How to get headlight pull out knob to stay on!!

-
reach in back,push the button and use a pair of pliers to pull the shaft out. Then try to tap it on the shaft. It could be stripped.

The knob is not supposed to come off the shaft. There's a button on the bottom of the light switch that's behind the dash. You need to push in on the button while you pull the shaft all the way out. Epoxy the knob back on, then when it's dry, push the knob/shaft back in all the way. Should feel it click in place, and that's it.

The knob is not supposed to come off the shaft. As above, you are supposed to remove the SHAFT by reaching up under and pushing the release button, after pulling the switch to "on."

WiringLiteSwBack2.jpg

This is easy to fix. Remove the battery ground, pull the shaft to "on" reach around and find the button, and remove the shaft. Now simply glue the knob back on with epoxy, JB weld, etc.

Ok, thanks guys! I know it's not supposed to come off but when I got the car from my grandma the knob was already loose, so I will do as suggested. Thankfully I do have the original knob!

It's very important to do as Del mentions and pull the switch to the "on" position "before" pushing the button to remove the shaft! unless you want a tug of war on your hands!!!

I folded some tin foil over the shaft and pushed the knob back on, been that way for years, just don't yank on it and it will be fine.

Jeff

So, j'da get 'er fixed?

Sadly I haven't had time to even try, work plus dealing with insurance from a hit and run and all the weird after effects of said hit and run (I now have a 50/50 chance of my turn signals, wiper blades and defroster working!) and my air box is stuck on the defroster now....

Hopefully will have time soon!

I folded some tin foil over the shaft and pushed the knob back on, been that way for years, just don't yank on it and it will be fine.

Jeff

I don't know that that would work for mine, I have a metal (plastic painted metal maybe) knob and well I'm pretty sure I would go to turn on my lights and yank it right off😳

-
Back