How reliable is Desktop Dyno?

-

MB43

Reaction score
I've used Desktop Dyno/Drag in the past, and it's usually pretty much spot on, it comes up with the right 1/4 mile and MPH times based on the engine parameters I've put in.

Prior to doing any work this year, Desktop Dyno says that my engine was making 386 HP @ 5500 RPM and 405 TQ @ 4500 RPM.

Now I'm having some head work done and am changing to a single plane intake. Based on flow numbers that I've gotten Desktop Dyno says it'll be making 460 HP @ 6000, 438 TQ @ 5000 RPM.

Does that sound possible? A gain of almost 80 HP?

I,ve used desktop dyno for years and have found the numbers to be fairly acurate, as long as your truthful with your input. My brother in laws drag truck ran 10.40 @ 125 MPH and when we entered the numbers it came to 10.42 @ 126 MPH.
We did this with several of our friends cars and they all came in fairly close. I think it is a good measuring stick to use as long as you can get all the correct info to put in.

Gary

I think the key is having head flow numbers that are accurate. Other wise its a good way to map trends with different changes but I would expect the out puts to be very accurate.

I think the key is having head flow numbers that are accurate. Other wise its a good way to map trends with different changes but I would expect the out puts to be very accurate.

I've got accurate flow numbers, from before and after the head work was done. Aside from that, the only parameters that were changed were the intake and the compression (heads were milled a little more). I'm just very surprised at what the result was with the newer flow numbers... I guess it's possible if my heads were in poor shape beforehand?

460 does sound a bit high especially at only 6000rpms. I bet BJR could give you an idea on how much its going to make if he did the heads.

I would say closer to 425hp

460 does sound a bit high especially at only 6000rpms. I bet BJR could give you an idea on how much its going to make if he did the heads.

I would say closer to 425hp

I spoke (e-mailed, actually) Bobby about this and he did his own calculation and came up with a slightly higher net HP rating. Assuming I lose 20% from the flywheel to the wheels, the Desktop Dyno number would be 368 HP, Bobby calculated 371 HP.

The Desktop Drag estimate, using the same car and the motor putting out this power was pretty damn impressive compared to what it ran last year, I'm hoping that it translates into the real world...

I've used it pretty successfully also. Like Adam said you just got to know the head flow numbers. I can see getting an 80 hp boost if you get the heads flowing quite a bit better and go from a dual plane to a single plane intake. Just my home port job on my heads got me an extra 45 hp everything else the same. If you confirmed the figures with Bobby and he agreed I'd say expect it to be a beast.

It does not take weight into account. always thought it was probably a little high. has any one compared to a real dyno?

Where do you buy one of these programs and which one would you guys recommend?

It does not take weight into account. always thought it was probably a little high. has any one compared to a real dyno?

Are you talking the reciprocating assy. weight? If so I always wondered about that too.

I've seen 2 articles in magazines that tested it and each time it came out really close.

Wow! For that price I guess I'll give it a try. :notworth:

Thanks, thats very generous of you!

How do you "save" engine parameters?
It wont let me change any bore or stroke sizes?
It wont let you select any "engines"....

Ahhh It is a "DEMO" only version. The full version need to be activated somehow with an unlock key. So close!!!!

Anyone have an unlock key I can "borrow"?

on web-a-file i have 2 folders to download,dyno2003 is the "patch"....jou put it into the installed folder..and make a shortcut of that "patch"icon to your desktop

done,you have the full version

I figured it was something like that I just couldn't work it out last night...

Thanks again!

I'll try again, last night it said Dyno2003 folder downloaded great but when I clicked on that icon I get "The application has failed to start because olch2d8.dll was not found. Re-installing the program may fix this problem"

I'll fudge with it some more right now and see if I can figure it out!
I tried re-installing it, but to no avail.
Ughhh, same error message.

I looked in the folder where I downloaded "Dyno2003" and the file olch2d8.dll (& olch3d8.dll for that matter) are in there.

I can't figure it out. :cry:

:homework: :dark1:
comp26.gif
moparts%20ghost.gif

im tryin it too and it isnt working lol...i have the demo installed...clicked the patch icon on desktop and i open it with desktop dyno 2003 (the actual program) and then it opens desktop dyno but still demo version...am i doing something wrong?

you delete the icon on the desktop,you open the folder dyno2003 on your harddrive and you put the "patch"icon in that folder..and make a shortcut of that icon to your desktop

when i click the patch icon and it asks me what program to open it with, do i open it with desktop dyno 2003?

ok,when you install desktopdyno 2003 on your computer it should create a folder called dyno2003 on your harddrive..you open that folder and you should see 1 icon....delete that one!

copy teh icon you downloaded (dyno2003) and paste it into the folder

then if you click om the icon you put in there it should work

I've heard that the desktop dyno programs can be very accurate if you know your head flow numbers. However the other wildcard seems to be choosing the correct intake manifold and trying to determine which of the flow categories it really belongs. I never know which to enter for the Air Gap - but have assumed dual plane high flow.

-
Back