HOW TO: ipod into hotrod without a radio

-

oldkid

Reaction score
look, the ipod hook up is EASY. it takes up less space, it's easier to hide, and you don't have to store all your cd's someplace.

here's what ya do.....

get an ipod.

go to your local stereo shop or shop online, but beware that alot of these products do not carry a warranty if purchased online.

the first thing you need is a PAC a/v output adapter. this will provide an audio signal output and charge your ipod while driving.

31hXlM-4yBL_AA280_1.jpg

next you'll need a PAC lc-1 volume control. this will allow you to control the volume. most shops use these for subwoofer control, but it's really just a potientometer. should be easy to disguise it with a dashknob. you need this, because when use the ipod output instead of the headphone jack, you will not have volume capability on the ipod itself.
paclc11.jpg

these 2 parts should run around 50 bucks^^^^^^^^^

next you'll need an amplifier. any amp with rca inputs will do. for a small, clean, and cool running amp, i suggest the alpine PDX series. they're digital so you can stash them anywhere and not worry about them running hot. and they are pretty small for a powerful amp. not the cheapest, but very good.

of course you'll need speakers too.

mount your amplifier wherever you choose. be sure to put an inline fuse at least 12" from the battery. next hook up your speakers to the amplifier. speaker placement will depend on type of car etc.., so i won't go into that.

mount your LC-1 behind the dash, or inder or wherever. the knob just pulls off a splined shaft, and a small 8mm nut holds it in the mount. i usually remove it from the mounting box for more custom installations.

run an rca from the output side of the LC-1 to the input side of your amplifier.

next choose a spot you want your ipod. you'll need to run an rca from the a/v adapter cable to the input side of the LC-1. you'll also need a 12+ and ground wire run to the a/v cable to charge your ipod while driving.

ok, after all this is done, plug in your ipod to the a/v cable. make sure the gain control on the amplifier is all the way down. turn the LC-1 all the way up. choose a song and play it on the ipod. while the song is playing, adjust the amplifiers gain control up until the music starts to distort. now back off a bit and you've set your volume at max and should help your equipment live a long full life. ( if you amp has a crossover network, i usually set the x-over point at around 120hz highpass. it eliminates alot of distortion and will allow higher volumes. it's not the the most accurate for fine tuning, but in a car with loud exhaust, squeaks, etc...volume is a bit more important!)

so there ya go, everything you need to use an ipod in your car without the use of a headunit, or cheesy ipod speakers.

or....go to wallmart for $15 bucks buy the cord with ipod plug on one end and cigar lighter on the other.Plug and play!! oh yeah in between the 2 connections is a little device you tune your radio into.

Oldkid I need to visit you when I do a stereo for my Cordoba.

or....go to wallmart for $15 bucks buy the cord with ipod plug on one end and cigar lighter on the other.Plug and play!! oh yeah in between the 2 connections is a little device you tune your radio into.

this setup is meant for vehicles with no radio...

great now you tell me after all that work I did on my dash to have a modern radio put in..

Really that is a great idea. most people only listen to their Ipods anyways.
If I only knew this a few months ago, My dash may have looked different.

I have that unit! It works well AND YOU CAN USE THE STEREO VOLUME CONTROL! I bought a cheap $50 mp3 player to use with it and there are no glitches with the system. It's the same tecnology used for wireless speakers in your home,and you will lose a bit of sound quality but nothing to really complain about.

well i like this i have a ipod classic with 10626 songs on it thank u

Whut's an IPOD? Do I get to send more money to Bill Gates?

Very Cool. My '74 is completely devoid of any sound system so I will be doing this Mod 4 sure.

This is the info I am needing, My son's have told me it can be dun and now I have instruction :eek:ccasion: Thank you Oldkid :happy7: I do listen to my AM radio and a cassette player and I did not want to cut up Victoria and hid the dual alpines in the picnic basket :blackeye:
Looking forward to getting updated on what these ipod do and how to doing

Attachments

• i6364.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 744
  • i6365.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 748
Thanks for the tip! Very handy advice and beats the snot out of cutting up your dashboard!

Steve

Can anyone provide more identification on the PAC a/v output adapter? I went to the stereo stores in town and the guys I asked looked at me like I was some out of tune fossil. I came home and printed the pic and took it back. The response at both shops was that they had no such thing and could not order it without a part number. Help????

Can anyone provide more identification on the PAC a/v output adapter? I went to the stereo stores in town and the guys I asked looked at me like I was some out of tune fossil. I came home and printed the pic and took it back. The response at both shops was that they had no such thing and could not order it without a part number. Help????

Here ya go ... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PAC+-+R...ller/9046105.p?id=1218012140248&skuId=9046105

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/IC-AV-Output-Cable-IPOD-Video/dp/B000K4YOVW"]Amazon.com: PAC IC-AV A/V Output Cable for IPOD Video: Electronics[/ame]

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10053_iPod-to-RCA-A-V-Connections-Adapter.html

Perfect! Thanks! Now I'll order online and I don't have to go back and see the local know-it-all installers.

I have purchased a monster brand and an I-Trip brand, both cost around 50 dollars (for my I phone) (Radio tuner transmitter / charger ). They both suck anywhere but far out in the hills. California has too many powerful radio stations so the little unit could not compete. I tried all channels in the 88 - 108 spectrum. I also tried the better unit (I-Trip) in Franklin IN and thru Kentucky and it worked decent, just decent. The only way to go is blue-tooth or hard wire from my experience.
See, you have to find an empty channel where there is no channel directly adjacent and when you are in town or city, the chance of finding any empty channel is near impossible so the little rf transmitter is always competing and I am always trying to find a better channel. So, it is really just an expensive novelty unless I am way out in the hills where I can find a large gap between radio stations so that there is no overlap or bleed over onto my channel.

"well i like this i have a ipod classic with 10626 songs on it thank u " You must have just gotten started?!? I have over 18,000 songs

Old thread but I'm glad this came back up.

How do you change the song or search for artists or playlists on your Ipod if it's hidden away?!?

-
Back