How to ID a 440?

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am going to look at a truck tonight and the guy claims it's a 440. Without being able to see the block casting numbers, how can I tell the 440 from a 383 by looking at the distributor mount? Which one has the pad and which one has the bump where the hold-down goes. I can't recall which one is which.
Thanks in advance

440 has a pad by the distribitor and all the info you need to know is stamped on the pad

An RB engine (440) has the pad as shown circled in picture, while a B engine (383) does not have this pad. Its information is on a pad by the distributor. The pads information will give year and CID. example: "C 440" = 1967, "F 440" = 1970. There are other ways casting number etc, but the above is a quick way I use to determine.
The year A, B, C's started over in 65. So A=65, B-66, C-67 etc...

Attachments

• rb engine.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 176
Here's a close up of the pad for my 68 440 block. You can see "440" stamped in it. FYI.

You may want to bring a hand wire brush to clean it off on the one that your looking at. Sometimes they are hard to see with paint/rust/grease/dirt on them.

View attachment My 440 A01 B2.jpg

........and just to add that last bit of "it's a simple life" complication, they did make an oddball RB 383 for a short time, which I'll admit, you are unlikely to "run into"

hp2.gif

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/motor/36.html

On "RB" engines the cubic inch displacement is stamped on a pad located at the front of the block. "B" engines have a similar pad located on the right side of the block near the base of the distributor. Engine displacement, performance level, undersized bearing journals, oversize cylinders and other special information are also identified here.

funny Del I had added that the 59- 60 383 was an RB engine, but deleted it just to keep it simple.... lol

........and just to add that last bit of "it's a simple life" complication, they did make an oddball RB 383 for a short time, which I'll admit, you are unlikely to "run into"

-
Back