how to raise front end of car?

-

aarong5

Aaron Grimes
Reaction score
I have a 67 barracuda and when I bought it it had a 318 in it, and set fine in the front...the guy that fixed my car for me (I was 16 and had no idea on things so paid my life savings getting this car fixed) I bought a crate 360 and put in the car after that I had to get smaller wheels for the front because the car sat lower and the tires rubbed on the drivers side fender, not the other side, but now the car is really out of line to keep the front end high enough to keep the headers from dragging the ground...my question is why is it doing this and how can I make the front end higher without taking the car out of alignment, would coilovers help or what would be a good way to fix it.

THere is nothing you can do that will NOT affect the alignment. When the ride height changes, so does the camber angle. It will need to be realigned if you raise it much.

your mopar has torsion bars...there are adjustment under the lower control arm to raise and lower the front end...but the front end will need to be realigned if you make a big adjustment.

Raising the car is not a issue,you simply adjust the torsion bar bolts to the height you need.The bigger issue is why its getting lower.Possible causes,torsion bar are getting very weak and need to be replaced.
Transmission cross member where torsion bars go into and attach are rusting out and metal is becoming weak causing the torsion bar to twist in the frame.Possible front end problem with front lower tables.
If no rust issues appear,replace the T/Bars with H/D units,readjust the height and re-aligin,mrmopartech

A more powerful motor will rise the front end when you press the rectangle pedal located closest to the transmission.

Raising the car is not a issue,you simply adjust the torsion bar bolts to the height you need.The bigger issue is why its getting lower.Possible causes,torsion bar are getting very weak and need to be replaced.
Transmission cross member where torsion bars go into and attach are rusting out and metal is becoming weak causing the torsion bar to twist in the frame.Possible front end problem with front lower tables.
If no rust issues appear,replace the T/Bars with H/D units,readjust the height and re-aligin,mrmopartech

mrmopartech is 100 percent correct and so are these other guys on here... Make sure you check that ASAP that torsion bar could break or twist out as you are going down the road, it's not a pretty site.... I had one break on me in my barn sound like a shot gun went off , one side was on the ground wheel pushed up inside wheel well pretty good... I couldn't imagine driving 55 mph

All correct, so it lowered and you put smaller tires on- backwards. Torsion bars too small/weak/not adjusted to begin with.

Hookers, etc will always scrape on the ground, that's why they are cheap.

Try this; with the car on the ground; measure to the floor, from the lower part of torsion bar, then lower ball joint. Factory is 1 1/78" difference.

You can raise it with the torsion bars, but alignment goes all over the place, sometimes can't be re-aligned correctly.

Go back to standard tires, and read up on low hanging headers.

the tires rub if I put those on thought, I had to have the frame rail replaced, could that have something to do with it? if so am I screwed? lol like I said this guy is in jail for screwing up peoples car and I am in a class action case against him

All correct, so it lowered and you put smaller tires on- backwards. Torsion bars too small/weak/not adjusted to begin with.

Hookers, etc will always scrape on the ground, that's why they are cheap.

Try this; with the car on the ground; measure to the floor, from the lower part of torsion bar, then lower ball joint. Factory is 1 1/78" difference.

You can raise it with the torsion bars, but alignment goes all over the place, sometimes can't be re-aligned correctly.

Go back to standard tires, and read up on low hanging headers.
my cheap hooker headers dont scrape,they look brand new on the bottom. i have slant six torsion bars with a small block.my headers are 4 inches off the ground and 195/60/15s on the front.

-
Back