How Tight Is It?

-

Drg racr

Reaction score
I'm curious, now tight is a 440 in a Barracuda? I have a guy that wants to sell me a 69-70 440 car motor. I do not want to use fenderwell headers or cut into the engine compartment.

If you could include a year model please. The cats knocked my crystal ball off the table and broke it.

Looks like 2nd gen by the pic off to the left. I would stick to a small block,but thats
just me. To much work for a few extra ponys.

Yep, for my 69 Fish. I'm thinking the same thing, keeping it a small block. But its hard to pass up a real hi-po 440 for $400.

I talked to a guy at a car show a couple weeks ago that put a 440 in a 65 Fish. It was tight - had fenderwell headers. Master cylinder had been relocated to under the dash on the passenger side .

you will need a "b" 727, shorten driveshaft, tti headers, electric water pump, pusher or sucker electric fan, motor plate, remove or shorten the heater fan motor and that's about it.

I talked to a guy at a car show a couple weeks ago that put a 440 in a 65 Fish. It was tight - had fenderwell headers. Master cylinder had been relocated to under the dash on the passenger side .

really?? wonder what the hell he screwed up installing that motor.

here is my 64 valiant with a 440 in it.. master cyl. in stock location and it still had the heater blower motor in the stock location. to me the 440 was actually easier to work on in the car then the 360 it had before the 440..
64valiant025.jpg

as far as a 440 in a 67-up a-body goes.. its not a bad fit. it really depends if you are using power steering and on the headers you plan on using.

yea i know you can stroke a small block, but you can also stroke a big block. the myth that a big block a-body can't handle is just false and i'm telling you, there is just nothing like driving a big block a-body. its awesome..

Nevermind....

I can't say what popped into my mind when I read the title. It could get me in trouble....

Let's just say, I hope you have a HUGE jar of Vaseline.....

I don't think he screwed anything up - they did it to clean up the firewall. It looked nice - I have a pic of it somewhere!

Do it and dont look back. I love mine and wouldnt trade out for a small block for anything. You will need schumaker mounts, TTI headers, lose the pwr stg, and there it is. I run a champ rad with belt driven big blade mopar clutch fan. There are other headers but TTI fits soooo nice! They are a little pricey but what aint in this hobby. If you go with TTI you can run a 4 spd too, just add their Z bar. Changing spark plugs is a little bit of a PITA but how often do you have to do that? I did not relocate the fan but all you have to do is take off the nuts and leave it loose in the FW and the right side VC comes right off. I run a solid roller cam so I adjust once a year and only 4 valves are slightly tricky to adjust due to the headers. No fender well headers and no cutting... Nuff said... BBM A body rules!!!!

Ya know I could have wrote all this in well under 20 min if Abodyjoe hadnt posted that pic... DAYAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't NEED Schumacher mounts or anybody else's "cure". You need to wander around the tech pages at www.bigblockdart.com and make a plan with your wallet open. You can't beat the fun factor, they can be built to handle and stop well. With that said, IF I were starting over with my Barracuda I might think seriously about a 6.1 with injection/etc. In the end, the cost might be very close to the same if a wreck were bought. I like the idea of fuel injection on an occasional driver.

Attachments

• MVC-019S.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 466
yea i know you can stroke a small block, but you can also stroke a big block. the myth that a big block a-body can't handle is just false and i'm telling you, there is just nothing like driving a big block a-body. its awesome..

Then why'd you get rid of the damned thing?

Then why'd you get rid of the damned thing?

which one? the 440 valiant or 440 demon?? hell the only reason the yellow dart had a 360 in it was because everything was there when i bought it. the rpm intake,eddy heads etc...etc..etc.. figured it was all there and would just be cheaper to go that route. it was reasonably fast b ut never did feel like the 440 abodies that i have had in the past.

like jim said. i build them. get bored and want to build something else. i just don't get attached to any certain car. to me its just a toy. i do what i want with it then move on.

which one? the 440 valiant or 440 demon?? hell the only reason the yellow dart had a 360 in it was because everything was there when i bought it. the rpm intake,eddy heads etc...etc..etc.. figured it was all there and would just be cheaper to go that route. it was reasonably fast b ut never did feel like the 440 abodies that i have had in the past.

like jim said. i build them. get bored and want to build something else. i just don't get attached to any certain car. to me its just a toy. i do what i want with it then move on.

I`ve been the same way, but this will "is" my last one .
first was a 426 hemi belvedere-then a 72 vega w/ a 406-then a 406 92 gmc-now a 68 barracuda 505" street monster. it`s good to be back!!!!:coffee2:

-
Back