How To Recode A Door Lock

-
I tried to find a place to re-key my pre 66 door cylinders the same as my ignition. I checked with several locksmiths in nearby towns and even checked with several places in Denver. I got the same story everywhere. They can't do the pre 66 cylinders because the cylinder kits or pins aren't available. 66 and later are everyday business but not the early ones. Well, I got tired of that story so I pulled an extra cylinder apart to see what I could do. I dumped all the springs and pins and put the ignition key in the cylinder. One at a time I put pins back in to figure out which length pin would be the correct height with the key. I soon discovered I didn't have the correct combination of pins. I took a pin down to the local model shop along with my caliper and found a stick of round modeling brass rod the correct diameter. Took the rod home, cut the pieces to the approximate length (just a hair long)with my Dremel and a cutoff blade. Then filed, checked for fit by trying to turn the key, filed again, checked for fit, filed again, checked for fit etc. etc. When I got one to fit correctly with a pin on top and a spring to provide the correct tension I set it aside on a piece of cloth so that I would know which position it should occupy. Then I moved to the next open hole. It took a while but I soon had a set of pins that fit just right. The pins from the other cylinder were sized from the first trial and error and filed individually for fit too. I lined up the top pins for a reasonably level fit, installed the springs, put on the covers and put the cylinders in my car. They have worked well for a few years now. So if you cant round up correct pins it is possible to make your own from brass stock. It's a time consuming process but it can be done. Good project for a winter evening........

I tried to find a place to re-key my pre 66 door cylinders the same as my ignition. I checked with several locksmiths in nearby towns and even checked with several places in Denver. I got the same story everywhere. They can't do the pre 66 cylinders because the cylinder kits or pins aren't available. 66 and later are everyday business but not the early ones. Well, I got tired of that story so I pulled an extra cylinder apart to see what I could do. I dumped all the springs and pins and put the ignition key in the cylinder. One at a time I put pins back in to figure out which length pin would be the correct height with the key. I soon discovered I didn't have the correct combination of pins. I took a pin down to the local model shop along with my caliper and found a stick of round modeling brass rod the correct diameter. Took the rod home, cut the pieces to the approximate length (just a hair long)with my Dremel and a cutoff blade. Then filed, checked for fit by trying to turn the key, filed again, checked for fit, filed again, checked for fit etc. etc. When I got one to fit correctly with a pin on top and a spring to provide the correct tension I set it aside on a piece of cloth so that I would know which position it should occupy. Then I moved to the next open hole. It took a while but I soon had a set of pins that fit just right. The pins from the other cylinder were sized from the first trial and error and filed individually for fit too. I lined up the top pins for a reasonably level fit, installed the springs, put on the covers and put the cylinders in my car. They have worked well for a few years now. So if you cant round up correct pins it is possible to make your own from brass stock. It's a time consuming process but it can be done. Good project for a winter evening........

That's unfortunate,I could help you but I'm a little far away.Some of the locksmiths that have been in business for some time would probably have the pin kit needed.I used to rekey these locks all the time when I started locksmithing.You seem to have done a great job compromising.:thumleft:

I will say that I was impressed to see that you would go thru the trouble to make your own pins out of a brass rod. Congrats on that. I am in the state of florida so if I can be of some help hit me up. I have only been doing this for about 25 years. Not to far from Dreno.

good stuff to know guys!

glad to hear that I did ok buy a locksmith too!

How did you take them apart?

Do the pins just go in random order or are there seperate pins to a lock? Ie. can you make one into another just by changing the pin positions? We bought a beater 76 Coupe DeVille with one key and the ignition key didnt fit the doors! Found out the first night we took it out to a bar. F'n guy must have changed the ignition cause we were locked out. Had to bust the rear side window to get back home to base before we were UA. Drove that ***** from So. Cal to Chicago that weekend with a broken window. Didnt look good.

-
Back