HOW TO ADJUST 65 DART AUTO SHIFT CABLES?

-

dpalsmeier

Reaction score
Good morning,
Do you have any fool proof ways to adjust the shift cable?
Motor and trans are rebuilt, less the 200 miles ago.
Recently lost "start in park" and Reverse. Spent half of Saturday adjusting; used light to check Park & Neutral, worked well Sunday.
Tuesday morning wife has same issues again.
Book says something like "put in low, and back adjusting wheel out 4 holes".
Which way do I need to adjust for No Reverse?
Any suggestions other than dropping pan and verifying positions?
thanks

Good morning,
Do you have any fool proof ways to adjust the shift cable?
Motor and trans are rebuilt, less the 200 miles ago.
Recently lost "start in park" and Reverse. Spent half of Saturday adjusting; used light to check Park & Neutral, worked well Sunday.
Tuesday morning wife has same issues again.
Book says something like "put in low, and back adjusting wheel out 4 holes".
Which way do I need to adjust for No Reverse?
Any suggestions other than dropping pan and verifying positions?
thanks

Not too long ago I saw a video on Youtube about that, so you might want to search that.
It was very specific about how to adjust those.

I can't remember if the push button cable adjustment on the earlier models was the same as the '65 cables or not. If it is, the procedure was the put the shifter in reverse (and have someone hold it there) remove the bolt holding the adjustment wheel, back off the adjustment wheel a few turns so there is plenty of slack, push the cable housing into the transmission with mild pressure until it bottoms out, run the adjustment wheel in until it hits the transmission case, turn it in to the first hole the bolt will line up to the bolt hole, and then turn it in 5 more holes and install the bolt.

Thanks Cudamark!
I have a spare tranny and shifter, which I dropped the pan from and watched linkage move tonight. Nice and precise and smooth.
Mine feels awkward going into park; pretty sure I have trans or cable issues. I'll drop pan this weekend and see.
I've followed the book procedure, hooked test lights to safety start switch, and any other procedure I could find.
Any cable supplier recommendations?

For new, I think it's a place called Imperial Services? I may have a few used ones, but, I'd need complete measurements off yours to check. Floor shift, column shift, S/6 and V8 were all different. They're '65 only cables too. All the other years were different.

Cudamark,
Looks like I have a sticking blocker valve. Book says above 20 mph, enough fluid pressure to move that valve and prevent putting car in reverse. Interestingly enough, my extra 65 904 transmission is missing that part. Can you lend any expertise? Wondering if a spring went astray and jammed it.
thanks
gene

Cudamark,
Looks like I have a sticking blocker valve. Book says above 20 mph, enough fluid pressure to move that valve and prevent putting car in reverse. Interestingly enough, my extra 65 904 transmission is missing that part. Can you lend any expertise? Wondering if a spring went astray and jammed it.
thanks
gene
Sorry Gene, I haven't run into that problem before, so, I don't have any advice on what to do.

-
Back