How to get to this 'stance'

-

GJUK

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a 68 dart which I've had mini tubbed and I want to look at getting the axle shortened now to run some larger 275/285 tyres on the back of the car, some nice dished wheels and a lowered look.

The car will be a road car on the most part.

(copied photo from another member on this forum)

attachment.php

How do I get my car to look like this one's rear end? With the wheels tucked partly under the arches...

What springs would you reccomend, do you lot use lowering blocks to adjust the height or perhaps decamber the springs?

Super stocks make the car higher do they not, should I buy a pair and get them decambered?

Thanks guys,

Jon

lowered front spring perches & a less arched set of springs should help like Pauly suggested. I also found my car sat much lower when I ditched the rear shackles for a set of sliders. the car hooked and launched much better as an added bonus.

Have to wonder about getting a tire off of the *** end of it...if the rear does not drop down far enough might be a bit of a problem. One of my previous rides looked similar to that....had to disconnect the shocks to get the rear tires off...

Why not PM that member and ask them?

That car can't be driveable with those
tires that close to the fender. I think they are rubbing
sitting still.

It's too fricken low!!!!!!

Nah. Those are really tall tires out back. And in the front you can see that the wheel arch is still above the top of the tire. It's not that low. ;)

I run a set of AFCO 20231M's on my Duster, 121 lb/in spring with a reinforced front section. They sit pretty flat on my Duster, that's with a 6 5/8" arch. They do sell #20230, which has a 142 lb/in rate but a 5 5/8" arch. I would think that should still end up pretty flat on your car, although if they weren't low enough you could flip the hanger or add a small lowering block.

The other part of that look is the tire height. Those tires just about completely fill the rear wheel opening, so I would guess that they're probably 27" tall or so. With a shorter tire it would be hard to get that look, I couldn't really do it with the 26" tall tires on my Duster.

And with a min-tub, you're not limited to 275 or 285's. I think 72bbswinger has 335's on his car with a relocation and mini-tub. I know he has 12" wide rear rims.

Don't be surprised if you find out that it's not a leaf spring suspension on that car.

That looks to be at least a 28" tall tire, I'd actually guess taller, on a 15" rim tucked to wear the top of the rim is flush with the fender lip.

I'm betting ladder bar or 4-link suspension. I'm not saying it can't be done with leaf springs and lowering blocks, I'm just saying not to assume. Especially since no leaf springs are visible in the photo.

Attachments

• DSCF4518.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,336
  • DSCF4517.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,315
this is my 67 dart.

i have moved my springs in with relocation boxes and sliders. my boxes are drilled with the holes in the farthest upwards position possible. I have also converted to sliders in the rear and they are 1" notched into the rear frame rails. my car has the cal trac mono leafs with the -1" then stock springs. i have no lowering blocks and the rear tires are 325/45/17. they are 12" wide and 27" tall.

Thanks everyone.

younggun2.0 - that looks perfect.

I forgot to mention my leaf springs have been moved inwards also.

can someone explain what this means please

XHD (not SS) springs should achieve that.

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks everyone.

younggun2.0 - that looks perfect.

I forgot to mention my leaf springs have been moved inwards also.

can someone explain what this means please

Thanks,

Jon

Heavy Duty, not Super Stock.

are super stock considered 'extra' heavy duty and sit the car even higher?

They are two different types of springs. The SS springs are a specialized spring for racing, but many of us use them on street/strip cars and some on street cars if that is the look they are going for. They will raise the rear of your car substantially, especially if going from worn out stock springs. The passenger side has an extra leaf due to loading of the suspension to the passenger side while launching, so it raises the passenger side slightly higher when the vehicle is just sitting.

I have never ran the HD springs before as I have always had access to SS springs, but many members recommend them as they do not raise the back of the vehicle as high, but still provide a better ride than worn out stock leaves.

Other members here have also had their stock springs re-arched. I have never done this either.

I used to run a set of (SS) super stock leaves on the street.....de-arched (2") so they didn't make the car sit so high.

I wanted the technology Mopar invested in the leaves....just not the x-tra height

As far as I know....the only reason for the X-tra 3" arch was for BFS (Big Friggin Slicks) to fit ..... this was (early 70's) before we back-halfed and stretched fenderwells to get them tucked into the wheel-well.

What springs would you reccomend, do you lot use lowering blocks to adjust the height or perhaps decamber the springs?

Lowering blocks are by far the cheapest and easiest option to lower a car.
If you're unhappy with the current rear springrates you can always add a leaf to the stock springpacks like I did on my Dart.

At about 3" lowering (depending on springcondition) the rear axle snubber will start to contact the body.
Some lowering blocks are slanted at the top edge to provide some extra downward pinion angle, which helps in keeping the snubber away from the body.

Except for my Dart, all my other cars have 3" lowering blocks from Summit.
Only my Dart has just 1" lowering blocks and a leaf added to the packs.

On most car's with 3" blocks, I need to disconnect the lower shock bolt for added springdrop to be able to remove a rear tire. On some cars I also need 2 jacks. Bit of a hassle but the stance of the cars are worth it.

Thanks.

Are there any leaf springs you can get which are 'single' leaf springs rather than the multi leaf type?

Cheers

Jon

BrianT's Dart sits like a muscle car....nice job!

this is my 67 dart.

i have moved my springs in with relocation boxes and sliders. my boxes are drilled with the holes in the farthest upwards position possible. I have also converted to sliders in the rear and they are 1" notched into the rear frame rails. my car has the cal trac mono leafs with the -1" then stock springs. i have no lowering blocks and the rear tires are 325/45/17. they are 12" wide and 27" tall.

top notch job !!!

just wondering....why the hole cut in top of the boxes?. ....for clearance w/ the spring eye?....To do over would you just drop the top holes a red C-hair?

i would take a spin in BrianT's car or Youngguns

both are nice if you ask me. i would have a hard time choosing, would have to pop the hood first lol.

I had a red 68 dart. I mini tubed it, moved the springs in 3 inches. Had 325/50 15 tires w/ 15x10 wheels. They had a 5 inch back spacing. I put on SS springs. It looked great. I sold that car & it went to Canada. MMM I wonder what ever happened to that car ?

top notch job !!!

just wondering....why the hole cut in top of the boxes?. ....for clearance w/ the spring eye?....To do over would you just drop the top holes a red C-hair?

It was actually a screw up. I did all my measuring for the holes with the stock springs. The bolt holes I drilled put the springs up as high as possible. Then I got my mono leafs and the material around the front spring eye was thicker and they hit the inside of the box before i could get the bolt thru. I didn't wanna buy new boxes and drill new holes so I modified them to work

-
Back