How to properly set timing?

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question but I honestly don't know and I want to do it the right way.

How do I set the timing on my 318 with a bigger cam?

Its a 318 Magnum with a 600 Holley and a drop in ready to run distributor.
The distributor advance should be 24º CENTRIFUGAL AND 10-14º VAC,
Cam specs are
512/.522 lift 206/212 @.050

My timing mark is up under the waterpump somewhere now and the engine still seems like it wants more initial.

The right way is to find out "what it likes" for initial, then use whatever method you can come up with to determine safe max. total mechanical. Drag strip, G-tech, or dyno, what ??

Then curve the distributor to meet those two figures.

"Springs" (rate of advance) is last, to get it to behave in between, so to speak. You don't want too much too soon (mid throttle detonation, etc) nor do you want such a slow curve that you are leaving power, response, engine heat, and mileage "on the table."

I'd disregard the vac advance right now. You don't want the total to be much over 36* and with 24* built into the dizzy, that limits you to 12* initial. I would think that somewhere in the 16-20* initial range will give you the best drivability, but you'll have to limit the total so it's not too much. There are some smart members here that can tell you how to restrict you total numbers for whatever type distributor you have. Unfortunately i'm not one of them.

Good luck getting it dialed in.

search hillbilly timing tape and my user name.

I'm not typing any of this anymore. Use the search function for any of a gazillion threads about the subject

For initial I would advance to max vacuum.then limit total to 32 to 35*without vacuum advance

is the water pump inlet on the wrong side ...blocking the timing marks?

Do as Crackedback said..search.....you need to establish a TDC...

Ok, let me clarify... Engine was set at TDC timing mark lines up with TDC mark perfectly. My timing marks only go to -10 0 +10. I have it advanced up past the +10 so I do not no how much initial I have.

timing tape or dial back timing light...or calculate the circumference of the damper...and divide it by 360 degrees....and mark the damper where you need to be...

hillbilly style

I don't know why but I sense sarcasm in this...

Sorry I don't know everything im young... I would time it by ear but my trucks loud and its hard to hear if its detonating or not.

It wasn't sarcastic at all. I had nothing to add, but wanted to see the responses. I'm horrible at setting total timing, I don't have enough experience doing it by myself, so I always need a hand doing it. Initial I'm fine with, and getting it to run smooth, but total, like said, I need help.

Don't read so much into it, there was no sarcasm.

Is this a street car? If it is, just pull the timing up till it pings then back off till it quits and lock it down.

This is the method that i was told to use. timing tape or dial back timing light!!!!

timing tape or dial back timing light...or calculate the circumference of the damper...and divide it by 360 degrees....and mark the damper where you need to be...

hillbilly style

It wasn't sarcastic at all. I had nothing to add, but wanted to see the responses. I'm horrible at setting total timing, I don't have enough experience doing it by myself, so I always need a hand doing it. Initial I'm fine with, and getting it to run smooth, but total, like said, I need help.

Don't read so much into it, there was no sarcasm.

Sorry my bad I'm so used to the trolls and flammers I just jumped to conclusions.

timing1.jpg

timing2.jpg

-
Back