How to 360?

-
If you're looking to go Mega Cheap. This is what i'd do.
Used intake $150.00
Used Headers $75.00
Used 750cfm Carb $150.00
Mill heads down to get +/- 10:1 compression $100.00
Swap meet Cam and lifters (Who cares about exact specs)(People tend to over cam small valve heads) $50.00
...... So we're up to $625.00 and you'll probably make a bit closer to 375hp.

You'll be happy with that.

Please send all left over money in your budget to........
hahahahaha. Good luck!

Yeah sell the LD-340, TO ME I'll take that off your hands.
Got a brand new one still in the box...I'll keep you in mind if I go back to a 6-pack.
To quote Direct Connection, "all the '71-'75, 340-360 intake manifolds for the Carter Thermo-Quad carburetors are excellent designs, and are very difficult to improve upon. The LD-340 offers only a slight gain".

I think the LD-340 is more than a little over rated, and I prefer 6-pack induction for the street.

Got a brand new one still in the box...I'll keep you in mind if I go back to a 6-pack.
To quote Direct Connection, "all the '71-'75, 340-360 intake manifolds for the Carter Thermo-Quad carburetors are excellent designs, and are very difficult to improve upon. The LD-340 offers only a slight gain".

I think the LD-340 is more than a little over rated, and I prefer 6-pack induction for the street.

I have one on my car and another in storage. But I'll take all I can get. For a street manifold I think they are hard to beat for the X or J head. As far as a LD-340 and A six pack? Apples and oranges there. And I like the LD-340 over the cast iron TQ intake if for no other reason than the weight.

I have one on my car and another in storage. But I'll take all I can get. For a street manifold I think they are hard to beat for the X or J head. As far as a LD-340 and A six pack? Apples and oranges there. And I like the LD-340 over the cast iron TQ intake if for no other reason than the weight.
They are hard to beat, and I like the original aftermarket vibe of them as well. Lots of cool factor! and the weight savings is more than substantial.
I recently sold my T/A motor to a restoration shop on the west coast, so I am sans motor in my Demon. I've got a great '71 to build, but I'm in the middle of another project so I haven't decided what I am going to do. I think I am going back to a 6-pack........ I have a set of X-heads that were ported by the guy who ported the heads that won the original Hemi challenge, and I am dying to use them. The numbers are supposed to be amazing, so I'm up in the air regarding the LD-340.

It won`t make you go any faster but I would install a new oil pump. A windage tray is an inexpensive improvement. I would install your headers with a low restriction exhaust system and a crossover pipe. On the induction side a fresh air scoop is also an inexpensive performance improvement. I agree with the guys about getting the compression up and using that LD340 with an Edelbrock carb. If you can afford it pick up a set of the J heads from Aerohead (I think they`re a division of Indy). You can buy a rebuilt set with new springs and 2.02 valves at a bargain price. Spend a little time cleaning them up yourself. This will be the heart of your engine, especially as you continue to build on it (and you will) Lol! Once you have the compression up, pick a good cam that will compliment the rest of the build. The Comp 268 is a great cam, you could even go solid if you have adjustable rockers. The rockers can be had from 67 and earlier 273`s that came with solid cams. You want to be able to rev that rascal to make some power and if you put a higher gear in the rear end you`ll already be prepared. Eventually you`ll want to install a high stall torque converter and a shift kit but those topics can be saved for subsequent threads.

It won`t make you go any faster but I would install a new oil pump. A windage tray is an inexpensive improvement. I would install your headers with a low restriction exhaust system and a crossover pipe. On the induction side a fresh air scoop is also an inexpensive performance improvement. I agree with the guys about getting the compression up and using that LD340 with an Edelbrock carb. If you can afford it pick up a set of the J heads from Aerohead (I think they`re a division of Indy). You can buy a rebuilt set with new springs and 2.02 valves at a bargain price. Spend a little time cleaning them up yourself. This will be the heart of your engine, especially as you continue to build on it (and you will) Lol! Once you have the compression up, pick a good cam that will compliment the rest of the build. The Comp 268 is a great cam, you could even go solid if you have adjustable rockers. The rockers can be had from 67 and earlier 273`s that came with solid cams. You want to be able to rev that rascal to make some power and if you put a higher gear in the rear end you`ll already be prepared. Eventually you`ll want to install a high stall torque converter and a shift kit but those topics can be saved for subsequent threads.

I have J heads and did some cleaning up on them allready. I am going to put on some kb-107 pistons. I am using the LD340 and going with a com cam 224/230, holley 650 double pumper(till I can afford a 750) with hedman headers. I have an A-833 4 speed in the car and a crappy 3.23 in a 8.75 rear end. I dont know but I think I will go with that for now, what do you guys think.

It sounds like you`re on your way to a good affordable build. I`m always about the heads when it comes to engine building. That`s where you can really build your power. With your 360 at .030 or .040 over you`re probably getting close to 370 c.i.`s so you`ll need some heads that are going to move some air and fuel. With the compression up and the right cam you should be at your target hp. The 3.23 gear is going to make the car a bit of a pig down low but at least you`ve got a 4 spd.. Lol! I think you`re going at it the right way and if you start with a good foundation then you can modify it along the way as you like it.

-
Back