How rare is this car?

-

Cudapete

Reaction score
My dad just picked up a 67 dart GT 273 4bbl for a really good price,Thats been in storage since 1983 complete, original and in pretty decent shape other than 1 repaint from red to green in 1973ish. tag is there and i'm pretty certain im gonna find a build sheet. I ran the Vin and checked the tag and its the real deal, my question is how rare is this car does anyone have any production numbers or a way for me to research how rare this car is? I basically only see the dart gt in books and magazines the few gt 273"s i have seen are more the 65's. The car is cool so no matter what its getting the full on resto we're just curious. thanks

Attachments

• DSCN1441 resized.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 622
  • DSCN1442 2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 648
  • DSCN1443 2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 632
  • DSCN1444 2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 631
  • DSCN1446 2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 626
  • DSCN1447 2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 630
Looks like a great car. Originally red? It would look great that color. How much ?

My Galen Govier book says they made 2645 273-4 Dart GT's Of that number,947 were 4 speeds and 1698 were automatics. These totals combine hardtops and convertibles.

Thanks, He started @ $6000 originally, we picked it up for a lot less than the asking price, runs and drives pretty awsome but once I put the finishing touches on my 68 gts I'm going to do a complete ground up resto on it ,It will be going back to the original QQ1 and be completely restored stock. Its my dads purchase but I get to do the dirty work! lol

Good for you guys. Keep us posted on the progress. toolman

nice find...if you go back to the original red with the black top and interior,it will look really nice.

I ran into a fellow at a local cruise night a few weeks ago that has a similar car (67 GT with the 273-4) that was asking a similar price.His was silver/blue and apparently still has the original paint so I might take a look at it sometime.

Cool find !

'67 Darts are slathered with one-year-only parts / combinations :

- Last year for the dreaded plastic windshield and backlight trim
- Last year for the v.i.n. to be placed (riveted) to the lower 'A' pillar
( also last year for numeric plant codes )
- Last year for the hi-po 273 ( peep on that single exhaust ! If it's intact , leave it be as it's exclusive to the '67 model ; '65 was unique ; '66 was similar to '67 but I *think* it's shorter in length )

I've always liked the '67 ; I have since I saw the super rare ( 11 produced , iirc ) '67 GT+S 383 convert I saw in my hometown back in the mid-80's . It was the first '67 I can remember ever seeing !

It's good to see that your '67 is largely untouched ( nice "Bubble Top" radiator ! ) , as many of those parts are elusive :burnout:

Toolman thanks for the production figures, just shy of 1700 I'd say that makes it kind of a rare car.
67 convt this car is getting pretty much a bone stock restoration and will be the factory QQ1
thanks super dart I will post pics of the resto as i go but I wont be starting on it til next spring or so
LH23H2R I'm familiar with the one year only stuff I owned a 67 myself for a short bit and have been helping a friend restore his 67 gts 383, my dad had a 67 gts 383 back in 69 and said they were a pain to find stuff for then! all the crazy hard to find stuff on this car is there and in good shape,it does have the oversized single and tip and it will be staying just that way, the back window must have been changed and converted because it has 68/9 trim and I plan to convert the front as well.

Cool find !

'67 Darts are slathered with one-year-only parts / combinations :

- Last year for the dreaded plastic windshield and backlight trim
- Last year for the v.i.n. to be placed (riveted) to the lower 'A' pillar
( also last year for numeric plant codes )
- Last year for the hi-po 273 ( peep on that single exhaust ! If it's intact , leave it be as it's exclusive to the '67 model ; '65 was unique ; '66 was similar to '67 but I *think* it's shorter in length )

I've always liked the '67 ; I have since I saw the super rare ( 11 produced , iirc ) '67 GT+S 383 convert I saw in my hometown back in the mid-80's . It was the first '67 I can remember ever seeing !

It's good to see that your '67 is largely untouched ( nice "Bubble Top" radiator ! ) , as many of those parts are elusive :burnout:

Hmmmm........Backlight Trim ?

Nice because with the production numbers there were enough 273 cars made but not many 273 commandos Is that an 8 3/4 rear ?
very nice find and as you know finding a complete car with all its accessories is hard to find now and to find the parts individually is pricey!
good going and I will wait for the thread of its restoration..:happy1:
thanks for sharing :cheers:

Yep, of the 1698 automatic cars who knows how many were hardtops and how many were verts. Those numbers aren't known. Yours is probably one of a thousand I would guess.

Looks like the front windshield trim is missing. Not to degrade your car but the 67 cuda (like mine) had the plastic trim. Then they switched to stainless in 68. I have never seen a 67 cuda that had the plastic trim front and back that was 100%. There is always something missing or no trim whats so ever. You might want to start looking for 68 stainless trim for it. Just a heads up.

Great car and great project!

Nice find but I prefer Yellow:) . Mine has the stainless windshield trim already but someone did a crap job rebuilding my 273 so have it out now and am putting in a 360.
Currently stripping engine compartment and going to paint back to yellow. Have a set of
small bolt 14" rally wheels for yours if your interested - I went to the LBP Rallies when
I switched the from drums over to 73 disc.

440 outlaw: yes the car will be going back to QQ1 red
mullinax: yes the trim is missing on the windshield and some conveterd the rear already so already planned on a 68/9 swap
67 signet: Strangely the VIN and tag confirmed its a real GT 273 4bbl but has a 7 1/4 rearend! I doubt with how untouched this car is that rear has been pirated so Im going to assume it was ordered this way, Im gonna check the tag and hopefully theres a build sheet to confirm this.
Berlins I might be interested in them, how much you lookin to get for em?

Strangely the VIN and tag confirmed its a real GT 273 4bbl but has a 7 1/4 rearend!

Even V8-powered Darts (et al.) were plagued with that 100% worthless 7 1/4" piece of 5H1T ; and , obviously , the 273 Four Barrel cars were no exception .
Some were upgraded after 2 days of use when these 7 1/4's grenaded under normal use ; but , oddly , the Sure Grip-equipped versions were actually somewhat durable .

The REAL rear , the 8 3/4 , was standard in 383-powered '67 Darts / Barracudas , with *some* 273's being built with 'em .
By '68 and the intro of the 340 , more A-Body 8 3/4's were being produced .

What really chided me was seeing Slant Six Darts with the good rear , while my 318 dart got nailed with that dog **** 7 1/4 growling , howling , grinding junk !

You don't think I harbour any convicted hatred for the 7 1/4 , do ya ?

Even V8-powered Darts (et al.) were plagued with that 100% worthless 7 1/4" piece of 5H1T ; and , obviously , the 273 Four Barrel cars were no exception .
Some were upgraded after 2 days of use when these 7 1/4's grenaded under normal use ; but , oddly , the Sure Grip-equipped versions were actually somewhat durable .

The REAL rear , the 8 3/4 , was standard in 383-powered '67 Darts / Barracudas , with *some* 273's being built with 'em .
By '68 and the intro of the 340 , more A-Body 8 3/4's were being produced .

What really chided me was seeing Slant Six Darts with the good rear , while my 318 dart got nailed with that dog **** 7 1/4 growling , howling , grinding junk !

You don't think I harbour any convicted hatred for the 7 1/4 , do ya ?

The 7 1/4 rear in my '67 still hasn't exploded since the day it was put in when the car was being made in the factory. I'm quite surprised even :D

mine has the 8 3/4 with 3.23 posi - think that's one of the items listed on your tag when you run the numbers -- actually, first thing I did when I went to look at mine was to look at the rear end, that and the tinted glass got me to buy mine.

For '65 GT's like mine, most were 2 BBL. I expect the same for '67. With a 4 BBL, you probably have the high-compression dome-top pistons - the "Commando" or "Hi-Po" engine. I understand no way to be sure externally, you must either remove the heads or probe thru a spark plug hole (bore-scope or such). If you ever change the cam, keep in mind that the Commando cam had more lift than the standard engine, but still fairly mild by today's standards.

-
Back