How to install O/D plug

-

HotRod777

Reaction score
So what’s the preferred way to get the core plug in the counter shaft hole on the 833OD? I have the seal kit from Brewers and that plug is pretty thick and convex… it currently fits into the hole with no interference. I assume it’s meant to be “flattened” into place snug but it seems like you’d have to hit it pretty hard to make that happen… I’m hesitant to do that with the aluminum case. I was considering pre-flattening it and measuring with a micrometer until it just taps in snug…. Thoughts, ideas?

Call Brewers and ask for Dan on Tuesday, he will take the time to discuss it with you, I spoke with him on the phone a few times and at Carlisle, I find he's VERY willing, knowledgeable and easy to talk to.

Use some sealant on the plug, I wipe it around the step in the bore before I install the plug. Then I drive the plug in place with a blunt punch...I use one that is 1/2" across the face. It will get tight.

Use some sealant on the plug, I wipe it around the step in the bore before I install the plug. Then I drive the plug in place with a blunt punch...I use one that is 1/2" across the face. It will get tight.

Hi Dan, I saw this and wanted to ask a similar question. I built an aluminum case trans for my drag car and am using the Red Line heavy shock oil on your recommendation. The case was bushed with steel bushings front and rear by Liberty and it has their raced prepped gears. My problem is oil seeps out the front counter shaft and down under the bellhousing. Not a lot, but enough to leave a mark on the cardboard under the car at night. I used some Permatex #2 on the front, but that didn't change the seepage. I thought about having the shaft cut for an o-ring in the front. Do you have an idea to seal the area? It's not leaking from the bushing, it is the shaft.
Liberty Trans (14).JPG

Hi Dan, I saw this and wanted to ask a similar question. I built an aluminum case trans for my drag car and am using the Red Line heavy shock oil on your recommendation. The case was bushed with steel bushings front and rear by Liberty and it has their raced prepped gears. My problem is oil seeps out the front counter shaft and down under the bellhousing. Not a lot, but enough to leave a mark on the cardboard under the car at night. I used some Permatex #2 on the front, but that didn't change the seepage. I thought about having the shaft cut for an o-ring in the front. Do you have an idea to seal the area? It's not leaking from the bushing, it is the shaft.View attachment 1715982590
Before I drive the shaft all the way in, I clean and blow dry with brake kleen. Then wipe silicone in the bore and finish installing the shaft. Not had any trouble doing it this way.

Before I drive the shaft all the way in, I clean and blow dry with brake kleen. Then wipe silicone in the bore and finish installing the shaft. Not had any trouble doing it this way.

Thanks Dan, Over the winter I will R&R and give that a shot.

So what’s the preferred way to get the core plug in the counter shaft hole on the 833OD? I have the seal kit from Brewers and that plug is pretty thick and convex… it currently fits into the hole with no interference. I assume it’s meant to be “flattened” into place snug but it seems like you’d have to hit it pretty hard to make that happen… I’m hesitant to do that with the aluminum case. I was considering pre-flattening it and measuring with a micrometer until it just taps in snug…. Thoughts, ideas?
Use a heat gun to warm up the rubber and grease. Works like a charm. Otherwise you’ll fight with that rubber.

-
Back