is complete other wise. A very solid and straight Demon with original paint and interior and is a very good foundation for a restoration project. It would be one of a kind at any show with these options and colors.

That is pretty silly. How could it have been built if production had stopped?

People make stuff up to sell cars at times.

Wow. I clicked on that ad & saw this;

That is pretty silly. How could it have been built if production had stopped?

People make stuff up to sell cars at times.

Exactly. People make up stuff all the time, and all of that "one of whatever" nonsense is Barrett-Jackson disease. It's definitely rare, but you can't prove it's one of one, or the last '72 340. Even if it had the very last scheduled production date that doesn't mean it was actually built last.

Car in the ad also shows heater controls?

Link to photo - http://www.ssmoparmuscle.com/forsale/72demongrey/72demongrey6.jpg
72demongrey6.jpg

Yeah, those are heater controls. And you can see the heater box under the dash. And then there's what's left of the defrost tube hanging in there too. If that's a heater delete car someone added a whole lot of stuff...

Also looks like it has a blower motor, heater core and the strap for the heater hoses..
72demongrey10.jpg

Now I have to wonder.......

Is it actually the same car or did it have a broadcast sheet in it for a different car that does indicate heater delete?

-
Back