How to make an engine pallet/crate?

-

jd_physicist

Reaction score
I'm pulling the engine and transmission from my '64 and I would like to store the engine so that I can rebuild it later. The remainder of the car, aside from parts that are sellable, will be junked. (It was in a bad rollover wreck.)

Have any of you ever built a pallet/crate for an LA engine? What's the best way to support it and strap it down for transport/storage?

The transmission will probably be a bit easier to store, but I'm hoping someone has a design or suggestions for an engine pallet/crate so that I'm not running back and forth to my house or the lumber yard for materials.

i'm pulling the engine and transmission from my '64 and i would like to store the engine so that i can rebuild it later. The remainder of the car, aside from parts that are sellable, will be junked. (it was in a bad rollover wreck.)

have any of you ever built a pallet/crate for an la engine? What's the best way to support it and strap it down for transport/storage?

The transmission will probably be a bit easier to store, but i'm hoping someone has a design or suggestions for an engine pallet/crate so that i'm not running back and forth to my house or the lumber yard for materials.
i built a wooden holder for my 340 and it is cheap and easy. I will take pic's of it and send to you. Do you have a e-mail i can use. Thie creation is of 2x4's and was done in less than a hour and you can shrink wrap around the entire thing plus you could easily add wheels so you can roll it around, the motor sets in it and is supported by the edges of the block where the bell housins bolts on and the edges of the oil pan. Steve

i have used rubbermaid (?) trash cans for transmission storage. if I remember right i used a 44 gallon one. i will check it when i go outside. i have the one that you can get wheels for the bottom of it. they can withstand some weight, i used them when i moved for the rocks out of my fishtank, one of the cans is heavy enough that it takes 2 to lift it.....

First off, What 64 are you junking? Second, get you a pallet then out of 2x10's make two pieces that the oil pan rails can set on. There ya go. Reinforce the rail supports as needed and strap it down with some nylon straps and screws.
Small Block

First off, What 64 are you junking? Second, get you a pallet then out of 2x10's make two pieces that the oil pan rails can set on. There ya go. Reinforce the rail supports as needed and strap it down with some nylon straps and screws.
Small Block

See the wrecked Mopars thread for pics of my '64. Since the wreck, it's been in storage, and I've slowly been pulling parts off. The roof, hood, fenders, and damaged trim are all gone. I'm going to keep the engine, transmission, and some associated parts for a "hopeful" future build, and sell off the rest. What remains will go to a scrap metal yard.

i have used rubbermaid (?) trash cans for transmission storage. if I remember right i used a 44 gallon one. i will check it when i go outside. i have the one that you can get wheels for the bottom of it. they can withstand some weight, i used them when i moved for the rocks out of my fishtank, one of the cans is heavy enough that it takes 2 to lift it.....

Good idea--will contain the occasional drip too. Thanks!

-
Back