How to remove anodizing

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
The headlight bezels on my 66 Barracuda are sort of a dull alum. color/finish.(OE) I want to polish them to match the grille. What is the finish on them? Is it a clear of some kind or are they anodized. How can I remove it sort of sanding?
Thanks,
Mike

66dvert has a thread. I tried and threw in the towel but you have to let the ez off soak for a couple hours.

Thanks PyroJim. yeah I soaked mine with Easy-Off "ORIGINAL" yellow top oven cleaner. that's really the only one I have found that works. Of course you can use crystal Draino too! but for that you have to have a tray big enough to soak the part in. (I'm doing some plastic dash pieces as I type) soak the part down good and just wait. small parts work better in draino if you can submerge them ,faster too!

For easyoff I found that if I cover the part in plastic(garbage bags work great) to keep it wet it works better with less applications of cleaner. it works GREAT. I've tried eastwoods stuff and it works but is a lot slower than the easy off. plus it's almost 20 bucks plus shipping. DUH! no brainer there for me.
you'll know when the easy off has done it's work , you will see a gray yucky smut on the aluminum . it usually takes a couple of coats to egt the part all the way clear of the anodizing. It's a 4 part process
(1) spray
(2)cover and
(3)walk away for a couple hours,
(4)clean and check.
if not done go to the start (1) it's not a hard process but it does take a bit of time.I usually am doing 10 or 20 different thing (I have the old persons ailment "Can't remembe @##$ and gets distracted easily") according to my wife so it works out for me. I do try to stay on track but it doesn't work.:banghead:

here's a sample of what my bezels looked like

all dinged and beat up
View attachment DSCF3694.jpg

after soaking in cleaner and removing most of the anodizing and paint plus using the harbor freight aluminum brazing rods to fix a hole or 2.
View attachment 0122131401a.jpg

passengers side done getting ready for the drivers side.
View attachment 0208131615.jpg

done deal. (well not really I have to finish polishing up the pieces and waxing them) but you get the drift of what they can look like if you spend a bit of time on em.
View attachment 0208131615b.jpg

To all of you, a BIG THANKS. I have some Easy-off blue top that i used before. I just didn't let it work long enough.

To all of you, a BIG THANKS. I have some Easy-off blue top that i used before. I just didn't let it work long enough.

THANKS 6packattack;
there is lots of beating,sanding and cussing on those 2 bezels, I think the previous owner used the front end (all the car really)as a stop. ya know when it goes "crunch" you back up a little and your parked.
and I think he might have pissed of a wife or girlfriend too since there were weird dent's ALL over the other trim and body.

Denvermike;
I have never had the blue top work(it's a ECO friendly solution,no or low amounts of lye) and just doesn't work as good if it works at all. the yellow top contains the lye which is what works the anodizing. look on the label and see if it has the chemical sodium hydroxide (lye) more is better.

I get faster, better results with Drano kitchen crystals (same active ingedient) in a bucket of hot water. 20 min. or less. Pull the part and rinse.

drainobathimg.jpg

"Strip tank" (vinyl gutter and end caps) for long pieces of trim.

raingutterimg.jpg

Yeah me too! I use draino also (striping the dash pieces ect.) but I haven't made up a tray for my bigger pieces . oops well I did use a 3 inch PVC pipe capped on one end and threaded on the other to do my door,hood and fender trim in.
But for the grill and headlight bezels it was just easier for me to spray easy off oven cleanerthan search to find a tray to fit them. I do have to admit it's cheaper using draino than easyoff and then there is the commercial stuff that's easily 3 or 4 times more expensive and all the stuff i use with the same ingredient.

-
Back