How to adjust lash with Comp Cams hydraulic roller lifters

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I have Comp Cams roller rockers and hydraulic roller lifters. I had a ticking noise that I was able to make go away by finger tightening one of the adjusting ball studs. If that was loose, I had better check them all. Do you do the same 90 degree adjusting as Mopar OE style, and the same order? I would assume not. Also, I don't know how much lash. Anyone know specs and order and procedure?

Take them to zero lash and then a 1/4 turn down for performance street. You just want a some preload.

I have Comp Cams roller rockers and hydraulic roller lifters. I had a ticking noise that I was able to make go away by finger tightening one of the adjusting ball studs. If that was loose, I had better check them all. Do you do the same 90 degree adjusting as Mopar OE style, and the same order? I would assume not. Also, I don't know how much lash. Anyone know specs and order and procedure?

You can use the 90* setting chart:

312-P4452989.jpg

but I don't bother with it. I use "EOIC" which can be used with ANY engine regardless of firing order or number of cylinders

It means...........rotate the engine until..........

the EXHAUST valve just starts to OPEN, and set the intake for that cylinder.

Then rotate until..........

the INTAKE has opened fully, and is coming nearly CLOSED and set the exhaust for that cylinder

You can do it any way that makes you feel comfortable---by firing order, or front to rear on each head, or warm it up, set one head, install the cover, then re--warm and do the second head, etc.

You're using the 8920-16 Pro-Magnum lifters, correct. The proper preload on that lifter is .000-.010". Which I believe is 1/8 turn maximum.

I did find a Comp Cams tech article. Basically zero lash and 1/2 turn. Does it make for better street performance with 1/8 or 1/4 turn, or am I best going with Comp Cams way?

Depends on the lifter like IQ said. Factory lifters like more preload. Anti pump ups want a lot less. What lifters are you running?

NO LASH. Preload yes, .020-.040" works fine unless your running SOLID roller valve springs,which I guess you listened to Comp for springs.LOL 1/2 to 1 turn down is fine.

I know that in my old 340 with all comp cams roller stuff the motor would not start at 1/2 turn preload. As soon as I brought them back to a 1/4 turn it started right up. If your running aluminum heads then you will need 1/2 turn or more.

Thats because the were still too pumped up to close the valves. Pretty basic stuff. Preload is not very important(.010-.080" often works unless you have limited travel lifters) unless you are on way on tight end,too loose and you'll have lash and that makes tons of noise.lol

It's hard to tell when you reach "0" lash/"0" preload without looking. At least it is for me. If one was loose and noisey but the rest are ok I'd suggest you go another 1/8 turn tighter than where they are now - assuming they are not loose like the first one and assuming the adjuster only has one thread or less showing out the bottom of the rocker body. If you have more showing, or more are a problem and not loose - then I'd pull the intake and measure for new pushrods that properly locate the adjuster and provide preload closer to .060".

-
Back