How to paint engine bay?

-
Body color mixed and put in spray cans work great. I did the underneath of my old '69 Dart with rattle cans and it turned out really nice. Did the complete roll cage as well. Looked great with the cage done in 'Charger Red' against the black and aluminum interior.
The "bright" idea the previous owner of my current '69 Dart had was to spray the engine compartment with that rubber coating you can dip your tool handles in. I betcha that's gonna be fun to take off.

your car, you want a black engine compartment, then paint it black. i think if its a nice clean job it looks fine. id paint it matte black. ive seen a few really nice cars done this way and it really doesnt look to bad. i dont know if id paint mine black, but they beauty of working in old cars, you can turn it into watever you want.

GREAT tip on the aluminum foil. I'll be painting the EB of the 74 tomorrow. Body color Tahitian Gold. No black thank you.

Ya, dont do it. That is the reason knowone has ever seen under my hood. I haven't painted it my body flat black yet. But I will. No matter what. I wont even take the car out of the driveway until I do that.

One more idea....you can add a lot of detail by simply taking a little extra time unbolting or unfastening things in the way before painting: rubber plugs, harnesses, hood bumpers, blower motor flange, horns, unbolt the regulator,... I unbolted the master cylinder and brake booster without breaking the lines, just got a coat hanger and suspended it from the rafters. Wrapped it in foil. It was fun, kinda mindless work, had Stray Cats in the CD player and a Bass Ale nearby. When I was done painting and put it together, I couldn't believe I could do anything that nice by myself. But really, it was easy, just took a little time and effort.

Barracuda 101 (2).jpg

Barracuda 099 (2).jpg

Whats next, a small block Chevy engine! LOL! Please don't do it black, MoPar is always body color under the hood, I did mine with rattle spray cans!!! SSSHHHHHHHH, don't tell! :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Some C bodies came black.

JR wouldn't help me unless I painted the bay body color so I did.
Cleaned it, epoxy primed, wet sanded, regular prime, more wet sanding then paint and clear.

DSC00860.JPGr.jpg

DSC00872.JPGresize.jpg

DSC00867.JPGresized.jpg

Mines black... Didn't do it myself but I don't think it looks that bad and have no plans on changing it anytime soon.

SANY1121.JPG

i´m rebuilding the engine bay and front suspension on my ´69 dart. Now The engine bay´s flatblack and it looks scrappy. Think body color is the way to go.

Whats next, a small block Chevy engine! LOL! Please don't do it black, MoPar is always body color under the hood, I did mine with rattle spray cans!!! SSSHHHHHHHH, don't tell! :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Keith, everytime i see your car i like it more and more, it´s clean, simple and and has this nostalgic touch:thumblef:

If you plan to drive the car a lot go black. Body color will look like crap in a year or so. When I painted my car I went with body color and have regretted it ever since.

Road grim will get in all the nocks & crannies and it is almost impossible to get out. A low gloss/satin black will look nicer longer.

spay with good degreaser pressure wash then use wax &grease remover if it has been painted with rattle cans before strip with rilock disc sand,wash again with wax&grease remover prime,paint if it is orignal paint just sand the rust spots out & were you sanded thourgh &prime be sure &read the paint mfg recomomedations try to avoid rattle cans if possible cheap paint is not good good paint is not cheap &dont paint black unless the car is black

-
Back